View Poll Results: Would you consider purchasing this for your luxury auto?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
    I'm a part time (read retired but bored with the life) electronics consultant who works with a Japanese luxury auto maker. Yes, that one .

An associate who knows my fascination with smart phones asked me a question, and I'd like to pose it to you all.

Would you have any interest in an application that can "call" your automobile, and start it, keep the doors locked, and based on weather conditions fire up the heat/AC/defroster/seat heaters/mirror de-icers, etc. ?

The concept would be a reciever in your auto, with it's own number, that can read envrionmental conditions AND control all the above features via a signal from your mobile. The smart phone comes into play by being able to override pre-decided functions and send a custom signal that starts/stops any of the controls as you command. Of course a dumb phone version that simply calls to fire up the defaults would be made as well.

This is a real possibility. The technology already exists, and most of it is already in the vehicle using only a small part of it's potential. Please vote on the poll and leave any comments.

Please understand that I can't answer specific questions with too much detail, as I am still under my NDA with said auto maker. This "question" is currently being marketed at several locations so this info is fine to share. Any and all input would be appreciated.
    09-01-09 10:23 PM
    I would be interested, I live in AZ 110 degrees in summer!! I have a car starter for A/C, but would love to control everything with one device, instead of extra remotes for these features.. WM w/infrared was able to learn codes using third party apps, I could lock/unlock my doors w/my phone, but it was pretty picky about the distance. The options you speak of would be great..The big question would be cost of equip and install, as well as bypassing security features on some of the high end cars, which could void things.. I WOULD LIKE TO BETA TEST FOR YOU!!!!!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-09 11:08 PM
    Wow that sounds very exciting. It sounds like a wonderful application of smart phone tech

09-01-09 11:19 PM
    Yes, IR and Bluetooth were both kicked around and tossed simply because of range. Your car would need it's own number from your cell carrier, probably (hopefully) at an affordable rate. I'm not privy to any negotiations with cell companies, so I have no idea other than all major North American carriers have expressed interest.

The cost would likely not be very prohibitive. The hardware that controls the actual vehicle systems is already in place, and the controller module with an incoming telephony reciever would be all that is required. Having said that, I would still imagine this is a $1K + item, based on past experiences with said company and new electronic technology

Security is of course a concern. From what I gather this would be a factory installed option in new cars, then an aftermarket solution would be worked on. We did kick some ideas around that should deal with MOST security concerns.

As for beta testing, if this comes to fruition and there is a need I will certainly contact you. Note you will have to be behind me on the list
    09-01-09 11:24 PM
    Yes, IR and Bluetooth were both kicked around and tossed simply because of range. Your car would need it's own number from your cell carrier, probably (hopefully) at an affordable rate. I'm not privy to any negotiations with cell companies, so I have no idea other than all major North American carriers have expressed interest.

The cost would likely not be very prohibitive. The hardware that controls the actual vehicle systems is already in place, and the controller module with an incoming telephony reciever would be all that is required. Having said that, I would still imagine this is a $1K + item, based on past experiences with said company and new electronic technology

Security is of course a concern. From what I gather this would be a factory installed option in new cars, then an aftermarket solution would be worked on. We did kick some ideas around that should deal with MOST security concerns.

As for beta testing, if this comes to fruition and there is a need I will certainly contact you. Note you will have to be behind me on the list
    I dunno which said Japanese car company u work with, but I have an 09 Mitsu Lancer GTS, and if u need any canadian testers (esp in cold winters here) I would be MORE THAN willing to beta!!!
    09-02-09 12:04 AM

The number I imagine wouldn't be much more than onstar service, I know its different, but who knows how big of a market is there.. Considering convenience , the price seems right..I'm subscribed to this thred.. I love gadgets and cars and have experience with both.. Keep me in mind if you need anything..

09-02-09 12:19 AM
    I own a Lexus GS350 & would be willing to test as long as there are no issues with anything voiding my warranty...
    09-02-09 12:21 AM
    Interesting, but would the thieves also be able to get to it?

B B
    09-03-09 12:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD