I'm downgrading my data plan to save money, since wifi means I have regular access to data anyway.

On the iphone, you can set applications to be wifi only, but I can't figure out how to do it on the crackberry.

Have a blackberry curve 8520, and would like to leave my voice network on, but set my e-mail accounts, facebook, browser, google search, and weather eye (plus maybe a few other apps) to wifi only. That way my phone isn't automatically downloading data to those applications. Anyone know how to do that?

Thanks,

bakerqin
    11-20-10 01:12 PM
    Well setting your email accounts,for instance,isn't possible through wifi as well as most of the apps.. I'm curious to know if there's any workaround though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-10 04:16 PM
    I'm downgrading my data plan to save money, since wifi means I have regular access to data anyway.

On the iphone, you can set applications to be wifi only, but I can't figure out how to do it on the crackberry.

Have a blackberry curve 8520, and would like to leave my voice network on, but set my e-mail accounts, facebook, browser, google search, and weather eye (plus maybe a few other apps) to wifi only. That way my phone isn't automatically downloading data to those applications. Anyone know how to do that?

Thanks,

bakerqin
    Any of the native apps (add-on) including email will automaticially use WiFi if you have it enabled; 3rd party apps might need you to manually set them to WiFi if they have a setting for it.
    11-20-10 04:18 PM
    Genomos -

I've been reading other forums that don't try to do the same thing but seem to have to do with using apps only through wifi. Some do seem to operate that way, and others don't.

What I worry about is when I am away from wifi sources, and e-mail and other apps begin to use satellite to receive info. Is there a way to turn that off, without affecting my phone use? It seems if I tell the BB to stop seeking a signal, I can't make or receive phone calls; if I keep the phone operating, there will automatically be updates to a slew of apps. Any ideas around this?
    11-20-10 09:27 PM
    There are several apps that will only work with a BIS plan. Make sure to keep a limited one. If you turn the radio off and leave a WiFi area you will not have phone service.
    11-20-10 10:59 PM
    Genomos -

I've been reading other forums that don't try to do the same thing but seem to have to do with using apps only through wifi. Some do seem to operate that way, and others don't.

What I worry about is when I am away from wifi sources, and e-mail and other apps begin to use satellite to receive info. Is there a way to turn that off, without affecting my phone use? It seems if I tell the BB to stop seeking a signal, I can't make or receive phone calls; if I keep the phone operating, there will automatically be updates to a slew of apps. Any ideas around this?
    Yes, go to Options -> Mobile Network, Data Services: set this to Off. This will only affect your data usage, not your phone/text usage. Keep in mind you'll need to re-enable this setting when you get back in WiFi range because it disables WiFi as well.

11-21-10 12:39 AM

Thanks,

bakerqin
    Hi

Use Aerize Wifix.

here are some details
    Aerize WiFiX – Force Applications to Work Over Wi-Fi | BerryReview.com
    11-21-10 04:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD