Has anyone else encountered this? I installed the app from appworld and now I am getting emails from them about their other apps. The part that worries me is that my appworld account is tied to a personal email address, the spam is coming to my BES account. It seems like they are reporting back your default account address and then using that for marketing.

I don't recall ever giving my address out to them (especially my work account) so I just want to make sure they are in fact stealing my account info before I go complaining about it. It might have been acceptable if they asked for me to release my info to them but I don't recall any dialog boxes asking for me to.

Can anyone confirm this?
    10-04-10 05:49 PM
    I wont get into it too much, but it has been confirmed in the past that the developer you are referring to has done that with other applications of his.
    10-04-10 06:10 PM
    i still get emials from them........wow thats crazy man
    10-04-10 06:55 PM
    I've gotten a couple of apps that are theirs but haven't gotten e-mail for a bit. Based upon what I've seen here though, I will not purchase another. In fact, I may just delete the ones I've got!!!
    10-04-10 07:08 PM
    Does he do it under his own name?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-04-10 08:34 PM
    I would NOT put any of his app on my phone nor the "Caller ID Reader" as well.
    It demands access to all the data on the phone and that is not needed.
    It also sends data back to the author ISpeech. Just try to limit its data connections and you will see what I mean.

Tim
    10-05-10 10:07 AM
    Has anyone else encountered this? I installed the app from appworld and now I am getting emails from them about their other apps. The part that worries me is that my appworld account is tied to a personal email address, the spam is coming to my BES account. It seems like they are reporting back your default account address and then using that for marketing.

I don't recall ever giving my address out to them (especially my work account) so I just want to make sure they are in fact stealing my account info before I go complaining about it. It might have been acceptable if they asked for me to release my info to them but I don't recall any dialog boxes asking for me to.

Can anyone confirm this?
    I reckon you could report this back to RIM / App World Team and they will take action. That kind of behavior definitely violates the App World and in general developer terms of RIM.
    12-15-10 08:22 PM
    RIM should pull them off AppWorld like they did with KIK.
    12-15-10 10:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD