I am pleased to announce that KBLauncher 2.0 has exited beta and is now available on the CrackBerry app store (MobiHand) as well as BlackBerry App World. For a limited time -- don't rush, you've got a few days -- KBLauncher is selling for a promotional price of $0.99. The regular price is $2.99.

So ... what is KBLauncher? KBLauncher is a faster, more convenient way to use your BlackBerry, powered by your keyboard. It is ready to use from the moment you install it, automatically detecting and cataloging your apps. Just start typing and watch the matches narrow. Hit Enter. That's it. Think of this as a command line for your BlackBerry.

New in version 2.0.0:
    • New utilities: Screenshot, Event Log, Power Off, Reset LED
    • New commands: SMS Inbox, MMS Inbox, Media, Music, Pictures, Playlists, Ringtones, Videos, Voice Notes, Podcasts.
    • New ways to launch KBLauncher: use the system menu or home screen shortcut.
    • Fixes to recognized some apps: Twitter, UberSocial, Social Feeds (OS6) and Maps (OS6).
    02-23-11 09:39 PM
    This is a great app...I really recommend it.
    02-24-11 06:31 PM
    Me, too. I love it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-11 06:45 PM
    so does this work kinda like universal search in os6?
    02-24-11 07:08 PM
    so does this work kinda like universal search in os6?
    KBLauncher was released in 2009, before Universal Search existed, so I did not have that in mind when I designed it. But yes, there is certainly some similarity. One difference comes from KBLauncher's UI as working from a command line metaphor. If you ever used command-completion shells like Bash you'd realize that they match the command from the front rather than do a substring search. KBLauncher also lets you match first-letters by holding down the shift key: Shift-GM will match Google Maps, for example.

KBLauncher also has a few utilities. You would type "Screenshot" to save a screenshot, for example, "WiFi On/Off" to toggle WiFi or "Event Log" to open the event log. You won't find that with Universal Search.

Whether due to its speed, simple UI or extra utilities, a number of users (including myself but hey, I'm biased) prefer KBLauncher over OS6's Universal Search. It lets me turn on the Home Screen shortcuts rather than search. It's a matter of taste. The nice thing about apps like this is that you have choices.
    02-24-11 11:10 PM
    KBLauncher is kinda combination Universal Search and QuickLaunch. I like it anyway.
    02-24-11 11:26 PM
    KBLauncher takes Universal Search to the next level. Great app!!
    02-25-11 08:40 AM
    Checking out the trial and will probably buy for both my wife and I before the sale ends (although I am not sure when that is).

I have a Storm 2 and I was wondering if there is a way to select the app you want in the list that is auto-populating by clicking on it or is the only way to launch the app by continuing to type the name of the app until the one you want is in the box and then hitting enter?
    02-25-11 09:25 AM
    Checking out the trial and will probably buy for both my wife and I before the sale ends (although I am not sure when that is).

I have a Storm 2 and I was wondering if there is a way to select the app you want in the list that is auto-populating by clicking on it or is the only way to launch the app by continuing to type the name of the app until the one you want is in the box and then hitting enter?
    I found in the help section that I can click the app in the box to launch it in addition to hitting enter.

I also saw that you can scroll down with the trackball to select and launch the app from the list. That's the functionality I am hoping to find with the touchscreen. Instead of scrolling down with a trackball, clicking right on it on the touchscreen. Is this possible or planned in the future?

Thanks! It's a great app. I can't believe I haven't used it before!!!
    02-25-11 09:45 AM

Sorry, but that dropdown is meant to be used with a trackball/trackpad, so Storm users can't select from there. I'll consider adding touch scrolling in the future, since you are not the only Storm user to complain about that.

If you launch that app once, it will be the first choice the next time you start selecting it, so you won't have to type quite as much in the future. KBLauncher adapts to your usage. If it's a long, multi-word app, you can use the shift key to match the first letter of each word (Shift-GM will match Google Maps, for example).
    02-25-11 12:17 PM
    KBLauncher is kinda combination Universal Search and QuickLaunch. I like it anyway.
    With KBLauncher, Universal Search and QL I never have to leave my homescreen.....
    02-26-11 09:47 AM
    Installed the update today and now when I try to launch it, the screen goes white. I have set permissions and done several battery pulls. Can you please advise?? Thanks!

Update: I didn't realize that I needed to take the screenshot...don't remember doing that initially. Did that and a battery pull and it seems good to go! Thanks for the update.
    Last edited by jsdaa; 08-21-11 at 09:35 AM.
    08-21-11 08:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD