I reverted back to the 0.9.6 version and the 10k credits showed back up. I didn't notice what the changes were from 1.4. I still wish this app would let me refresh the contact info; for example, if someone changes their number, Kik still shows the old number. I have submitted suggestions thru the app so we'll see.
    07-21-10 10:04 AM
    Hi everyone -

Thanks for all the feedback on v1.4 - we're working on smoothing those issues out but I can address some of the problems now.

Registration for new users is currently failing the first time - but will go through on the second attempt. This is just a temporary thing - we are working on fixing this properly.

The SMS credits and the inability to send a message to a non-Kik user were unrelated. We've removed the SMS credits count from the Settings but this will not affect your ability to send an SMS message (now that we've fixed that). Although it does not indicate how many SMS credits you have you should not run out.

As for the Kik Contact list issue (numbers being changed but not refreshing) - I have tried to replicate this but it works for me (of course!). Kik pulls your contact information from your Address Book - are the Kik Contacts not reflecting Address Book changes?

As for the white screen of death - I have passed this information along to BlackBerry development and I will update you as soon as I get more information about that - but thanks for letting us know

@Sparro - Technically, the app will only work on an iPod Touch that has a phone number assigned (so that it can receive the verification SMS). What I suggest is using any phone that can receive verification texts to set up the app on the iPod (what I did was use a dumbphone - download Kik to iPod - enter in the other phone number - receive the text to the dumbphone - enter it into iPod). The app should work then - let me know how it goes.

Thanks everyone for your input - I report everything I come across to the team so it really helps with identifying issues.
    07-21-10 01:44 PM
    Wonder if you can now, since you invite people with their Kik codes and not SMS messages.

@Tera Shouldn't user ID's be called Kik kodes?
    The app still requires a 10 digit North American phone number in order to register the app - and at this stage in our development expansion to other countries is not (yet) possible. I would absolutely love to see world domination so hopefully we can expand sooner rather than later
    07-21-10 01:47 PM
    Hi everyone -

Thanks for all the feedback on v1.4 - we're working on smoothing those issues out but I can address some of the problems now.

As for the Kik Contact list issue (numbers being changed but not refreshing) - I have tried to replicate this but it works for me (of course!). Kik pulls your contact information from your Address Book - are the Kik Contacts not reflecting Address Book changes?
    Since you say we don't lose the 10k sms credits (just the ability to see them), I've deleted 0.9.6 and reinstalled Kik 1.4. I've checked my address book info and it is using the old number under one contact. I use the format 123.456.7890 but tried changing it to (123) 456-7890 with no luck. I tried 1-123-456-7890 with no luck. It still shows the old number. It will not refresh. I hope your techs will include an option to refresh or something. Do you think if I delete the contact and add him back it would help?
    07-21-10 02:03 PM
    Since you say we don't lose the 10k sms credits (just the ability to see them), I've deleted 0.9.6 and reinstalled Kik 1.4. I've checked my address book info and it is using the old number under one contact. I use the format 123.456.7890 but tried changing it to (123) 456-7890 with no luck. I tried 1-123-456-7890 with no luck. It still shows the old number. It will not refresh. I hope your techs will include an option to refresh or something. Do you think if I delete the contact and add him back it would help?
    Yes, give that a try - I'm talking right now to someone right now about this - hopefully we can replicate this here. Let me know what happens when deleting and re-adding the contact. Thanks
    07-21-10 02:22 PM
    OK! We replicated it - what seems to be the problem is when the number is put in the same field as it was in previously. So if you had a number in the Mobile field - and then updated that field - for some reason Kik Messenger is not updating it.

Try putting the number into a new field (Home, Work) - we're going to work on fixing this bug but that should be a temporary fix that works - let me know
    07-21-10 02:59 PM
    OK! We replicated it - what seems to be the problem is when the number is put in the same field as it was in previously. So if you had a number in the Mobile field - and then updated that field - for some reason Kik Messenger is not updating it.

Try putting the number into a new field (Home, Work) - we're going to work on fixing this bug but that should be a temporary fix that works - let me know
    Well I've already deleted the contact and rebooted the phone. When I launched Kik, the contact (with the wrong number) is still there!

Edit: I've re-added the contact and placed the new number in a different field and it made no difference. I'll keep subscribed to this thread to see if any progress has been made. Thanks for trying.
    Last edited by CZeph; 07-21-10 at 04:02 PM.
    07-21-10 03:15 PM
    Oh goodness - ok we're working on this because it seems like a pretty nasty bug.

Several things I've learned from the team - try adding a new contact (not the best solution I know) with the new number in either Home or Work 1 or 2 field.

If that doesn't work then try waiting a little bit - it may take some time for the changes to take effect in Kik. I'll keep working with the team to find the cause of this - and I will come back and update you.

I'm really sorry about this problem and thanks so much for your patience
    07-21-10 04:16 PM
    I'll give it a shot and get back to you.

Edit: I've added Jerry Seinfeld (I was watching his show at the time) and it added to Kik. I've changed his number in the address book and it changed in Kik. I deleted Jerry and it deleted in Kik. I added my contact with a good number and it didn't add him. I added him with 123.456.7890 and it added him and that number. I wonder if the good and bad number (there were only 2 digits off 1280 good/1208 bad) are somewhere in memory and Kik won't let me use the good one. I'm at a loss. If it were just a casual acquaintance I wouldn't even worry about it but it's my son's number.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by CZeph; 07-21-10 at 04:38 PM.
    07-21-10 04:19 PM
    I'd like to see a filter to show just Kik contacts (kontacts?) or a Kik only tab.
    07-22-10 09:39 AM
    Hey Tera, have you guys thought of trying to implement some type of PIN to register kik instead of a phone number... similar to what pmessenger uses? That way it could be international instead of being limited to North America?
    pmessenger uses the BlackBerry PIN for BlackBerries and generates a BB type PIN for the iPhone.
    Just a thought... its actually kinda cool the way it does that.

Also, do you have any info on when some of the other features (group chat, picture contacts, picture, video & voice notes) will be available?
    Last edited by Sparro; 07-23-10 at 11:12 PM.
    07-23-10 11:10 PM
    Hey - I just wanted to give you guys a quick update on what is going to happen with Kik Messenger over the next little while.

We're still working on it very hard because we want it to work smoothly for every person out there - so if you come across any issues don't hesitate to submit them.

That said, we are also working on other facets of the application that will make it amazing and really great for everyone. Kik is going to be more than just a 'BBM' app. We definitely are not going to abandon Kik Messenger - there just may be delays between updates.

In about 2 months time we should be able to announce a *very* upgraded version of Kik Messenger - one that incorporates all of the rad suggestions that you guys have given me. Over the next few months I'll let you know about the most popular suggestions and hopefully we can work out the best way to make Kik awesome. I wish that all this could happen today but this is an excellent lesson in patience for me.

I love that you guys are so vocal and helpful - and don't worry if things appear to 'slow down' - we're definitely in this for the long haul
    What do you guys think?
    07-26-10 02:35 PM
    That sounds great Tera!

I hope that the new features don't bloat it Kik. I really like the small memory print and it does exactly what I need it to do.
    07-26-10 03:56 PM
    @tera_kristen When I add new contacts to Kik, the contacts are only shown as phone numbers and not with their names in my BB address book. Even when contacts I invite join Kik, their names do not appear. I feel like there are some issues with contacts that I read in the thread, but not sure if this issue was specifically addressed. Do I need to delete and reinstall the program?
    07-27-10 11:04 AM
    I get the same thing on a few contacts. Do you notice if these are iPhone users only, android users only, non-smartphone users (who you sms with) or a combo of the three? I think they'll have this fixed soon.
    07-27-10 11:44 AM
    This is happening to all my contacts and yes, they are all iphone users. Also, for some reason when I go to settings now, I do not have notification options (vibrate or sound) and also cannot see how many free texts I have remaining. All it shows is the box for push notification and my personal information/kik code.

My iphone friends who downloaded Kik are not having an issue seeing people's names on their phones, so I am guessing this is limited to the blackberry app only.
    07-27-10 12:32 PM
    As far as notification options, do you mean you go to your sound profiles or kik settings - because in your sound profiles (under other) is where you'll find your options (vibrate/sound). With v1.4, Tera said they removed the count but we should not run out so I'm guessing the 10K is still there but underneath it all.

My iPhone peeps see a date/time stamp for each msg sent (while we don't) but hopefully the upcoming updates will fix all these things. Like I have 1 iPhone friend who has her name and everything correct and others who only show their numbers. I can't figure out what the difference is but - I'm keeping hope alive for the updates. At least they're getting my msgs so that's the 2nd most important thing. The most important thing is I'm able to send almost unlimited texts on a not unlimited text plan!
    07-27-10 02:12 PM
    Kik just posted a possible fix on Facebook. It posted that if your friends' names aren't showing up on your list they should register their name under settings (using the same name they previously registered with) and that should fix the problem. I haven't been able to get any of my annoyances (friends) to reply to my last kik msg to see if it works.
    07-27-10 04:58 PM
    I too have no time stamps when displaying messages, my iPhone peeps have time stamps with every message.
    My other issue is the message bubble is cut in half and doesn't show the entire message unless i exit the app then go back into it. I'm on 1.4 with a 9550 on Telus.
    07-27-10 05:10 PM
    Hey guys!

Oh, you beat me to it

Yeah, so unfortunately the issue that appears for you has to be fixed by your friend. It's not very time consuming though - just a name change. But, please let your friends know - we are going to work on fixing it for you - it just may take a day or two (I assume that if you can fix it now you will

And CZeph is absolutely right regarding the SMS credits and the sound profiles.

Let me know how everything goes!
    07-27-10 05:11 PM
    @Sparro - Try upgrading from App World or Kik | Text Anyone for Free

To anyone having the time stamp issue: even if you have already downloaded the latest version - the one from Kik | Text Anyone for Free was improper before so you may have a faulty version. There are still time stamps on the BlackBerry version.

Let me know after that whether you come across the cut message bubble again.

Thanks
    07-27-10 05:15 PM
    Hey guys!

Oh, you beat me to it

Yeah, so unfortunately the issue that appears for you has to be fixed by your friend. It's not very time consuming though - just a name change. But, please let your friends know - we are going to work on fixing it for you - it just may take a day or two (I assume that if you can fix it now you will

And CZeph is absolutely right regarding the SMS credits and the sound profiles.

Let me know how everything goes!
    Sorry; didn't mean to steal your thunder. But I love this app! I can't wait for the updates... My peeples are loving it, also (they think I'm getting a cut for pushing Kik but once they get it they don't care HOW they got lead to it).
    07-27-10 05:25 PM
    To anyone having the time stamp issue: even if you have already downloaded the latest version - the one from Kik | Text Anyone for Free was improper before so you may have a faulty version. There are still time stamps on the BlackBerry version.
    When you say the BB version has time stamps, do you mean the chat is time stamped or each msg in the chat? Because on the list of chats screen there is either the day or the time since a msg was sent/received but in the chat itself, there is only an R with a check mark, or an S with a check mark. And those only show up on the msgs I sent, not my iphone friend. On her iphone, the app time stamps what she sends AND receives. Maybe it will show from new msgs I receive. I just got the version 1.4 from m/kik.com.
    07-27-10 05:39 PM
    When I open up my chats I can scroll over each individual message (sent or received) and the time stamp appears in the upper right corner. I'm sorry I didn't specify before where to find these time stamps!

Do you see them there?
    07-27-10 05:45 PM
    My bad. I see the stamps in the bar with the name of the person I chatted with. I was looking at the individual msg like it would be posted there. Oops.
    07-27-10 05:51 PM
207 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD