Just got a BB Bold 9900 and switched from my 3 year old BB Bold 9000. Updated to the 1.0.21 version and am getting the 'java.lang.illegalArgument Exception: invalid character in name' error.

Don't know how to fix the error.
    -----------------------------------------
    Read where the database was changed so went to the web site to make a new COURSE.XML file and got the following error message;

"Bad query: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1"

My thinking was that if the course database changed then i needed to make a new COURSE.XML file and then download it and the courses again to fix the error I was getting.
    -----------------------------------------
    Also I noted that you changed the way multiple courses at same facility are handled. Might work for courses that have 18 holes that are already set such as a course with two different 18 hole layouts.

But what about a course with 27 holes, 3 different 9 hole courses? There are 6 different course combination possibilities. For example in California at Blacklake in Nipomo there used to be three different nine hole courses I had mapped. Now there are two Blacklake facilities showing, One has the original three courses, although someone has renamed them incorrectly, and there are 2 combination courses out of a possible 6 started both fail on hole 1. The other Blacklake facility has one course listed.

(I guess you could consider 3 combinations and then the difference would be starting on back nine if the order of play was reversed).

So when I am able again to make a course.xml file will I have to download all of the courses associated with the facility?
    Last edited by CigarDad; 11-29-11 at 12:00 PM.
    11-27-11 12:37 PM
    Still trying to get it to work on my BB 9900.

The web site this time allowed me to make a course xml file. However when I went to copy all or the individual course xml files over to the device using 'save target as' each course wanted to be saved as bbgpsgolf.course.xml

I renamed each course prior to saving to matching the file name listed on the web site.

Still getting error. When a course does come up on the phone which ever course name I click on it brings up the same course.
    12-06-11 05:41 PM
    I switched the options from files on SD card to allow for OTA access. I am able to download a course and have it work that way. This leads me to believe that there is an issue with courses.xml creation from the web site or the actual gof courses xml files themselves.
    12-07-11 11:05 AM
    I switched the options from files on SD card to allow for OTA access. I am able to download a course and have it work that way. This leads me to believe that there is an issue with courses.xml creation from the web site or the actual gof courses xml files themselves.
    12-07-11 11:50 AM
    12-07-11 12:00 PM
    Hey,

Thanks a lot for the help in finding this issue. The work you did made it much faster for me to find the issue. I have sent you a beta build to test out the fixed.

It looks like the issue was I was passing the wrong location do the download course fuction from the select course list. Not sure how this changed... but it looks like it did.

Let me know how the beta version goes along with the graphical icons

Thanks a lot for your help with this issue!
    12-12-11 03:13 PM
    Justin,

Is there a way to put "the fix" into the prior version? I prefer not to have the new icons as they block the display of the 'what club to hit' feature.

Thanks
    12-20-11 12:54 PM
    I recently upgraded from version 18 to version 21 and am now getting the 'java.lang.illegalArgument Exception: invalid character in name' error message as well. Would I be able to get the beta fix as well?
    12-26-11 08:56 AM
    Hello,

I have been using this app for years, just updated to this version and having the same issue since I load everything from device memory. Any idea when this will be fixed, or how to get a hold of the beta file? Also looking for a link to download .18.

Thanks so much for your efforts and a great app!!
    03-31-12 10:39 AM
    I have the same problem since updating to the new version. Haven't been able to use the app since last November. Has anyone gotten a solution?
    I've been using the nRange app now that BBGPS doesn't work. It's okay but I miss having my club distances.
    04-19-12 02:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD