I'm planning to split my App into 2 versions, one is free and the other is paid (to pay for my website expenses).

However I don't want the free version to be too limited, lol.

What do you all think is the best approach? should I disable few options in the free version or limit the number of led contacts to 5, like other apps do ! there are a lot of other features I can disable or limit as well.

Let me know what you guys/girls think ?
    No matter what you decide, I'll be paying for full features. It really is hard to break it down. Maybe just make half of these utilities available: LED/Sound/Pop-up, Operation System Utilities, Phone Call Features, and Application Integration. That way users can get a taste.

Another thought... if you are just going to decide to make it paid, you might want to think about adding something new. Not sure what yet, but I am sure there will be some people who will complain. Doesn't matter to me though. I will be paying just to help support the cause with or without new features.

There are developers out there who have a hefty price tag that provide little to no support and who can be quite rude. I have not really experienced it first hand due to the fact that maybe I just know how to communicate. But I have seen it here on CrackBerry. You on the other hand, provide an excellent app at no charge with support that goes above and beyond all expectations and you answer many silly questions with respect.

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk
    Last edited by dustanh; 10-28-12 at 01:57 PM.
    10-28-12 12:08 PM
    First, I'm happy to pay you now.

I think it would be best to limit the sub-options under the several options. This way folks will see the power of your app and whet their appetite. So, as you suggested number of LEDs, etc.

Hope you can set up a way to keep all or most of the charge.
    Yes I was thinking this would be the best approach

and a 2 dollar one time, with free upgrades, as a price tag would be fine I guess.

I'm going restrict the following in the free version:

- 5 led contacts
    - 3 ilaunch items for each type
    - 2 multi led colors
    - no auto delete bbm history In the bbm feature
    - cannot change the redial and save new number auto close time

That's it really, so many people wont be able to tell the difference since everything else will stay the same, the point is not to make money, it's just to cover website expenses

My next update will have few bug fixes, nothing major, so people can still use the current version as long as they like
    10-28-12 01:19 PM
    Another thought... if you are just going to decide to make it paid, you might want to think about adding something new. Not sure what yet, but I am sure there will be some people who will complain. Doesn't matter to me though. I will be paying just to help support the cause with or without new features.

This is a valid point, maybe I can add a new small feature, any ideas ?
    10-28-12 01:42 PM
    Hey Sultan,

Mecca and I talk quite often about how awesome the app is - and I, like the other posters here, will happily purchase the full app in payment for the app, your exceptional hard work and support.

Two thoughts:

1) I believe you can legitimately ask for more than $2 - $3 or $4 would not be out of line at all

2) You might consider selling "modules" - for example, personally I only use the LED functions, and the OS utilities only. Not sure how you could package things, and it might be more trouble than it is worth, byt thought I would kick in the suggestion.

Again, I will happily pay the price for everything - even @ $4!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    wolfee48 and Sultan Al Sooz like this.
    10-28-12 01:45 PM
    Hmm... Let me think for a little bit and look through my apps/settings.

10-28-12 03:54 PM
    Yes I was thinking this would be the best approach

and a 2 dollar one time, with free upgrades, as a price tag would be fine I guess.

I'm going restrict the following in the free version:

- 5 led contacts
    - 2 multi led colors
    - cannot change the redial and save new number auto close time

That's it really, so many people wont be able to tell the difference since everything else will stay the same, the point is not to make money, it's just to cover website expenses

My next update will have few bug fixes, nothing major, so people can still use the current version as long as they like
    ok, few changes

- 5 led contacts - 8 led contacts
    - 2 multi led colors
    - cannot change the redial and save new number auto close time - 4 email accounts ( Max is 10 for any bb phone)
    10-28-12 04:51 PM
    ok, few changes

- 5 led contacts - 8 led contacts
    - 2 multi led colors
    - cannot change the redial and save new number auto close time - 4 email accounts ( Max is 10 for any bb phone)
    hi sultan. just a thought.

why don't u just give full function of your app for free but with limit time. means they can try it out for all the functions they wanted but only for, say, 10 days? after that it will be limited functions until they've paid for the full version.

#blackberry by choice. Sent from my 9800 non-slide slider.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    10-28-12 07:13 PM
    hi sultan. just a thought.

why don't u just give full function of your app for free but with limit time. means they can try it out for all the functions they wanted but only for, say, 10 days? after that it will be limited functions until they've paid for the full version.

Good idea

But that's why I'm not making it very limited, so many people won't even need to get the pro version, cause I'm keeping the apps, custom, network and battery leds untouched. Plus all the other 20+ features will function normally.

I have not seen 1 friend of mine use more than 8 led contacts
    10-28-12 07:37 PM
    Good idea

But that's why I'm not making it very limited, so many people won't even need to get the pro version, cause I'm keeping the apps, custom, network and battery leds untouched. Plus all the other 20+ features will function normally.

I have not seen 1 friend of mine use more than 8 led contacts
    yup.

at least let em know the full functions or the
    WRATH of your powerful app.
    well, a preview is always a good promotional ads for a product.

10-28-12 07:53 PM
    I like that idea a lot!
    10-28-12 08:08 PM
    I think every user of your app it's glad to you for your work, so I think it's enough (for the website cost) a Donate to solve it.. anyway you can do

free: very basic use, like led for calls and mail
    pro: all the other
    10-29-12 03:29 AM
    The Pro version is waiting App World approval.

Once its approved, i will update the free version with the following restrictions

( this is what i think a normal user would be happy with )

- 8 led contacts.
    - 12 ilaunch items (3 for each type).
    - 3 LED multi-colors.
    - 3 email accounts.
    - No auto delete bbm history in the bbm feature.
    - No App Settings Backup and Restore.

thats the final list of changes, both versions are typically identical except for the above limitations in the free version.

the Pro version is not license restricted, so once you download it, you can copy the files using bbsak and distribute it to your family and friends

If i collect enough, i will purchase a new domain name for AOSLED to make it easier and more official, alsooz.com is my personal domain and i would like to use it for other purposes.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    10-29-12 04:15 AM
    This is one of my fav apps on BB! Would gladly donate/buy the full version ) keep up the good work, Sultan
    10-29-12 06:05 AM
    Excellent approach, I'll purchase when available.
    10-29-12 06:58 AM

I guess you didn't like the addonis idea? ;-)

And yes, this app is worth its weight in gold! Thank you for its continued development!
    10-29-12 06:34 PM
    I guess you didn't like the addonis idea? ;-)

And yes, this app is worth its weight in gold! Thank you for its continued development!
    not at all, its the best technical approach

addons (plug-ins) is what i should have thought of earlier, it makes the app perfect for expansion, however its something i should have designed right from the start and cannot be added at this stage.

my current approach is a simple one, it allows me to add more features to my app then create two versions (free and paid) with just changing 2 words in my code

as for the features you mentioned, i like few of them and saved your post for later use when i finally decide on my next step in terms of software development in my free time
    wolfee48 and coffee-turtle like this.
    10-30-12 12:23 AM
    You should definitely add a "Donate" button to your website (or possibly on FaceBook page?) for those of us who use your app and are happy to donate to the cause. Maybe even some of the free version users might have an extra couple of bucks saved from not stopping at Starbucks one morning to donate. I also agree with the poster that said your app could easily sell for more than $2, but I probably would try to keep to $3 or $4 at the most if at all possible, not because it is not worth more because it is worth more, but to keep more happy customers.
    Batter Pudding and BlazorBoy like this.
    10-30-12 11:48 AM
    You should definitely add a "Donate" button to your website (or possibly on FaceBook page?) for those of us who use your app and are happy to donate to the cause. Maybe even some of the free version users might have an extra couple of bucks saved from not stopping at Starbucks one morning to donate. I also agree with the poster that said your app could easily sell for more than $2, but I probably would try to keep to $3 or $4 at the most if at all possible, not because it is not worth more because it is worth more, but to keep more happy customers.
    I agree that $3/4 is quite reasonable and I'm sure you will have great reviews to justify it.

I like the idea of a donate button (it's been hard to get you to take any funds). Only, for us Luddites that do not use Facebook or PayPal I hope you can take credit cards or some other direct way.
    10-30-12 12:02 PM
    Paid version is also the donate version

The reason I didn't make a lot of limitations in the free version is because I want people to continue enjoying all features for free, and to purchase the paid version if they are serious heavy users or want to donate, I also made sure that users led contacts remain after updating the free version even if they have 100 led contacts, same goes for ilaunch items, they just won't be able to add more

Pro version is up already, App World link is on my website www.alsooz.com.
    10-30-12 12:11 PM
    Paid version is also the donate version

The reason I didn't make a lot of limitations in the free version is because I want people to continue enjoying all features for free, and to purchase the paid version if they are serious heavy users or want to donate, I also made sure that users led contacts remain after updating the free version even if they have 100 led contacts, same goes for ilaunch items, they just won't be able to add more

Pro version is up already, App World link is on my website Sultan Al Sooz Website.
    Should we uninstall the old (free) version before installing the Pro or will it install over the old version? I want to be among the first to pay for it!!! (Very rare for me.)
    10-30-12 12:25 PM
    Should we uninstall the old (free) version before installing the Pro or will it install over the old version? I want to be among the first to pay for it!!! (Very rare for me.)
    No need to uninstall, it will nicely replace itself
    10-30-12 12:32 PM
    No need to uninstall, it will nicely replace itself
    I just bought it and nothing downloaded, so I bought it again and still no download???? Help please.
    10-30-12 01:01 PM
    Pro version is up already, App World link is on my website Sultan Al Sooz Website.
    I bought it in this moment

thanks!
    10-30-12 01:13 PM
    I just bought it and nothing downloaded, so I bought it again and still no download???? Help please.
    Don't worry about it, maybe it's still not available in your country, if it did charge you (check your bill ) then I can trace your transaction and provide you with a way to download it for free
    10-30-12 01:17 PM
    I just checked my transactions and there was no double payments, so you didn't get charged

i believe App World would only charge you once the download is complete, they learned from previous mistakes, so nothing to worry about, you can try later in the evening when you can
    10-30-12 01:40 PM
419 ... 14151617
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD