RIM became aware of a number of issues and customer concerns regarding the Kik app and service. Following discussions with Kik, the app was removed from BlackBerry App World on November 12. Upon further investigation, RIM concluded that Kik had breached contractual obligations. Based on the broad scope and seriousness of the issues and concerns, RIM terminated its agreements with Kik and withdrew RIM�s support for Kik�s service.
    scan the barcode for source.
    11-23-10 04:03 PM
    Sure would like to know what the issues were...
    11-23-10 05:10 PM
    Me too. Was a great cross platform app
    11-23-10 05:29 PM
    WhatsApp and Ping are still here. Obviously Kik did something wrong so what else can you say? Violating a agreement or something, maybe private data mining.

Oh, and Kik ruined my battery life and caused all kinds of errors so I could care less.
    11-23-10 06:20 PM
    I heard something along the lines of stealing e-mails...
    11-23-10 06:56 PM
    Whatever the reason, good riddance. The app was a battery draining,
    counter-intuitive POS.
    11-23-10 08:49 PM
    Does it still work if we have it installed?

I know the kik team is trying to work everything out with RIM.

But ill be pretty sad if kik is taken away ... All my friends with iphones and droids use it and probably won't switch to pingchat or something else.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-10 10:04 PM
    Does it still work if we have it installed?

I know the kik team is trying to work everything out with RIM.

But ill be pretty sad if kik is taken away ... All my friends with iphones and droids use it and probably won't switch to pingchat or something else.

Yes it still works if you have the app installed. The only downside is there is delays for Blackberry versions for upto one hour for sending and receiving
    11-23-10 10:07 PM
    Kik is garbage. Whatsapp sends and receives messages instantly and works across many more OS's.
    11-23-10 11:26 PM
    Whatsapp also drains battery (at least kik used to stop running in the background automatically after 30 mins of non use, and only restart with a message push)

Whatsapp also is not available for androids

11-23-10 11:47 PM
    I agree. Whatsapp is not better. I used it and it was so much worse, interface is horrible. In the end both messengers had almost instant send and receive capabilities. The only time its different is now with Kik having troubles with RIM. It may work over more OS' but really it won't matter when it was horrible to begin with so many more used Kik than Whatsapp
    11-23-10 11:49 PM
    Whatsapp also drains battery (at least kik used to stop running in the background automatically after 30 mins of non use, and only restart with a message push)

Whatsapp also is not available for androids

Um, wrong and wrong. Try again.
    11-24-10 12:11 AM
    Um, wrong and wrong. Try again.
    Its not officially available for android or symbian os. Both are in beta testing stages
    11-24-10 12:14 AM
    Its not officially available for android or symbian os. Both are in beta testing stages
    And? Let me guess, you've never used a leaked or hybrid OS either?
    11-24-10 12:16 AM
    By wrong you mean what.

Kik does stop running after 30 min and whatsapp is not available for android yet - they may well be testing but it is not available for mass download.

11-24-10 12:20 AM
    By wrong you mean what.

Kik does stop running after 30 min and whatsapp is not available for android yet - they may well be testing but it is not available for mass download.

Ugh. Whatsapp doesn't drain the battery and anyone can download the Android version here: WhatsApp Messenger for Android You can also get it from the Android Market: Twitter / WhatsApp Inc.: Yup, WhatsApp for Android ...
    11-24-10 12:26 AM
    reason y Kik was booted because of issues with privacy
    11-24-10 12:28 AM
    That's a shame kik wasn't perfect but it was the only cross platform IM and it worked pretty good. Knowing RIM it was probably some security or privacy issue.

11-24-10 12:38 AM
    That's a shame kik wasn't perfect but it was the only cross platform IM and it worked pretty good. Knowing RIM it was probably some security or privacy issue.

Shocking. Try reading the thread.
    11-24-10 12:40 AM
    @kobayashi
    Sadly the facts are
    Whatsapp in the background overnight - usage >2.5% per hour
    Kik only stays in the background 30 min so over night usage drops to <1% per hour
    (usage as recorded meterberry)
    And the android noikia apps are beta as per WhatsApp Smartphone Messenger and many people will not load beta apps so it is not universal

11-24-10 03:55 AM

Wrong it wasn't the only cross platform I'm app as ping does exactly the same job, they have had there developer licence revoked, they will not be getting it back, the app is gone now stop ******** about it.

11-24-10 05:41 AM
    whatsapp is not available for android yet - they may well be testing but it is not available for mass download.
    You can get it in the Market right now...
    11-24-10 08:19 AM
    Does anyone have any specific details been released/leaked regarding this issue? RIM mentioned "consumer complaints" - did anyone using kik ever complain to RIM about kik?

I would like to get past the speculation and the death to RIM/KIK postings. Im just looking for actual facts about the contract violation.
    11-24-10 09:20 AM
    You can get it in the Market right now...
    Shhh. Trolls don't like to be proven wrong.

@kobayashi
    And the android noikia apps are beta as per WhatsApp Smartphone Messenger and many people will not load beta apps so it is not universal

Um, try again.
    Last edited by kobayashi; 11-24-10 at 09:52 AM.
    11-24-10 09:50 AM
    PingChat made a post on their blog about this check their site
    11-24-10 01:37 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD