Dont really understand what all the fuss is about. I have had my curve 3 weeks and have been able to get it to do just about everything I want including making free skype calls overseas. the guy keeps whining for free apps, well I havent paid a dime for any apps yet. not sure what it is he wants to do. He claims he has downloaded over a hundred and his opinion in the "mobile industry" should matter.

Comparing the blackberry to Palm I guess is a fair comparison, however, Palm is going out of business,

Palm makes it official, retail locations will close - Gadgetell

From his comments, he probably worked in a Palm retail kiosk in a mall somewhere so we shouldnt be too hard on him.

I when apple starts selling apps through itunes he will really have something to complain about. I think he did compare blackberry to apple at some point, well why dont you continue that comparison and see what freeware you find for the mac platform.

I hate to flame, I am no fanboy, but this guy keeps whining as if we are all supposed to run out and write apps for him to sit and play around with in the mall.
    Question, what are you trying to do? Do you have a specific need? or do you just want free apps to play around with a bit and then try something else with no real purpose? Good luck buddy.
    06-01-08 10:12 AM
    [QUOTE=axxman;358131]Dont really understand what all the fuss is about. I have had my curve 3 weeks and have been able to get it to do just about everything I want including making free skype calls overseas. the guy keeps whining for free apps, well I havent paid a dime for any apps yet. [QUOTE]
    Can you show me where you found them?

[QUOTE] not sure what it is he wants to do. [QUOTE]
    I want to be able to sync (smoothly) between gmail and and my Curve without paying for a 3rd party app, I didn't realize that was a tall order.
    [QUOTE] He claims he has downloaded over a hundred and his opinion in the "mobile industry" should matter. [QUOTE]
    You are confusing me with someone else here, I didn't write that about myself.

[QUOTE] Comparing the blackberry to Palm I guess is a fair comparison, however, Palm is going out of business,

Palm makes it official, retail locations will close - Gadgetell

From his comments, he probably worked in a Palm retail kiosk in a mall somewhere so we shouldnt be too hard on him. [QUOTE]
    I didn't realize they were going out of business (I trust it's a surprise to them as well), thanks for the info, I'm looking forward to reading up on it. Never worked in the mall, I support people with developmental disabilities at a notfor profit, done it for years. However, I'm coming to BB from a Treo, and had a CLIE a long time ago, so yes, I'm comparing.

[QUOTE]I when apple starts selling apps through itunes he will really have something to complain about. I think he did compare blackberry to apple at some point, well why dont you continue that comparison and see what freeware you find for the mac platform.[QUOTE]
    I looked into a macbook, but the software was too expensive so I stuck with Windows

[QUOTE]I hate to flame,[QUOTE]
    but you will anyway
    [QUOTE] I am no fanboy, but this guy keeps whining as if we are all supposed to run out and write apps for him to sit and play around with in the mall. [QUOTE]
    Again, I spend very little time at the mall, but it would be great if you ran out and wrote apps for me to play with while I'm sitting at Starbucks. Can you get it done by say....2p??

Question, what are you trying to do? Do you have a specific need? or do you just want free apps to play around with a bit and then try something else with no real purpose? Good luck buddy.
    Finally, was that so hard??
    There's a couple things I'd like to be able to do specifically.
    1. Sync my gmail, google calendar and google contacts with my BB--yes for free!!!!!

2. I'd like a personal finance program to keep track of spending habits, things like that.

3. I'd like an application where I can enter info about my car expenses, gas expenses, repairs, et cetera....

I was wrong to assume that in this day in age on an elite smartphone that such applications would be available to me for free or at a low cost. I'm sorry to have personally offended the obvious ones in this thread.
    06-01-08 10:34 AM
    Although it is not a sync program, the gmail app gives you access to your gmail contacts and mail, the googlesync app syncs calendar data with your google calendar. both are free from Google.

there are loads of threads discussing these apps, some people have trouble getting them to work some dont.

yahoo messenger is availible for free, skype is accessable via iskoot, there is another app, but iskoot works for me.

yahoo go sounds great but it is not availible for the curve yet. never used it but many people post positivly on these forums.

Microsoft announced a few weeks back they were working with RIM to come up with messenger for the blackberry.

to be honest, i never even searched for these apps, I pretty much was just browsing through these forums and came across them so I for the life of me cannot understand why you are having so much trouble finding things. It took me a couple of days after I recieved my bb a few weeks ago to get them running, the yahoo messenger was a bit of a challenge but fortunatly there was a thread on my problem where I found the solution.

good luck.
    06-01-08 12:49 PM
    This thread actually turned out to be longer than I had the time to read; but I do have a moment to add a comment.

Coming from Palm & Window devices, there wasnt a piece of software that I paid for. Maybe because those apps were easier to develop/hack/crack; I dont know, but I do know that if there was a way to *aquire* it without pulling out my Visa, then thats just what I did.

Many people dont want to come out and openly admit that they stole software.

There may not be as much free software for BB as there is for other platforms. What impresses me is that not every Joe, Harry & Sally is sitting somewhere creating mess that can be put on the BB which ends up causing more harm than good.

Having moved to a Berry, one of the FIRST things I discovered was software wasnt as *free* as it is for other platforms. It is that fact that made me appreciate the BlackBerry. The other thing I appreciate about BB software is that you're not forced or stuck with it. There is no BUY, then TRY options.

I've happily paid for the software I currently use. Due to the memory limitations of the BB, I only have apps that I know I'm going to use daily and not apps that ultimately just take up space.

The fact that the apps I've come across are PIN specific is great. My registration code is MINE; but if I'm going to shell out $30-40 for an app and my BB gets replaced, stolen.... whatever; I dont feel I should have to go through hoops to receive a new registration code- especially when I liked your software enough to buy it.

My BB was replaced with a brand new one and out of all the software that I bought, the developer of "Berricons" was the only one that said "Note: We will only reissue a code once per year." Here's hoping that I dont need to go back to them within a year, and for the future, well they just wont get any more of my money.

Now, dont get me wrong, I'm not saying that I didnt like software for the other platforms enough not to buy it; it was just too easy not too.
    06-01-08 06:24 PM
    Free software from torrent sites?? Are you confusing "free" with "pirated"??

Top 10 Reasons there is "so little free software" for Blackberries:

10. You are confusing "free" with "stolen".

Thankfully, RIM has good security, requiring developers to purchase code signing certificates to do anything really useful with the RIM API. And, due to this pirates cannot simply patch the source code and post it on torrent sites. This means that people developing for a living, get paid, and the rest of us don't have to pay higher prices.

9. You have not looked very hard.

There is a lot of free software for the Blackberry, although admittedly "a lot" is a bit subjective. Have you tried Google? Posting a request for links to free software? Search the 3rd party forums for the many posts on free software?

8. You are expecting way to much for free

Maybe you are thinking that you should be able to download not only very basic applications for free, but very complex ones that took a team months to develop after years of training. Good luck with that.

7. You are used to getting things for free

You are not Republican, enough said. =)

6. You are confused about the meaning of "free" in "free market"

Best to re-take that HS government class and basic economics for the big picture.

5. You do not spend enough time on Crackberry.com

But then again, is it EVER possible to spend enough time on here?

4. You cannot afford to own a Blackberry

Your last phone was pre-paid, and people look at you funny when you pay with food stamps while talking on your new BOLD.

3. Capitalism sucks

You actually have to pay for stuff, and earn a living.

2. Programmers expect to actuallly get paid (how dare they!)

Programmers for some unknown reason think they deserve to be paid after going to school for several years and getting a degree, and working for months on the latest cool thing. I mean, how dare they when they can come in our store and get free stuff!

1. You haven't written more free applications!

When are you releasing them?

WARNING: The above is humor, something that some may find offensive. If you were offended, get some therapy.

wow lame lol
    06-01-08 06:36 PM
    As far as PINs go, I understand and agree with you, except here again there is a solution. First, professional applications should allow a legit user to switch their PIN online 24/7 with proper authentication, thus allowing you to transfer your license at will. Second, there is a payware application (I forget the name at the moment, but it's posted here on crackberry.com) that allows you to setup your applications as you purchase them for such updates in the event of an equipment failure.
    I guess knowing the name of this app would help; I've tried searching and cant seem to find it or I may be missing it because I dont know the name.

Anybody?
    06-01-08 06:47 PM
    I guess knowing the name of this app would help; I've tried searching and cant seem to find it or I may be missing it because I dont know the name.

Anybody?
    EZRegister ?
    06-01-08 07:23 PM
    Thank you kindly. Currently $9.99. Nice. I PAID FOR IT!! Now just waiting for my registration code. This app works for 7 days then you have to purchase it.

And thanks PW for enlightening us that an app like this existed.
    06-01-08 07:40 PM
    Yeap that's the one.. good memory amazinglygraceful.

Let us know how you like it, because I don't have it yet and am curious how helpful it is to you.
    06-02-08 09:01 AM
    I can drag and drop docs onto my SD card, and view them just fine, all for free too.
    On a sidenote patrick....... where can I find these apps that access docs/pdf/etc off the sd card?

So far the only way I can do such a thing is thru the email program and that is only to add it as an attachment.

06-02-08 11:26 AM
    Dan,

Enable mass storage, then when you plug in to your USB, you'll be able to drag & drop to your Berry.

Then, check out BeamBerry.
    06-02-08 01:39 PM
    Yes, well said eZainny. It's the same reason toilets are so expensive on the ISS..... market size.

The consumer market is much smaller and softer than the enterprise market with these devices, but that will likely change in the near future from the looks of things.
    Not trying to keep railing on you Patrick but eZainny and ScandaLeX put it perfectly. Blackberry is a huge part of the problem. It's a major PITA to write for the BB, they charge developers corporate prices to write for the BB and as a result the software looks mediocre and costs too much, especially to consumers. This is why there isn't a great deal of "free" software you find elsewhere in every other platofrm. It has nothing to do with some guy trolling for a free cracked piece of software. I took issue with this because I have the same beef and think that instead of turning on the users, turn on RIM and let them know what a bunch of misled executives in an Ivory tower they are.

In trying to consumerize the BB, they are diminishing their corporate appeal (camera phones, locking docs so employees can't download them or manipulate easily, etc.) and trying to be all things for all people. Not enough consumer appeal, not enough corporate appeal. That is why I think they may lose market share much more quickly than they realize.

Dan - Docs to Go with OS 4.5 are your only hope for true salvation. I bought eOffice which is a serious programming effort but it is super duper clunky and doesn't open all native docs and will frequently tell you to use their converter. Still it did open some docs for me so I was grateful. I'm still not happy that I can't download native documents in email, something that the Blackberry hasn't been spanked enough for in the press. Can't wait for OS 4.5 to come quickly enough and hopefully the BB will lay off the dependency of their servers too.

PS - What is this totally amazing ToDo software that also has a desktop client? (and I don't mean a web-based "desktop" client you get to pay for quarterly... I'll handle the backups.)
    06-02-08 03:11 PM
    PWNED HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
    I know this is a old post, but G.D. this is one of the funniest things ive read on the whole site!!!

Free software from torrent sites?? Are you confusing "free" with "pirated"??

Top 10 Reasons there is "so little free software" for Blackberries:

10. You are confusing "free" with "stolen".

Thankfully, RIM has good security, requiring developers to purchase code signing certificates to do anything really useful with the RIM API. And, due to this pirates cannot simply patch the source code and post it on torrent sites. This means that people developing for a living, get paid, and the rest of us don't have to pay higher prices.

9. You have not looked very hard.

There is a lot of free software for the Blackberry, although admittedly "a lot" is a bit subjective. Have you tried Google? Posting a request for links to free software? Search the 3rd party forums for the many posts on free software?

8. You are expecting way to much for free

Maybe you are thinking that you should be able to download not only very basic applications for free, but very complex ones that took a team months to develop after years of training. Good luck with that.

7. You are used to getting things for free

You are not Republican, enough said. =)

6. You are confused about the meaning of "free" in "free market"

Best to re-take that HS government class and basic economics for the big picture.

5. You do not spend enough time on Crackberry.com

But then again, is it EVER possible to spend enough time on here?

4. You cannot afford to own a Blackberry

Your last phone was pre-paid, and people look at you funny when you pay with food stamps while talking on your new BOLD.

3. Capitalism sucks

You actually have to pay for stuff, and earn a living.

2. Programmers expect to actuallly get paid (how dare they!)

Programmers for some unknown reason think they deserve to be paid after going to school for several years and getting a degree, and working for months on the latest cool thing. I mean, how dare they when they can come in our store and get free stuff!

1. You haven't written more free applications!

When are you releasing them?

WARNING: The above is humor, something that some may find offensive. If you were offended, get some therapy.
    06-08-08 02:43 AM
    Thanks MM_STYLE for the link.
    06-14-08 09:18 AM
    New BB user here coming from Palm and WM!

Yes it is sad that there is so little free software, spceially what I see missing on the BB platform is opensource software. Opensource is great since many people can contribute to it in their free time making development cost zero.

free/opensource for BB will only decrease once Google Android and the new Palm OS arrive. Both systems being being on linux means many current opensource project will be ported to them and developers will be able to use many of the code and tools they already use for Linux, also I have read that linux programming is easier than BB.

Also as mentioned earlier BB needs to have an app store for the device. Even Palm on the Centro has an in device app store that includes freeware and easy installs.

Another Way RIM could help developers is by including bundled apps, for example all Palm phones include Documents to Go and Ptunes and some WM phones also include Bundled software. By including bundled software users get a taste for the developer's apps and are encouraged to buy more apps from that developer.

By the way I am having a hard time finding a free unit converter and periodic table for BB, any suggestions?

[/Rant]

Not so sound like a Palm fanboy cause I am not, but I have to clarify something. To the one that said Palm is going out of business, thats not correct. Palm is right now third in smartphone market share 44%RIM 19%Apple 13%Palm. last year Palm had 7% but their Centro is selling quite well and lets not forget they also sell WM devices.

I respect and admire all plataforms: Palm OS, BB, iPhone, WM, Android.

Each platfom has its own strenghts and weaknesses, I recomend everyone to read the articles of the smartphone Roundrobin to see diferent takes on all platforms including coments from Crackberry.com. Smartphone Experts Round Robin

[/EndRant]
    06-15-08 09:53 AM
    By the way I am having a hard time finding a free unit converter and periodic table for BB, any suggestions?
    Yes, start the open source project so you can work on it in your free time. Let us know when you finish and we can download it. =)
    06-15-08 10:27 AM
    Yes, start the open source project so you can work on it in your free time. Let us know when you finish and we can download it. =)
    Sorry Patrick but I am not a programmer just a computer user. If I did knew programming I would gladly contribute to the opensource community as I am very grateful to that community. I hope the developers doing free software for Palm and WM port their apps to BB.
    06-15-08 03:57 PM
    Bummer. My hundreds of visits to this forum have been so fun and I have been so impressed with the overwhelming number of kind people who are here. I've NEVER had a bad experience in this forum.

I was all excited for my pre-bedtime relaxation, reading about my addiction on Crackberry.Com. I get that sappy smile on my face when I learn something new, which I do every time I come here. Then I read such a nasty reply to a question that is labled as "humor" and then other replies that make fun of people living in poverty.

Guess I'll go read that sappy new romance novel I bought instead.
    06-15-08 10:18 PM
    oh come on! Patrick is right, why do people expect things for free as in free beer all the time?

Yes it is sad that there is so little free software, spceially what I see missing on the BB platform is opensource software. Opensource is great since many people can contribute to it in their free time making development cost zero.

[/EndRant]
    Why is it sad?
    Don't shoot me down for this observation but there are apps made for the BBs by 3rd party devs so therefore they are free software and since they are built by a team external to RIM and often Blackbery, it must be in some way, opensource:: the Facebook app, Flickr app, Gmail app, Viigo, Twitterberry, Gtalk ...the list goes on and that's only apps I have on mine.

Development cost will never technically be zero for open source apps, even if it's done in spare/free time, the developer should still be thanked in some way for their work.
    Sure most open source devs don't get paid for their code & work for apps. I use Ubuntu GNU Linux and I know the amount of free (as in money) apps & programs for that there is and I know a lot of the devs don't get paid for them unless people want to contribute.

Be thankful of the apps people have made free to use.
    06-15-08 11:16 PM
    oh come on! Patrick is right, why do people expect things for free as in free beer all the time?
    True. Besides, Republicans don't expect stuff for FREE like Democrats, they just go into DEBT to get it. Something like 9,400,000,000,000 worth of debt and Clinton had a $559 billion surplus... Could buy a whole lotta Blackberry Bolds with that Democratic wallet.

Of course, this is ALL just humor and if you don't get it then you need therapy.
    06-16-08 12:54 AM
    politics and humor aside:

people want freeware for the BB because for the other platforms (WM, Symbian, Palm OS) thre are many freeware apps.

I think that given time there will be more freeware for the Blackberry platform the other OS have been around and popular for longer than the Blackberry so they have more developers.
    06-17-08 06:00 PM
    I want to thank the people who took my original question seriously, and either shared the same concerns that I have, or have shown me some of the free apps (although still a meager list) that they're using.

I agree, it is a shame that some of my concerns were flamed, but it all works out in the end. By the way, this thread helped me find out that this forum has an ignore feature!!
    06-18-08 07:58 AM
    Sultan:

Yes the ignore feature is very handy many people in mine already ;-) . I don't see how many people here seem to flame just for the fun of it. Humor is one thing, but blatant flaming and arrogant bashing is another and should not be confused.

I don't only miss the free software but also miss the forums from WM and Palm OS they tended to be friendlier and more helpful rather than bashing and flaming.

Still looking for a free unit converter and periodic table for BB. (And again I won't program them myself as Patrick suggests)

By the way I found this site that has freeware for BB, hope it helps:

Blackberry Freeware - Free Software
    06-18-08 08:56 AM
    Thanks jaydee, there's a couple things on there that looked interesting, but nothing I could really use (I'm thinking about the xpenser app though).
    06-18-08 09:45 AM
    Sultan:

Yes the ignore feature is very handy many people in mine already ;-) . I don't see how many people here seem to flame just for the fun of it. Humor is one thing, but blatant flaming and arrogant bashing is another and should not be confused.

I don't only miss the free software but also miss the forums from WM and Palm OS they tended to be friendlier and more helpful rather than bashing and flaming.

Still looking for a free unit converter and periodic table for BB. (And again I won't program them myself as Patrick suggests)

By the way I found this site that has freeware for BB, hope it helps:

Blackberry Freeware - Free Software
    I just found a periodic table on, I believe, getjar website. It is not designed for the BB but generic. So it uses only a small portion of the screen.

Also, I found a unit converter for free as soon as my BB reboots (just installed a new little program that can copy email to a MEMO - also freeware). The unit converter is 'Abiro Unit Converter' but I don't recall the link. Wait, it has a goto website: wap.abiro.com and he just happens to list the GetJar: Free Java, Symbian, Windows Mobile, BlackBerry, Palm and Flash Lite mobile games and applications website.

I don't necessarily have problems paying for software but I think the price of some stuff for BB is overpriced (my definition) because the device is a PROFESSIONAL device and some programmers think everyone who can afford a BB can afford their software. But I know that there are lots of talented programmers who just like tinkering and/or being generous with their time and create freeware, useful and well-made applications.
    06-18-08 11:46 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD