08-08-09 12:31 AM
28 12
tools
    On the morning of April 1st, the long awaited (or at least long awaited on my part which was about a week of anticipation) LiveStrong application was finally available on the blackberry website (and on the blackberry App World downloadable browser). By the late afternoon (when I checked again), it was no longer available. After a few hours of frustration on my part, I realized that it had been removed for some mysterious reason. I have emailed blackberry technical support and am hoping for an answer shortly.
    04-02-09 10:28 AM
    I too was wondering what happened with this app
    04-02-09 10:30 AM
    i'd be interested to know why it disappeared... i hadn't even heard of the app. but sounds odd to me.

what does it do?
    04-02-09 11:42 AM
    maybe its gone because it's terrible. worst $3 i've ever spent. i'm sure it would be halfway decent if it actually worked properly for the storm, but as it stands now it's bad
    04-02-09 12:24 PM
    The LIVESTRONG.COM Calorie Tracker application is the companion tool to The Daily Plate service, available for $2.99 at BlackBerry App World™. The Daily Plate at LIVESTRONG.COM helps you determine a daily calorie target based on your weight and weight goal. Then you can search the extensive database of more than 525,000 foods for nutritional information including fat, sugar, carbohydrates, cholesterol and more. You can also search 2,000 fitness items and calculate how many calories you can burn with those activities. With a simple tap, you can track how many calories you can consume, burn and net on a daily basis.
    04-02-09 12:33 PM
    I found the app today on app world
    04-06-09 11:21 AM
    I just checked the BB App World application, and it is still not available for the Storm. Perhaps it is now available for the Pearl...

If someone knows the 'real' reason for it's removal and the expected date of it's availability, please post it.

Thanks
    04-06-09 02:46 PM
    I just got this link in an e-mail from RIM after I asked about Livestrong... I don't know if it still works, but its worth a try.

BlackBerry App World

edit: Just tried the link, I guess it's a one time only deal. However if you check out the blackberry website, you can send the link yourself on their AppWorld page.
    Last edited by Mr.Girafales; 04-06-09 at 04:08 PM.
    04-06-09 03:04 PM
    I emailed them yesterday and got this today:

"The application will work on the Blackberry Storm in the next few weeks. We apologize for the confusion."

So, keep your eyes open "the next few weeks", LOL.
    04-06-09 09:02 PM
    Mr. Gi9rafales, no I tried using the link from the BlackBerry App World website back on April 1st (seems like the most time consuming April Fools prank that I've ever been suckered into), and have tried a couple of times since. I sent Blackberry App World an email suggesting that they remove LiveStrong from their Featured applications list as the link does not work. I didn't get a response (other than a previous response from them stating that they are not responsible for 3rd party applications).
    Thank you juju705 for your post. I too have sent them an email asking them to respond when the LiveStrong app is 'truly' available.
    I've heard a couple of complaints from people who managed to download LiveStrong on the morning of April 1st before it was removed, and according to them, the application didn't link well to the 'The Daily Plate'.
    Are BlackBerry applications so much more difficult to progam than iPhone applications?
    04-07-09 10:36 AM
    Okay, hopefully this works... This is exactly how I got the app (and then deleted it because it wasn't what I was expecting)

GO to this site on your computer

BlackBerry - Featured Apps

click on the box for the livestrong app and then press Confirm at the bottom. After you confirm, the site will ask for the email address to your blackberry, put it in, and press Send app link to me.

Hope this works.
    04-07-09 11:21 AM
    Mr. Girafiles, nope, that definitely doesn't work. You must have installed LiveStrong during the morning of April 1st. I feel that providing a link on the Blackberry App World website is misleading (and a waste of people's time), especially since someone has now gotten back to juju705 (and most likely others) to inform him (them) that LiveStrong App will not be available for weeks.

Just out of curiosity Mr. Girafiles, does LiveStrong App work well for you? Does it link properly to The Daily Plate? Does it say that it requires an update (when you look it up in App World application on your BB)?

juju705, would you please forward your email from 'LiveStrong' over to Blackberry App World so that other people don't need to waste their time endlessly trying to install the app.
    04-07-09 01:38 PM
    Does anyone know how many weeks?
    04-07-09 09:04 PM
    Does anyone know how many weeks?
    a few... *thinking...was this a serious question?
    04-07-09 09:20 PM
    @cjistewa
    You're right I did get it early. Sorry I should have clarified. However I did delete it as it worked poorly with the storm. Could not disable compatibility and only had access to half the app as you have to subscube to daily plate for full access.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-09 10:03 PM
    a few... *thinking...was this a serious question?
    Yes, hm...yes it was, looking forward to this app being available, it's a good tool.
    04-13-09 07:09 PM
    I have a Livestrong Daily Plate account. It is GREAT for keeping track of your calories in/out, and because you need to log all that info it keeps the concept of calorie monitoring uppermost in your mind (which helps!).

Two complaints (btw, I have an 8330 Curve):

1) The iPod Touch has this app for free--why does Blackberry have to pay?

2) The Livestrong app for the iPod/iPhone rocks compared to the one for BB. I have been using the BB app for two days now, and it fails to show my caloric progress through the course of the day in the progress bar (it tracks the numbers just fine--but I always have ZERO progress in the illustration). It is also quite a bit of work to find and input the foods and exercises (waaaay easier on the iPod, because the iPod displays your most recently eaten foods and exercises for quick, easy re-input). Last, it seem to have some trouble sync'ing with the online data and duplicates some things.

I only have access to the Apple version of Livestrong because my daughter has an iPod Touch (and I was curious to compare the two versions). While I ABSOLUTELY LOVE my BB, I have to admit that the Livestrong application for the iPod/iPhone ROCKS in terms of usability, and the fact that is was FREE makes it even more attractive.

Here's hoping for improvements from Livestrong for the BB community.
    Last edited by eaccents; 04-16-09 at 03:29 PM. Reason: added a notation
    04-16-09 03:28 PM
    So has anyone heard any news on this app being ready again soon?
    04-30-09 06:53 PM
    So has anyone heard any news on this app being ready again soon?
    Stormy, if you PIN me, I'll tell you how to get a similar program for free (no, I'm not referring to Calorie Counter by FatSecret or Calorie Count Nutrition that you can get for free from BB App World).

LiveStrong has really dropped the ball on their BB Storm application. I have to admit that I'm highly unimpressed.
    05-01-09 05:28 PM
    Is there somewhere to download this for free ?
    Seems goofy iPhone is free and BB is not.
    LiveStrong is not charging it is just BBApps getting their money for hosting it.
    05-06-09 09:26 AM
    Actually the iPhone app is no longer free. It is also $2.99.

The BlackBerry LiveStrong application is not free because 'LiveStrong' is charging for it. Case in point: many many applications on BB App World are free.

Also to be considered is a quote from LiveStrong themselves:
    Lex Friedman Says:

March 31st, 2009 at 7:31 am
    Dear Customer,

Great question, with a straightforward answer. Now that the app’s been live for several months, we’ve worked out all the bugs and really made a powerful, streamlined app — one of the most popular ones in the App Store.

We’ve poured literally hundreds of work hours into getting the app to where it is today, between developers, designers, QA, product, etc. That time all obviously comes with a cost, and in this economy, we couldn’t just continue to write off that cost. (The app has no ads, since ads tend to perform very poorly on the platform.)

Thus, it became necessary for us to charge, in order to afford being able to keep working on the app.

Thanks for your question!
    05-06-09 12:22 PM
    Interesting
    Then the million dollar question. Why is the iPhone app free ??
    05-06-09 12:52 PM
    Please re-read my previous post. The iPhone app is no longer free. The quote I posted from Lex Friedman was pertaining to the iPhone app fee. The iPhone app was originally free because it was in Beta testing. Those who endured the Beta testing were able to upgrade to the official iPhone app for free. For my own personal opinion, I don't believe that to be fair, and I also feel that BB app users should be given the same opportunity to have a Beta version for free.
    05-11-09 11:58 AM
    So is it back out for BB? If so I can't find it anywhere.
    05-11-09 03:59 PM
    I'm hoping it comes out soon as well.
    05-11-09 11:05 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD