I'm getting my mom a BB and I am concerned that she may leave it somewhere accidentally and not be able to retrieve it. So I'm looking for an app or service where if it is lost, or God forbid stolen, she can find it and/or lock the phone so no one else can use it. I prefer a solution that isn't always on and draining the battery.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm thinking that as my mom doesn't have a computer I would have to track it/ lock it myself by my computer. Any help appreciated, my mom is older and sometimes she forgets things.
    06-19-09 12:39 PM
    This one is well reviewed. $6.95 with a free trial available.

Berry Locator - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store

Whether your Blackberry is lost under the couch cushions, or left in a coffee shop, Berry Locator helps you locate and recover your lost BlackBerry. Send an email to your BlackBerry with a custom phrase in the subject line, and your BlackBerry will make as much racket as possible, even if it is in silent mode.

What if you aren't the one to find it? Berry Locator displays the body of your email message on the screen, so you can send a message and contact information to whoever picks it up.

Even better, if your device is GPS-enabled, Berry Locator will email you a map indicating where your device is located. (Verizon currently blocks 3rd party GPS access, so Berry Locator won't be able to return a map for Verizon devices.)

Features:
    - Locate your BlackBerry by simply sending an email to your device.
    - A loud alarm will go off even if your BlackBerry is in quite mode.
    - Loud sound alert + flashing screen + flashing LED for easy retrieval.
    - Content of email is displayed on screen so you can send retrieval instructions to finder.
    - Customize your keyword to locate your BlackBerry.
    - For GPS devices, a map showing the location of your BlackBerry is sent.
    06-19-09 12:42 PM
    Hey thanks! Anyone tried Roblock or SmrtGuard?
    06-19-09 01:09 PM
    Hey thanks! Anyone tried Roblock or SmrtGuard?
    Here is a SmrtGuard review:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/sma...y-take-242754/
    Last edited by Riders On The Storm; 06-19-09 at 01:15 PM.
    06-19-09 01:13 PM
    Smrtguard also includes a wiping feature which might be something appealing if there will be lots of important contacts or other information on this phone.
    06-19-09 01:15 PM
    I use Smrtguard and it is a really good application to use for backup etc..

The only problem with it right now if you are running OS 4.6.0.266 is that it has a Personal Guardian (kind of like a panic button)that will call 911 or send out text message/email to who you have set it to contact. This feature is used by holding down menu button for 8 seconds but quick application menu pops up.

Well worth the $ if you want something that you hope you never have to use.
    06-19-09 01:26 PM
    Smrtguard is the truth!
    06-19-09 01:27 PM
    I use Smrtguard and it is a really good application to use for backup etc..

The only problem with it right now if you are running OS 4.6.0.266 is that it has a Personal Guardian (kind of like a panic button)that will call 911 or send out text message/email to who you have set it to contact. This feature is used by holding down menu button for 8 seconds but quick application menu pops up.

Well worth the $ if you want something that you hope you never have to use.
    Does smrtguard run all of the time or once it's installed is it good to go? Does it hurt your battery life?
    06-19-09 01:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD