Can someone please tell me why when I change to a non-stock theme on my 9000, it drains my app memory in less than a day, it is really a pain because I like some of the free themes on CB but can't use them. I have to reboot constantly in order to free up memory. Anyone know how to plug this hole ?
    09-29-10 09:56 AM
    Its called a memory leak. Poor programming or very little or non effective garbage collection. No real way for you to "fix" it yourself.
    09-29-10 10:44 AM
    Its called a memory leak. Poor programming or very little or non effective garbage collection. No real way for you to "fix" it yourself.
    Please enlighten us on what you mean by "poor programming?"
    09-29-10 11:53 AM
    Use a hybrid OS, and get QuickPull lite. The hybrid frees up some memory, and with QuickPull you can mimic a battery pull that will keep you memory up as well. Just set a timer for QuickPull, and you can wake up to a fast running Bold 9000.
    09-29-10 11:53 AM
    I do have quickpull lite, and it is set to do a quick pull right before I wake up in the morning. I would go to a hybrid OS, but the last time I tried that I had to recover my phone from a windows command line. Thanks for the information. I may just have to deal with it until I can upgrade.
    09-29-10 12:52 PM
    Rockdog, i love your work, so dont take anything wrong.....

Having a theme for OS 4.6 on a OS 5.0 device is the biggest factor for having a memory leak in a theme. The OS needs to have everything the way it likes to for it to work properly instead of trying to be backwards compatible with an older OS theme.
    09-29-10 03:40 PM
    Rockdog, i love your work, so dont take anything wrong.....

Having a theme for OS 4.6 on a OS 5.0 device is the biggest factor for having a memory leak in a theme. The OS needs to have everything the way it likes to for it to work properly instead of trying to be backwards compatible with an older OS theme.
    No offence taken.. and glad you like my themes. I guess my question was by "poor programing" is that within the specific OS, such as all the "Leaked" programs, or is it within a specific theme... as Theme builders, we dont really "program" anything as much as we just change things around.. well I guess you could say that making svg files in composer is programming of sorts..

So again, is "poor programming" a function of the OS or the Theme, or both?

If it's a function of the theme, what aspects of a theme contribute to memory leak? Too much animation? Too many large graphics files? 3rd Party applications? If there are things that we as theme builders can/should be doing to minimize memory leaks, then I'm all for that...just need to figure out what that is...

and what is "very little or non effective garbage collection?"
    09-29-10 04:03 PM
    Didnt they (RIM) release the OS 5.0 Theme Builder a yr ago? and the OS 6.0 Theme builder a couple months ago?

I would think everything in a theme would relate to the memory stability of a phone. The phone has to process every transition (uses memory), every picture (bigger dpi = more memory) and any custom sounds would have to stored on the ram to allow the OS to access it at any given second.
    09-30-10 01:59 AM
    I've tried installing 5.0 themes and I've still got a memory leak. I didn't delete the 4.6 themes, but that shouldn't be causing the issue should it.

I guess it could be a 3rd party app that is causing my problem. I sure would like to know.
    10-01-10 12:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD