We've just announced a new version of the Live Search application for BlackBerry devices. This one's been re-designed from the ground up with a completely new UI, simple network detection, GPS integration and a lot more!

Download it by pointing your BlackBerry browser to:

wls.live.com

Please read the FAQ if you experience trouble downloading or using the application at:

wls-beta.members.winisp.net/bbfaq.htm

Of course, since we've re-done the app, we haven't taken the Beta tag off...yet. =) We'd love to hear your feedback before we do so, at [email protected].

You can find out more about the app at livesearchmobile.com.

** Updated: version 2.0.3048.13898 (May '08) **

Live Search for BlackBerry Beta (BlackBerry OS 4.1 or later)

What is Live Search for BlackBerry?
    Live Search for BlackBerry is the essential mobile companion – it is an application you can install on your BlackBerry phone that makes it easy to search for business, get driving directions, view maps with up-the-minute traffic information and much more when you’re on the go.

What’s New?
    The new version of Live Search for BlackBerry has the following new features:
    Contact Integration. Save a search result to your contacts for quick access later.
    Mail to a Friend. Send a text message with search result details to a friend.
    Speech Recognition (for GSM devices with BlackBerry OS 4.2 and later). No need to type – for yellow page listings, just say what you want to find!
    Web Search. Initiate a web search from within the application just by clicking the ‘Web’ icon to get results from various other scopes, e.g. Web, News, Images, and more.
    Weather. Get current weather conditions and a 4-day forecast for your current location.
    Improved Searching. Speak or type an address into the main search box – try saying “One Microsoft Way Redmond Washington” or your home address.
    Increased Traffic Coverage. Up-to-minute traffic info for more cities, e.g. Dallas, Indianapolis, and more.

Same As It Ever Was…
    Local Search. Search yellow and white page listings near you.
    Driving Directions. After finding a business, get directions to your destination.
    Maps. Smooth panning/zooming experience with maps optimized for readability and efficient use of your data connection.
    Traffic. View maps with up-to-the minute traffic information.
    GPS Integration. Track your progress along a route by clicking Menu > Center On GPS when you’re viewing the route on a map.
    Movie Showtimes. Quickly browse movie show times near you organized by movie or by theater.
    We want your feedback!
    Please send all feedback, suggestions, bugs, and questions to [email protected].

Happy Searching!
    -- The Live Search for mobile Team
    Last edited by LSMobile; 05-15-08 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Adding FAQ
    10-16-07 04:28 PM
    Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Microsoft!

I'm going to download this right now and play with it.... I hope it's good!
    10-16-07 04:51 PM
    D'Oh! Download Failed....

On the download screen it says it supports OS 4 > and the United States. I'm guessing the download failed because I'm in Canada?!

I'm using an unlocked AT&T 8300 Curve on Rogers
    10-16-07 04:57 PM
    Wow! Looks like we've made it to the big time! Microsoft hittin up CB.com. Will def dl this and check it out.
    10-16-07 04:58 PM
    Just downloaded it. Looks cool. I will post more after I get to play with it.
    10-16-07 05:31 PM
    D'Oh! Download Failed....

On the download screen it says it supports OS 4 > and the United States. I'm guessing the download failed because I'm in Canada?!

I'm using an unlocked AT&T 8300 Curve on Rogers
    Hi Kevin,
    Shouldn't be a problem that you're in Canada. I'm in Holland and I was able to download it.
    Looking forward to trying it out when I'm back in DC!
    10-16-07 06:16 PM
    It doesn't work with the internal GPS in my BB (7130e). Other than that, it looks like a promising application.

anyone else able to get it to connect?
    10-16-07 06:18 PM
    I downloaded and installed earlier today on my 8830. As of now, my only problem is that the GPS interfacing isn't so good. Standing in the same location, BB Maps locked in on my location....LIVE only told me that my GPS location unavailable. Try again, Microsoft
    10-16-07 06:38 PM
    I downloaded and installed on my 8830 and it works great. Granted, I've only used it for about an hour, but pretty happy with it. Can't wait to use it on a road trip.
    10-16-07 06:52 PM
    Thanks for the replies, all!

As for the GPS issues, we're actively investigating this. We'll keep you abreast of developments.
    Last edited by LSMobile; 10-16-07 at 06:56 PM.
    10-16-07 06:53 PM
    It looks like it could be a pretty nice app, but for some reason it will not let me configure my internal gps receiver on my 8800.
    10-16-07 07:05 PM
    So far so good. Albeit I wanted the 'directions' to give me a bit more options, i.e. from say somewhere in Atlanta, to somewhere else in Atlanta...

Also, to exit the program, I shouldn't have to do a menu / exit. I should be able to hold down ESC and that should close it for me.
    Last edited by anon(153966); 10-16-07 at 07:59 PM. Reason: ...added a note
    10-16-07 07:56 PM
    I am trying to download it, I go to the above address and it is for windows mobile???
    I clicked on download thinking there might be bb version, nope... just 2 different wm versions.
    Whats up?
    10-16-07 08:16 PM
    I am trying to download it, I go to the above address and it is for windows mobile???
    I clicked on download thinking there might be bb version, nope... just 2 different wm versions.
    Whats up?
    I figured it out, I had my browser set to wm emulation, the site detected the browser as wm not bb, I changed the setting and restarted the bb browser and it worked perfect.
    10-16-07 08:22 PM
    Also, to exit the program, I shouldn't have to do a menu / exit. I should be able to hold down ESC and that should close it for me.
    I also found this annoying. It makes it hard for a one handed closing of the program.
    10-16-07 08:42 PM
    Stupid Question..... will it work with the Verizon locked up GPS, or are we talking about another directions only application? Thanks in advance.
    10-16-07 09:05 PM
    Stupid Question..... will it work with the Verizon locked up GPS, or are we talking about another directions only application? Thanks in advance.
    No gps for Verizon. (for now)
    10-16-07 09:08 PM
    How does this match up with Infospace Find It for those who've used both?
    10-16-07 09:22 PM
    How does this match up with Infospace Find It for those who've used both?
    I have infospace on mine. I do see a lot of similarities. I haven't really used infospace that much though.
    10-16-07 09:24 PM
    What am I doing wrong, please? I get stuck on GPS init page with GPS Receiver initialization stuck on screen. Thanks in advance.
    10-16-07 09:41 PM
    i have the same problem as Kevin,

download failed. it says cant import the zip file....

well i know there is a transfer problem.but i have tons of space open in the bb..what could the problem be...
    10-16-07 09:55 PM
    I get stuck on the GPS Init too on my VZW 8830 .. No love.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-07 10:23 PM
    It looks like it could be a pretty nice app, but for some reason it will not let me configure my internal gps receiver on my 8800.
    What am I doing wrong, please? I get stuck on GPS init page with GPS Receiver initialization stuck on screen. Thanks in advance.
    Are both of you using a VZW device? They may be blocking GPS usage on their devices.

i have the same problem as Kevin,

download failed. it says cant import the zip file....
    Are you and Kevin both using a BlackBerry Curve?

I also found this annoying. It makes it hard for a one handed closing of the program.
    Thanks Trevor. This is good feedback... we will try to incorporate this in the next version!
    10-16-07 10:32 PM
    Yes, Verizon Wireless 8830. But I saw someone else had no problem loading on a VZW 8830. It starts to load and then goes to GPS init screen and hangs up on "GPS Receiver Initialization".
    10-16-07 10:34 PM
    So far so good. Albeit I wanted the 'directions' to give me a bit more options, i.e. from say somewhere in Atlanta, to somewhere else in Atlanta...

You can input address just like doing it on mapquest, just change your Start and End search and it should find the addresses you entered and will give you a choice or selection to confirm which one that are listed is that one you are looking for.

So far it is good, but just tested this direction since I REALLY SUCK with directions
    10-16-07 11:04 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD