Ok so I've had a nice history with Blackberry. Started with the 8330, upgraded to the Tour. Everything was nice and dandy. Then the whole Droid hoopla happened and i got caught in the Hype and bought a Droid X. Really awesome phone with all the feature, making my tour look very inferior. Months passed, however, and i started to miss my Blackberry..a lot. There's just that convenience factor about them that the Droid i think will never have. So i stole my wive's upgrade (don't worry, i gave her the Droid) and bought the Bold 9650. First thing i did was upgrade to a leaked OS6 which is just..awesome.

However, from my experience with the droid; i realized there is something missing with RIM. No not the "outdated" OS or anything. But theres is a great lack of stock apps. For some reason, RIM does not have:

1) A basic weather app
    2) A stocks app (this one is a big shocker)
    and until recently, they didn't have a news app

does anyone find it weird that they don't have any of these yet they have an app for pretty much all social networks and instant messaging clients?
    12-22-10 04:16 PM
    I don't mind that RIM doesnt have their own stock apps cause Bloomberg is probably one of the best out there. And Weathereye.

There are tons in the app world that it doesnt bother me.
    12-22-10 04:23 PM
    Like aznlgcy said. Besides what one person requires another can't stand. Go grab a million free apps on bb app world. And for god sakes quit whining. or get a Droid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-10 05:51 PM
    But theres is a great lack of stock apps. For some reason, RIM does not have:
    1) A basic weather app

does anyone find it weird that they don't have any of these yet they have an app for pretty much all social networks and instant messaging clients?
    All of your points might be part of the reason RIM brought Viigo into the fold (although it doesn't seem like they've done much with it since the purchase). I use the Viigo Beta on my Bold and like the weather function pretty well. I don't use it much for stocks but definitely read biz news and RSS feeds with it. Give it a look for free in app world.

12-22-10 09:55 PM
    RIM would be shooting themselves in the foot if they offered a stock application for everything. If each smartphone manufacturer offered their own version of every, there would be no companies that would develop for their platform. In this marketplace, it's the apps that your platform can support that can make or break you.

That being said, BerryWeather is a FANTASTIC weather application, and is infinately customizable, with options to create custom wallpapers, notification icons, and weather alerts. I swear by it.

Don't mess with many financial apps, if Bloomberg is said to be good, than I assume that it's good!
    12-23-10 12:09 AM
    Like aznlgcy said. Besides what one person requires another can't stand. Go grab a million free apps on bb app world. And for god sakes quit whining. or get a Droid.

A million? Now that's funny!
    12-23-10 12:13 AM
    That was a figure of speech tucker, my point was that there are many great apps available for little or no money. It would be impossible to make a Blackberry out of the box make any 1 person totally happy and mass produce that identical berry without disappointing several MILLION more. And not figuratively speaking. And it may as well be a million if there aren't "any" smartphones that can hold them all. How many does a guy really need.

Last edited by albee 1; 12-23-10 at 07:11 AM.
    12-23-10 12:28 AM
    RIM would be shooting themselves in the foot if they offered a stock application for everything. If each smartphone manufacturer offered their own version of every, there would be no companies that would develop for their platform. In this marketplace, it's the apps that your platform can support that can make or break you.

That being said, BerryWeather is a FANTASTIC weather application, and is infinately customizable, with options to create custom wallpapers, notification icons, and weather alerts. I swear by it.

Don't mess with many financial apps, if Bloomberg is said to be good, than I assume that it's good!
    I wouldn't call it "shooting themselves in the foot" to release a couple bare bones apps for those things :P ya know like on the iphone, doesn't do much besides show you where stocks are and how the weather is.

12-23-10 01:27 AM
    That was a figure of speech tucker, my point was that there are many great apps available for little or no money. It would be impossible to make a Blackberry out of the box make any 1 person totally happy and mass produce that identical berry without disappointing several MILLION more. And not figuratively speaking. And it may as well be a million if there aren't "any" smartphones that can hold them all. How many does a guy really need.

It's also has a-lot to do with the look and feel of the applications at hand.

I've attached a picture (screen shot) from Hero Of Sparta, a new game from GameLoft for Android, and the SAME game from Blackberry's App World. There is a HUGE difference. One is a 2d Scroller and one is a 3D world map. Big Whoop it's a game. True, and i understand not alot of people purchase Smart Phones with the idea of "I CANNOT WAIT TO PLAY _______". But those difference carry over into Weather Applications, Google Earth. Google Sky, And alot of other applications. I don't think we'd hear the !@#$%ing and moaning from people if Blackberry's Applications looked like other Platforms did.

Now hopefully the QNX and dual core blackberries will change that, but they've steped up to the plate well after the 7th inning is over.
    12-23-10 08:29 AM
    Have to agree with you syborg. RIM has always been slow to change. But I am also excited to see how QNX changes the game. It's not over till it's over!

12-23-10 09:14 AM
    I'm not sure I totally agree. There weren't stock weather apps and such on my Galaxy S when I got it. The apps that were on it were mostly added by the carrier, and all of them were 3rd party apps. I would guess that the apps on your droid were 3rd party as well.

I know, on the Android side, I haven't seen anything that compares to Berry Weather, and Social Scope is better as well. It has me believing that even though there are a lot more apps out for Android, there are quality apps on BlackBerry.
    12-23-10 10:13 AM
    I'm not sure I totally agree. There weren't stock weather apps and such on my Galaxy S when I got it. The apps that were on it were mostly added by the carrier, and all of them were 3rd party apps. I would guess that the apps on your droid were 3rd party as well.

I know, on the Android side, I haven't seen anything that compares to Berry Weather, and Social Scope is better as well. It has me believing that even though there are a lot more apps out for Android, there are quality apps on BlackBerry.
    I meant to comment back earlier, you are correct. Most of the Android devices have a weather application pre-loaded on the device, but it's not a native application, it's always a 3rd party one, such as The Weather Channel or WeatherBug. Another thing to think about is the stock checking application may be one developed by the handset manufacturer as a widget. You know how HTC has their Sense UI that they put over the top of stock Android, well they have their own "HTC Widgets" that you can setup on the device, same goes for Samsung and their TouchWiz on the Galaxy S devices.
    12-23-10 10:17 AM

HTC Sense Weather is native and has 3D graphics.
    12-23-10 10:18 AM
    HTC Sense Weather is native and has 3D graphics.
    See, Native to me would mean an app developed by Google themselves, like BBM for BlackBerry being developed by RIM. Maybe I'm putting too much thought into it...
    12-23-10 10:27 AM
    Your both right. I would venture to guess that a lot of the peripheral apps that come with a smartphone are developed often by an outside source under contract for a specific platform. A lot of the new phones coming out have proprietary apps that can only be enjoyed from that particular device. For some it's a real selling point.

12-23-10 11:20 AM

$10 for weather is simply idiotic.
    12-25-10 07:36 PM
    the number of apps for BB doesnt compare to android but the stability of BB native apps are 2nd to none. BB seems to concentrate on getting a few things right while Google gets a million things half a$$ so the kids & techies can say WOWWWW!!! & BB users can just use the darn thing.
    12-25-10 08:12 PM
    I LOVE my 9330x from sprint,I may buy another one nextyear since I am sprint premiere.

12-25-10 08:20 PM
    Ok so I've had a nice history with Blackberry. Started with the 8330, upgraded to the Tour. Everything was nice and dandy. Then the whole Droid hoopla happened and i got caught in the Hype and bought a Droid X. Really awesome phone with all the feature, making my tour look very inferior. Months passed, however, and i started to miss my Blackberry..a lot. There's just that convenience factor about them that the Droid i think will never have. So i stole my wive's upgrade (don't worry, i gave her the Droid) and bought the Bold 9650. First thing i did was upgrade to a leaked OS6 which is just..awesome.

However, from my experience with the droid; i realized there is something missing with RIM. No not the "outdated" OS or anything. But theres is a great lack of stock apps. For some reason, RIM does not have:

1) A basic weather app

There is nothing missing. I have the Fidelity App, there are weather apps in BB App World, there are numerous news apps such as AP World. You're
    not very observant are you?

12-26-10 11:14 PM
    the number of apps for BB doesnt compare to android but the stability of BB native apps are 2nd to none. BB seems to concentrate on getting a few things right while Google gets a million things half a$$ so the kids & techies can say WOWWWW!!! & BB users can just use the darn thing.

Native AOSP (Android Open Source Projects) that come on Androids
    YouTube- Works Flawlessly

Google Calendar - Works better that i could ever expect. PERFECT Sync with my calendar and everyone that i share mine with

Google Contacts - PERFECT sync with my Google Account

Google Maps - the BEST Navigation programming ever. Anymore i use it more that my Garmin 255w. And with G-Maps 5.0 is better than ever with 3D Buildings.

GMail - Pushes email to my phone quicker than Blackberry's BIS/BES did and with 2 way SYNC, nothing comes close.

Google Earth - you guys wouldn't know about that, doesn't exist on BBOS.

Chrome to Phone (Yes i know it's not native) - but it's the slickest tool i've ever used for my phone/computer combo.

So which programs have you see that are 1/2 done? none of the ones i've used are 1/2 done.
    12-27-10 07:34 AM
    $10 for weather is simply idiotic.
    Idiocy is expressed in many different ways, depending on people.
    For example - there are your posts.....
    12-30-10 12:41 PM
    If there are developers willing to make apps for rim, why would they waste time making their own?
    12-30-10 01:18 PM
    @syb0rg - I'm sorry - no folders? not for me. I won't go near gmail. All the product you mentioned are Google, so of course they will work flawlessly on Android. However, I don't like Android.

My Blackberry is perfectly suited to my needs/likes/wants.

Not that crazy about any of the products mentioned above, with the only exception of Google's search engine.
    12-30-10 01:33 PM
    @syb0rg - I'm sorry - no folders? not for me. I won't go near gmail. All the product you mentioned are Google, so of course they will work flawlessly on Android. However, I don't like Android.

My Blackberry is perfectly suited to my needs/likes/wants.

Not that crazy about any of the products mentioned above, with the only exception of Google's search engine.
    GMail does have perfect 2way sync with every folder that you have in your account. POP/IMAP and Microsoft E-Mail accounts have perfect 2way syncs. Actually every E-Mail Protocol that i've used on my androids have 2way sync with folders.....

If you don't like Android, that is fine by me. But don't bash what you do not know about.

and the reason i used those applications as my focal point is this, the person i replied to said that Google does everything half arse, which is simply not true.
    12-30-10 01:44 PM
    GMail does have perfect 2way sync with every folder that you have in your account. POP/IMAP and Microsoft E-Mail accounts have perfect 2way syncs. Actually every E-Mail Protocol that i've used on my androids have 2way sync with folders.....

If you don't like Android, that is fine by me. But don't bash what you do not know about.

and the reason i used those applications as my focal point is this, the person i replied to said that Google does everything half arse, which is simply not true.
    There are four people with Android devices in my family - all report not being able to get their folders synced. On this forum I read post after post about gmail not syncing. So....no, I don't *have* either gmail nor do I have an Android device. What I see them having to do to get their mail is hugely cumbersome and not for me. I said this before and got the same defensive response I got from you now...so, suit yourself.

I said I don't like Android. Is that a bash? I think you're overly sensitive. It's just a mail and an OS, right? Did I offend a family member?
    12-30-10 01:53 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD