For anyone else who has an 8330 and wants to install the Kindle application, I was successfully able to install it today on my 8330 running BB OS v5.0.0.230 . I do not know if it will work on any other OS or setup.

To install, use the following URL:
    https://klamath.s3.amazonaws.com/rc8b/kindle.jad

Amazon tries to stop you from downloading the Kindle software unless you're on one of their "officially supported" devices by making you download the software from your device and looking at the user-agent string to verify its a supported device. This check, however, is only on the pages that lead up to the download page and not on the actual download page.

As a result I was able to use the "user-agent switcher" Firefox addon on my PC to make it think I was a blackberry tour. With that I was able to download the JAD file and get the hidden URL for the actual download.

This URL is what is posted above.

I have successfully installed the Kindle app over the air using the link above on my 8330, and have downloaded two of my kindle books and successfully read them.

Your mileage may vary, but hopefully this will help someone out.
    Last edited by tembenite; 02-19-10 at 08:08 AM.
    02-18-10 05:35 PM
    Thanks for posting this. I was wondering if there was a way to make it work.
    02-18-10 08:18 PM
    I wanna upgrade to 5.0 to get this and sirius to work..but still kinda iffy with no verizon 5.0 release!
    02-18-10 09:02 PM
    I wanna upgrade to 5.0 to get this and sirius to work..but still kinda iffy with no verizon 5.0 release!
    Just use the Boost Mobile 5.0, or the hybrid based on that OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-10 10:59 PM
    See, I kinda want to test this but not enough to run the risk of nuking my phone.
    02-18-10 11:19 PM
    I have tried the boost one before and it never loaded with desktop manager? It loaded onto my pc and after that nada?? Not sure I want to try again. Great post on the kindle app though. Cudo points..

02-19-10 02:51 AM
    I have tried the boost one before and it never loaded with desktop manager? It loaded onto my pc and after that nada?? Not sure I want to try again. Great post on the kindle app though. Cudo points..

Did you delete the vendor.xml file in the apploader folder? If not that's why it didn't work. TIP shrink the boost 5.0 or your BB won't have enough memory to run apps like this one posted in this thread!
    02-19-10 03:26 AM
    TIP shrink the boost 5.0 or your BB won't have enough memory to run apps like this one posted in this thread!
    And how does one "TIP shrink the boost 5.0"?

I'd love to get more space on my BB. Since I installed the v5 OS on my Verizon BB I've had very little space.

If there is some method to "shrink" the contents, I'd love to know about it.

BTW, while I am running v5 OS, I don't know that is a requirement for Kindle app to work. It might in fact work on a v4 OS. I'd be interested if anyone else had any success.
    02-19-10 07:02 AM
    Thanks, I was able to download on my Boost 8330. OP, do you have the direct link for the regular BB Amazon app?

02-19-10 07:46 AM
    Thanks, I was able to download on my Boost 8330. OP, do you have the direct link for the regular BB Amazon app?

The direct amazon link is posted as the first item in this thread.

amazonaws.com is an amazon server of some sort.

Amazon tells you to go to:
    https://amazon.com/kindlebb?t=crackb...bUvbUpU4701782

That forwards you to the page:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/kcp...bUvbUpU4701782

That page has the download link:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/kcp...bUvbUpU4701782

Which in turn forwards you to the following download:

Since I've finally got my 10th post, those all should be live links :-D.
    02-19-10 08:07 AM
    And how does one "TIP shrink the boost 5.0"?

I'd love to get more space on my BB. Since I installed the v5 OS on my Verizon BB I've had very little space.

If there is some method to "shrink" the contents, I'd love to know about it.
    Tembenite: I believe you can use a program called Shrink-A-OS to shrink the OS. You should be able to do a search and find it here. It's free! It allows you to remove certain parts of the OS and leave the bare minimum for you.

Also, as Xliderider has posted, there are hybrids that are pre-shrunk for OS 5.0.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 02-19-10 at 08:45 AM.
    02-19-10 08:43 AM
    tembenite, thanks for the info on the kindle app for 8330. I had no problem downloading the file from the link you gave-but-now I get the following error when I attempt to open the app. -'net.rim.device.api.ui.UiEngineInstance' not found. What did I do incorrectly?
    02-19-10 09:13 AM
    tembenite, thanks for the info on the kindle app for 8330. I had no problem downloading the file from the link you gave-but-now I get the following error when I attempt to open the app. -'net.rim.device.api.ui.UiEngineInstance' not found. What did I do incorrectly?
    I am receiving the same error. The file downloaded and appears to have installed without any problems, but I am getting the same error. I am going to try a a reboot to see if that clears it up.
    02-19-10 11:05 AM
    No, did not work after a reboot either. I am running on the Sprint network and I have OS 4.5.0.175. After pulling the battery and trying Kindle again, the same error displays.
    02-19-10 11:23 AM
    I guess it might just not work on the 4.5 OS. :-(

You should be able to install it if you update your OS to the v5 version using one of the stickies in this forum.

I'm running the 5.0.0.230. I haven't updated to the latest available, yet, but I likely will as soon as I have some free time.

The error you're receiving sounds like a dependency issue,

e.g. Your blackberry does not have something installed its expecting and needs to run properly.

This very likely is associated with the version of the BB OS you're running.
    02-19-10 12:37 PM
    Well, a quick google shows that class appears to be in the JDE 4.7.0:

BlackBerry JDE 4.7.0 API Reference: Class UiEngineInstance

I assume that corresponds with the BB release level. As a result I would guess that the Kindle would work on BB OS 4.7 or greater, but it would be good if someone could confirm.

The only thing I know is that it runs on 5.0.0.230.
    02-19-10 12:40 PM
    Hmmm... Well, I am not seeing a sticky for OS 5.x for Sprint. Checked over in the Sprint section too and only see up through 4.5. Looks like I am out of luck unless I am missing info about updating to 5.x for the Sprint network.
    02-19-10 01:09 PM
    The direct amazon link is posted as the first item in this thread.

amazonaws.com is an amazon server of some sort.

Amazon tells you to go to:
    https://amazon.com/kindlebb?t=crackb...bUvbUpU4703591

That forwards you to the page:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/kcp...bUvbUpU4703591

That page has the download link:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/kindle/kcp...bUvbUpU4703591

Which in turn forwards you to the following download:

Since I've finally got my 10th post, those all should be live links :-D.
    I was able to d/l the Kindle app just fine; it works perfectly. I was referring to the Amazon (shopping) mobile app for the BB. It doesn't recognize my 8330 as a supported device; I was curious if you had the direct link for that app.

02-19-10 01:48 PM
    Thanks Tembenite for providing the info on how to get the Kindle app on the 8330. I was able to load it successfully after I upgraded the OS to v5.0.0.438. The only thing I have noticed is it seems slower when trying to access the internet. Do you know of any reason for this?

Thanks
    02-19-10 04:22 PM
    Can anyone confirm if you can read PDF's via this Kindle App?
    02-20-10 04:18 PM
    Can anyone confirm if you can read PDF's via this Kindle App?
    I'm wondering the same thing, given that there's no free pdf reader for BB.

02-22-10 02:21 PM
    I'm wondering the same thing, given that there's no free pdf reader for BB.

Doesn't appear to. I tried dumping a *.lit, *.pfd, and even a *.txt into the Kindles directory- no change when I opened the app. Unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to be a way of opening anything other than the downloaded Amazon stuff. That said, my wife would love it if someone could prove me wrong! All her ebooks are *.lit, and nothing opens them on the BlackBerry.
    02-22-10 02:38 PM
    Major Kudos for the direct link. I downloaded the boost version of os5 to my sprint curve and installed kindle with no problems. Plus I'm enjoying the upgraded features of the new os too.
    02-22-10 05:13 PM
    If anyone is having trouble using the direct link above, there is another on the webserver.

http://klamath.s3.amazonaws.com/rc8a/kindle.jad

Shortened URL: bit.ly/9DgrhY

Its a little smaller in file size, so I'd imagine that it's for older OS's, but I don't know for sure.

Please share your findings!
    02-23-10 12:39 AM
    Yep! I'm running the last official release by VZW and I used the smaller size and am running it!

02-24-10 02:25 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD