I know this is not normal for 9700's, so I am finally posting a thread on this to see if anyone can help me. I updated my OS to 5.0.0.602 via OTA about a month ago, and it ate up a significant portion of my app memory. I am currently down to 25.8 and have about 12 apps (none of which are currently running). I had the same apps before the upgrade and i have more than a 100 mb.

Also, a few weeks ago, i started noticing that during calls my audio flickers in and out. I think that my phone thinks that i am pluggining in a 3.5mm audio cable during the call. i'm not really sure why this happens, but it makes it very difficult to have a phone conversation. Also, when i do plug in a 3.5 mm wire to listen to music in my car, my phone reboots!

Has anyone else had these issues? Is it hardware or software related? Do i need to wipe my phone and reload the software? I kind of dont want to do that bc its a company phone phone and i will have to ask them to activate the enterprise account again- which is annoying bc our IT guy is super annoying. But, if this is the only solution i might as well.

If it is a hardware issue, ill just turn it into IT and let them get me a replacement.
    Last edited by eyhab27; 07-20-10 at 02:19 PM. Reason: update
    07-20-10 02:18 PM
    You have to have something eating the memory. When you take the battery. Out and put it back in how much memory do you have? Have you cleaned out your browser cache?

Maybe the upgrade went badly could be the problem too

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-10 08:53 PM
    my memory holds at around 25-26mb after complete reboot. it does not leak to zero like it did for my Storm 1. I cleared my cache and it did nothing.

i really want to wait until 6.0 releases to do it once, but we dont have any idea when that will be, if it happens at all for the 9700.
    07-21-10 11:19 AM
    It sounds like something is wrong. Having only 25 mb left is virtually impossible on these phone unless you have over 100 apps lol.

I'd definitely ask for a replacement.
    07-21-10 11:33 AM
    Replacement? Try reloading the OS first. You can also look at options > status > bb menu > database sizes to see what the large items are...

07-21-10 11:36 AM
    Well I only say replacement b/c it sounds like he's having more than one problem.

But yea, if you don't wanna go through the trouble it might be worth a shot to reinstall the OS like shansmi said and see if that clears up your problems.
    07-21-10 11:45 AM
    Memory being used by a "pig" app is one thing. If the RAM was bad it "should" be acting like PC with bad RAM. I have never had one loose sound with a bad DIMM. The audio flicker is a common problem usually solved by actually using a headset or blowing out the jack with a can of compressed air...

07-21-10 11:57 AM
    Replacement? Try reloading the OS first. You can also look at options > status > bb menu > database sizes to see what the large items are...

Thanks for the tip!

well total size is 41905.1K, with the majority of it taken up by messages- 13111/36831. Does that mean that i have 36.8 mbs of message?

thats a lot, but still doesnt tell me where the rest of my app memory is dissappearing. how do i find out how much app memory is being taken up by the OS?
    07-21-10 03:13 PM
    Messages is sms/mms and email so if I am reading this right, 13k messages totaling 36M of space (app space). I am betting there are more. What applications do you have installed. I start at about 127M and wind up about 118 once everything is installed the back up to about 125M after maxmem. Some apps cache so it norms out about 122M.

07-21-10 04:07 PM
    i have google maps, google sync, google voice, kayak, pandora, personal assistant, poynt, scoremobile, and weathereye installed
    07-21-10 04:26 PM
    Should be close to 100MB of app space left depending on how much each app has cached. You can get ~10MB back with maxmem ( I don't reboot until I do the top 4 on BIS and I skip MDS on my BES device). I would have to see the entire database sizes list to see where the rest is one I compared it to one of my devices.

07-21-10 08:32 PM
    Hmmmm. Just a novice. Wish I knew what u guys knew about this phone. Seems like yall push the limits of these devices which is awesome.

07-21-10 10:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD