I'm not sure when RIM stated that you couldn't install apps on the SD card due to security, but that's at least partially BS. The main reason is a technical reason. Blackberrys are normally very snappy and responsive. This is because the apps are stored in on-board memory which is substantially faster than an external SD card. The reason they force you to store apps in main memory is to speed up the device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-10 07:15 PM
    WHY RIM DO NOT ALLOW TO INSTALL APPS ON THE SD CARD?

There is the real reason: Security

Why? Cause the BES users can wipe/lock/burn the SIM from a computer if they lose it, but not the SD card...

If you have X Billion $ info stored in you business BB(contact, contract, confidential email, sync with confidentiel info, etc...) you cant take the risk to store anything that will stay in the card if you remotly wipe your phone.

RIM have too many business user or ''important'' people user (barrack Obama for exemple) to not take this in consideration.

That's why you can store apps on the SD card. With 256mb of phone memory, you have a large memory to store a lot of apps!
    01-15-10 07:27 PM
    Well said. The device could be set to "high security" as a default so if someone wanted to install apps on the memory card they would have to change some settings and read some warnings. That would deter the people who don't know what they're doing.
    Agree with that!
    01-15-10 07:30 PM
    I'm not sure when RIM stated that you couldn't install apps on the SD card due to security, but that's at least partially BS. The main reason is a technical reason. Blackberrys are normally very snappy and responsive. This is because the apps are stored in on-board memory which is substantially faster than an external SD card. The reason they force you to store apps in main memory is to speed up the device.

That's another bs I'm smelling. I own the earliest of pda. Remember windows mobile didn't allow u to install apps on sd card? Then they allow u? I couldn't tell any difference in speed. Nothing noticeable. And windows mobile was buggy as h ell too. If ms can do it, why can't rim? If there is some truth to it, I would rather sacrifice a small bit of speed than not allowing me to install apps on a sd card. I'll take that option any day of the week.

Remember the naysayer that rim is for business only and should not have a touchscreen, mp3, camera etc. What happen now? They came out with all those option on their new bb. Rim is trying to satisfied ur normal consumer. If they don't adapt, they will died.

I will be surprise if their new model coming out next year don't allow u to install apps on sd. Come back and read this thread next year and see who is right or wrong.

Last edited by vincentnyc; 01-15-10 at 08:41 PM.
    01-15-10 07:30 PM
    WHY RIM DO NOT ALLOW TO INSTALL APPS ON THE SD CARD?

There is the real reason: Security

Why? Cause the BES users can wipe/lock/burn the SIM from a computer if they lose it, but not the SD card...

If you have X Billion $ info stored in you business BB(contact, contract, confidential email, sync with confidentiel info, etc...) you cant take the risk to store anything that will stay in the card if you remotly wipe your phone.

RIM have too many business user or ''important'' people user (barrack Obama for exemple) to not take this in consideration.

That's why you can store apps on the SD card. With 256mb of phone memory, you have a large memory to store a lot of apps!
    256 MB is a lot of memory? Is this a joke? 20 yrs ago with windows 3.1. Ppl say 4 MB of ram is a lot of memory and they won't ever need more than that.

Yes u can do a remote wipe on the phone, but u can't remote wipe a sd card. So I see 2 options that rim can come out with:

1. Either allow us to remote wipe the sd card also if the phone is lost or better encrytion. This will allow us to install 3rd party app on sd card.

2. Or give us bigger on board memory. 1 GB at least. But this will be every expensive.

01-15-10 07:45 PM
    Remote wipe feature on an easily removed media is almost a moot point though.
    01-15-10 08:14 PM

Pic taken with Bold 9700, stored on 16GB Micro SD Card
    Funny..
    01-15-10 09:27 PM
    I found one sorta app that can be installed on the sd card. It is slacker. There is a folder call slacker on my sd card and everytime I sync the cache station it stored it on my sd card.

Do u think other 3rd party apps will start doing this? Going behind rim's back?

01-16-10 01:03 AM
    haha, everyone in here is complaining about RIM not allowing people to store 3rd party apps on mem card. why? cause you want to start an argument with people over the internet? if you have that much time on your hands just downgrade to 4.7 the go through each update in numerical order... if you still feel anxious to talk s*** then repeat all previous steps.

have a nice night
    01-16-10 01:27 AM
    That's another bs I'm smelling. I own the earliest of pda. Remember windows mobile didn't allow u to install apps on sd card? Then they allow u? I couldn't tell any difference in speed. Nothing noticeable. And windows mobile was buggy as h ell too. If ms can do it, why can't rim? If there is some truth to it, I would rather sacrifice a small bit of speed than not allowing me to install apps on a sd card. I'll take that option any day of the week.

Remember the naysayer that rim is for business only and should not have a touchscreen, mp3, camera etc. What happen now? They came out with all those option on their new bb. Rim is trying to satisfied ur normal consumer. If they don't adapt, they will died.

I will be surprise if their new model coming out next year don't allow u to install apps on sd. Come back and read this thread next year and see who is right or wrong.

I'm just stating facts, your mileage may certainly vary. But the fact of the matter is, everthing is faster on internal flash. If you can't see a difference, good for you, but there is one, and it's often significant. I'm not defending RIMs decisions, I'm just explaining part of the issue.
    01-16-10 02:31 AM
    Do u think other 3rd party apps will start doing this? Going behind rim's back?
    They have been doing this for a while. Ebook readers do this. Repligo, Docs2Go, various image viewers, etc can all pull data from the SD card and cache data there. Most programs don't operate that way due to the slow speed.

From a programming standpoint: if you keep all of the files in the internal app memory, your program will run faster and you do not need to devote code to confirming that the card hasn't been removed (intentionally or accidentally) during your operation.
    01-16-10 07:55 AM
    I'm just stating facts, your mileage may certainly vary. But the fact of the matter is, everthing is faster on internal flash. If you can't see a difference, good for you, but there is one, and it's often significant. I'm not defending RIMs decisions, I'm just explaining part of the issue.
    U really think so huh? Tell me, how big are most apps on a bb now? Most apps I installed on my bb are less than 1 MB. U think u will notice speed difference? If so, how much faster? Since u seem to know it is faster. Please tell us? 1 second slower, 1 min slower, or 1 hour slower if apps were installed on sd card? Please do tell us.

01-16-10 08:34 AM
    They have been doing this for a while. Ebook readers do this. Repligo, Docs2Go, various image viewers, etc can all pull data from the SD card and cache data there. Most programs don't operate that way due to the slow speed...
    Tell me, why is that? Why do some of those program like slacker, ebook readers, repligo, etc. do this then? If what u say is true, they should be installed and cache all their data on the onboard memory instead. So have u used any of those program like slacker, ebook readers, repligo etc. personally? Cuz I have and I used slacker everyday for the cached radio station and I can't tell it is slow or not. Makes no difference if it all their data were cached on sd card or not.

01-16-10 08:42 AM
    Tell me, why is that? Why do some of those program like slacker, ebook readers, repligo, etc. do this then? If what u say is true, they should be installed and cache all their data on the onboard memory instead. So have u used any of those program like slacker, ebook readers, repligo etc. personally? Cuz I have and I used slacker everyday for the cached radio station and I can't tell it is slow or not. Makes no difference if it all their data were cached on sd card or not.

Because playing media is a lot different than playing a game, or using an application.

you need alot less resources with media, than you do with apps. and slacker just uses "the face" as a templet to show the media you are listening to. And streaming the audio from the card, just as the native media players streams media from the micro SD card.

Last edited by mjneid; 01-16-10 at 08:52 AM.
    01-16-10 08:50 AM
    Didn't take long but this has run it's course.
    01-16-10 08:59 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD