I honestly just now realized, after 6 months of being a 9700 owner, that BlackBerry Maps is an actual application...To my knowledge, there has never been an icon or a prompt for me to load it. ( And I have wiped, reloaded and shrunk the OS, several times) I am far from an expert but I know my way around my 9700 pretty good. I just assumed BB Maps was a data source for which the GPS worked from. I have been using Mapquest for a while, which works well, but I have never been impressed with any 9700 GPS software to date. That is until I just downloaded BB Maps and ran it for the first time. Wouldn't you think it would come preloaded on the device? Or did it and I am just blind?

I have always used my regular GPS when needed because everything else I have loaded on my BB was just not user friendly. I love the idea of having a native app for GPS now.

Go ahead and laugh...I can handle it....
    Last edited by 1425956; 02-17-11 at 09:03 PM.
    02-17-11 09:00 PM
    Some of us older individuals call those times ( Senior Moments ) bb maps comes preloaded I do believe. Google maps works fairly well also. But just think how fun it was to learn somthing new about your phone that you thought you already knew.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

02-18-11 03:49 AM
    I was under the impression that AT&T blocked this. You have AT&T listed as your provider. Is this information no longer up to date, or can we use BB Maps now?
    02-18-11 09:01 AM
    AT&T can use BB Maps, but you have to get the service books from somewhere else, I believe. There are several threads on CB about getting BB Maps on AT&T. I use Google Maps, so I've never bothered.
    02-18-11 09:28 AM
    I see. I also use Google Maps, and have since I used it on my 9630 on Verizon.
    02-18-11 10:01 AM
    After reading the replies, and searching the forum, this all now makes sense to me. I am on AT&T and I did not know until today that AT&T blocked BB Maps. I am assuming they do this to get you to pay them $9.99 a month to use AT&T Navigator. You CAN use BB Maps on AT&T and it works fine. I downloaded BB Maps from the RIM website and saved the link they sent me via email. It looks like all that is actually getting downloaded is a file called lbs_ribbon. Complete the download and do a battery pull. Hope this helps and thank you to those of you who responded with info. I hope this helps someone else out.

Thank You.
    02-21-11 09:28 PM
    I did exactly what you said, and I cannot find it on my device anywhere.
    02-21-11 10:16 PM
    Copy and paste the link below into the browser of your BB, or point your BB browser to: www.blackberry.com/send/maps

http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/dev...&CPID=SENDLINK

Then, click on the "download now" link,

then navigate to bottom of the page and check the "I accept" box then click next

then click the download button. Follow any remaining steps.

Use QuickPull or do a battery pull and see if that works.

Do you know what the BB Maps icon looks like so you know what to look for after reboot?
    Follow the instructions on the screen and let us know if that works...
    02-21-11 10:29 PM
    If BB Maps doesn't work, Google maps is a very good map app. It is great to use in conjunction with the Poynt app.
    02-22-11 06:37 AM
    Copy and paste the link below into the browser of your BB, or point your BB browser to: www.blackberry.com/send/maps

http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/dev...&CPID=SENDLINK

Then, click on the "download now" link,

then navigate to bottom of the page and check the "I accept" box then click next

then click the download button. Follow any remaining steps.

Use QuickPull or do a battery pull and see if that works.

Do you know what the BB Maps icon looks like so you know what to look for after reboot?
    Follow the instructions on the screen and let us know if that works...
    That is exactly what I did, and it is not there. Oh well, no biggie, I will just go back to using Google Maps.
    02-22-11 06:57 AM
    I use google, Bing, Sprint Nav & also BB maps & I must say...BBmaps is a waste of memory I think, I know a lot of people swear by it but I see no advantage over Google & Bing. I also know a lot of people hate Bing but I just started with it & I think I am really going to like it. I only use Sprint Nav when I need true navigation. I only use the others to find something or to get distance to where im going.
    02-22-11 09:53 PM
    OMGMOADMSODMDOAMOMGGM WHAT A SUPER NOOB!!!!!!

Just kidding
    02-22-11 09:57 PM
    my GPS is not working
    it says "searching for satellite" and it never finds one :S
    Could be your GPS in your phone is locked. What phone do you own? Many of the older Verizon blackberrys had locked GPS that would only work with their software.

02-22-11 10:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD