Very interesting thing happened to my texts... In a high level meeting and was texting back and forth with an associate. Went back a couple of hours later to review our text conversation, and VIOLA!, all of the texts had 1) Had my associates name Changed; and 2) The body of the text had been blanked out. This happened not only on the texts in that particular conversation, but all texts which had my associates name. Additionally, his entry was gone out of my address book, substituted with the body of a random, old email from my Inbox.

Talked to Verizon, they had never heard of this, also spoke to contacts I have within the cellular world, and they have never heard of such a thing...

I suspect by the nature of the texts we were exchanging, that my "associate" maliciously deployed some sort of macro to erase his tracks.

Anyone here have any ideas? If so, how do I stop it from occurring again?
    04-21-10 06:40 PM
    "High level meeting" LOL
    04-21-10 07:07 PM
    "VIOLA!" "associate" LOL LOL LOL my stomach actually hurts LOL
    04-21-10 08:40 PM
    Very interesting thing happened to my texts... In a high level meeting and was texting back and forth with an associate. Went back a couple of hours later to review our text conversation, and VIOLA!, all of the texts had 1) Had my associates name Changed; and 2) The body of the text had been blanked out. This happened not only on the texts in that particular conversation, but all texts which had my associates name. Additionally, his entry was gone out of my address book, substituted with the body of a random, old email from my Inbox.

Talked to Verizon, they had never heard of this, also spoke to contacts I have within the cellular world, and they have never heard of such a thing...

I suspect by the nature of the texts we were exchanging, that my "associate" maliciously deployed some sort of macro to erase his tracks.

Anyone here have any ideas? If so, how do I stop it from occurring again?
    What kind of BlackBerry? What operating system? Is it the default SMS application? We need more information in order to come to an educated conclusion.
    04-22-10 08:27 AM
    SMS, 8830, v4.5.0.175 (platform 3.4.0.55), 3.6 gb of free memory.

FYI. I was able to retrieve the texts by forwarding as an email. Some have suggested that the device memory could have been full causing it act strangely, however, I have a 4 gig media card installed of which only 400mb is in use. Perhaps this is an anomaly, but it is peculiar.
    04-22-10 01:43 PM

FYI. I was able to retrieve the texts by forwarding as an email. Some have suggested that the device memory could have been full causing it act strangely, however, I have a 4 gig media card installed of which only 400mb is in use. Perhaps this is an anomaly, but it is peculiar.
    Apps, messages, contacts, calendar, memo's, browser cache/history, are all stored on the devices memory so it all depends on how full it is. The media card doesn't help in this regard.
    Last edited by YaBoiD; 04-22-10 at 02:01 PM.
    04-22-10 01:57 PM

Your device memory is way too low. Anything under 12mb on that device and things start getting deleted, like emails, SMS, etc. Check in the 8830 section about this, and you will find ways to increase your device memory.
    04-22-10 03:14 PM
    Your device memory is way too low. Anything under 12mb on that device and things start getting deleted, like emails, SMS, etc. Check in the 8830 section about this, and you will find ways to increase your device memory.
    100% wrong.
    04-22-10 03:19 PM
    100% wrong.
    care to give a little more info on why he is 100% wrong??
    04-22-10 03:23 PM
    care to give a little more info on why he is 100% wrong??
    Um, figure it out. An 8830 can run well under 12MB (well under 1MB actually) before anything will be deleted.
    04-22-10 03:28 PM
    Um, figure it out. An 8830 can run well under 12MB (well under 1MB actually) before anything will be deleted.
    Now wouldn't it have been easier to state that all in one post instead of being a ****** and saying "100% wrong" and not explaining for other people that might not know how to figure it out
    04-22-10 03:43 PM
    Play nice kids. Thread has been cleaned up and re-opened.

*edit* If anyone needs "explanation" about the posts left and lost, they can PM me about it.
    04-22-10 03:43 PM
    In my experience with the 8830, I lost stuff at about 10mb on the device. It is pretty well discussed in the 8830 section about memory loss, and where you should keep the device memory so that you do not lose important information.
    04-22-10 05:08 PM
    In my experience with the 8830, I lost stuff at about 10mb on the device. It is pretty well discussed in the 8830 section about memory loss, and where you should keep the device memory so that you do not lose important information.
    Again, no. I run under 4MB free almost exclusively and have NEVER lost anything. Many times under 1MB as well. Nothing will be lost.
    04-22-10 06:07 PM
    Again, no. I run under 4MB free almost exclusively and have NEVER lost anything. Many times under 1MB as well. Nothing will be lost.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/ema...y-erased-2935/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/jus...5mb-left-50647

http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/exa...-memory-18405/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/883...essages-17179/

Looks like you are one of the few that haven't lost anything.
    04-22-10 06:15 PM
    No accounting for user-error.
    04-22-10 06:18 PM
    No accounting for user-error.
    There sure isn't. I would have to say that your situation is an unlikely one. Myself, along with others, have suffered memory loss, including the OP. You telling me that I am wrong because it hasn't happened to you is not helping the situation or the OP out in any way.
    04-22-10 06:43 PM
    Out of curiosity, is it even possible to send malware/viruses in something so small as a text?
    04-22-10 06:46 PM
    Out of curiosity, is it even possible to send malware/viruses in something so small as a text?
    No, and especially not on a BlackBerry.
    04-22-10 06:51 PM
    Play nice kids. Thread has been cleaned up and re-opened.

*edit* If anyone needs "explanation" about the posts left and lost, they can PM me about it.
    why waste time for the BS you will feed my about why he can troll?

or he is a troll that likes to lie either way.
    04-23-10 02:43 PM
    Come on people settle the **** down! Memory loss IS the most likely culprit! So who want to be the first one to get bashed on the head with my mod stick? j/k But seriously folks, you guys know better!
    04-23-10 03:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD