07-24-09 01:18 PM
27 12
tools
    Figured id start a thread to get some hits on apps known to cause memory leaks. Its always nice to know what your getting in to.

I'm not positive, but i believe either iVista 2 or BerryWeather has a memory leak.

Those are my 2 newest additions and my memory tanks pretty quick. Everyone else running one's newest hybrid seems to hold a steady 40+ all day..... not me. I start at 45 and am down to 20-30 in less than 12 hours.

Oh well. Lets hear um
    03-31-09 09:48 PM
    I think iheartradio might have a memory leak. I noticed my memory was great until I downloaded that. It could just be a coincidence.
    03-31-09 09:50 PM
    Weather bug and Viigo
    Last edited by dukins; 03-31-09 at 10:43 PM.
    03-31-09 09:51 PM
    I think iheartradio might have a memory leak. I noticed my memory was great until I downloaded that. It could just be a coincidence.
    hmm, forgot i added that app.

anyone else get a mem leak from iheartradio?
    03-31-09 10:02 PM
    Definitely Viigo.
    03-31-09 10:42 PM
    I had serious issues as soon as I installed iVista. I normally have 40-50% battery and 20 mb battery each night when I go to bed. I installed iVista late one night - the next day I was down to 20% and less than 5 mb by lunch. That day and the next I did several 'quick pulls' to bump my memory back up.

I decided to change back to the AppleBerry theme (but did not uninstall iVista), and have not had any issues since (almost 2 weeks ago). Pretty much proved the cause in my eyes. (and I am running the latest version of iVista - along with v .75)

I love the theme, so hope it gets squared away - but I can't keep running it with the results I was getting.
    03-31-09 10:45 PM
    I have had problems with ivista 2, weatherbug and berryweather. I currently am using bbweather and it seems to not have much of any leak. I really don't like it as much as berryweather so I hope they get the leaks fixed.
    04-06-09 03:30 PM
    Definitely the BB App World.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-06-09 03:32 PM
    Definitely Viigo.
    Hmmm... I have Viigo, and it doesn't seem to cause a memory leak on my phone. I think for some phones, memory leaks may be caused by different combinations of themes and apps.
    04-06-09 03:34 PM
    I think theme's in general leak. Weatherbug is a big one thats for sure. I run berry weather now and no leaks so far.
    04-06-09 03:37 PM
    Please make sure that before you post you have a good feeling for a memory leak versus simple high usage of allocated memory. Since we are not looking at the actual modules that could be the cause - educated guess:

Viigo
    Weatherbug (high use when GPS enabled)

I have had no issues with Iheart or with the Ap World - they use a lot when in use but it is recovered when shut down so I have not seen a leak.
    04-06-09 03:44 PM
    Has anyone had problems with Vlingo? Its the only app I have installed recently and my memory goes down from 38Mb in the morning after a battery pull to about 28 by the end of the day, is that normal?
    04-06-09 03:51 PM
    Has anyone had problems with Vlingo? Its the only app I have installed recently and my memory goes down from 38Mb in the morning after a battery pull to about 28 by the end of the day, is that normal?

If you are using your phone a lot (email, text, web) I don't think a drop of 10 is too much. The question is . . does it continue to drop after all 3rd party aps are closed and you do not do a battery pull? If so, than it may be causing a problem.
    04-06-09 03:52 PM
    Weatherbug for sure. Huge leak for me.
    04-06-09 04:09 PM
    Viigo without a doubt.

Not so much that it acually Leaks per se... so much that it just consumes a lot of memory to run. It really should be re-designed to save everything to a file cache in device memory instead of ram. With flash memory, read times are quick enough it shouldn't store everything to ram while it's running.

I love the app, but it slows the phone down to a crawl while it's running.
    04-06-09 04:13 PM
    I have been dealing with memory leakage but one question I have do you think the OS running on the phone can effect it? I am still using 0.75. What are you guys using?
    04-06-09 04:37 PM
    I am still running .75, and I have yet to see a true memory leak on my phone. Granted, I only have a few apps on my phone, but I can go a whole week without pulling my battery (probably longer, actually)... and when I do end up pulling my battery, it isn't because my memory has gotten too low (it's for something else, i.e. installing/uninstalling app).
    04-06-09 04:42 PM
    I have not done a battery pull since late Sat night. I went from 38 MB to around 21 MB and has been hovering around 20 +/-4 MB since Sunday afternoon. Running .75 and I have viiago (close program when not using). I have a few other programs but the system is stable.
    04-06-09 05:08 PM
    weatherbug (GPS enabled) and Mobipocket reader for me..
    04-10-09 01:13 AM
    Any theme. I went back to the default theme and deleted the others and have no problems at all

04-10-09 01:51 AM
    Viigo and Facebook
    04-10-09 02:30 AM
    I heart radio for sure. Mine dropped 15 from it

04-10-09 02:34 AM
    Any theme. I went back to the default theme and deleted the others and have no problems at all

Same with me. Have stopped using themes at all (except the default one, of course), they slow my Storm down and they seem to eat up lots of ressources.
    04-13-09 09:12 AM
    I think it is called "Memory Up Pro" in the App World. I went from around 36 after a pull to around 23 after a pull. Even after I uninstalled it, it never got better. I had to re-install OS to fix it.
    04-13-09 12:37 PM
    I really think that either App World or BeWeather (downloaded via app world) has a leak.

I used to have about 49-50MB free after a Batt pull, but this has dropped to about 46. And at the end of the day running the trial of BeWeather my memory is down to about 20 or so. This never used to happen before downloading the App World and BeWeather apps. I might see memory drop to around 40 by the end of the day prior to installing those apps.

I have uninstalled BeWeather, and will probably do the same for Appworld.

EDIT: Running the BBCrackman v7.1.3 hybrid.
    07-24-09 08:41 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD