Hey guys,

I just downloaded the new OS 6 for my blackberry bold 9700. I am currently on a data plan, but when I click on the facebook app, twitter app, etc it says "you are currently on a service plan that does not support this application. If you want to use this application please contact your service provider to upgrade your data plan."

I do not have an unlimited data plan with ATT, but my data plan is 200mb of internet per month. Even when connected to wi-fi the apps do not work. Any ideas of why this happened? Is it because of something with OS 6, do I no longer have a data plan because of my software upgrade?
    06-04-11 12:26 PM
    Do you have a specific BlackBerry BIS data plan, because a standard data plan will not work.

If you do, then updating your OS will not affect the status of your plan. You just need to resend your service books.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-11 12:31 PM
    I do not believe that I have a specific BIS data plan. Right now, I only have a limited 200mb internet service data plan from ATT. What do you mean by resending my service books? Also, since I updated to OS 6 without a specific BIS plan, did this mess up my ATT data plan?
    06-04-11 01:00 PM
    You cannot use any of the native apps from RIM (BlackBerry Messenger, Facebook, Twitter, IM) without a BlackBerry data plan (BIS). Generic data plans will not work.

AT&T requires appropriate data plans for all smartphones added since September 2009. For a BlackBerry, this is BIS.

AT&T does IMEI sweeps, and if they detect a smartphone in use, they will automatically add the more expensive data plan for that device. This is in their terms of service.

What Are The Voice And Data Plan Requirements? - Wireless Customer Agreement - Wireless from AT&T.
    06-04-11 01:05 PM
    I just logged into my ATT account and looked at my features. The data plan is under "Smartphone Bundles" and is called "DataPlus 200MB for Smartphone" and is my current data plan. Underneath that, I can select a BlackBerry Bundle, but I currently do not have a BlackBerry data plan, I am just running a generic smartphone data plan. So this is why I cannot run the native apps from RIM?
    06-04-11 01:12 PM
    Your original data plan has not been affected by the OS upgrade.

You will need a BIS data plan though, for internet browsing or running any apps that use data (Facebook, Twitter etc). These will not work over wifi either.

Service books are pushed to your phone by your carrier. They control the connection to and data over RIM's BIS servers. Without an active BIS data plan, you won't have those service books... hence nothing works

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-11 01:12 PM
    I just logged into my ATT account and looked at my features. The data plan is under "Smartphone Bundles" and is called "DataPlus 200MB for Smartphone" and is my current data plan. Underneath that, I can select a BlackBerry Bundle, but I currently do not have a BlackBerry data plan, I am just running a generic smartphone data plan. So this is why I cannot run the native apps from RIM?
    Since you already have a smartphone plan, there will be no additional charge to change it to a BlackBerry plan. You just need to call AT&T and have them switch you from the smartphone plan to the BIS plan. Then the native apps from RIM will work.
    06-04-11 01:14 PM
    If in the meantime you want to run those apps- FB or Twitter, you can use the MOBILE versions that are not BB specific. They might have a slightly different look, but they function the same.
    06-06-11 08:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD