Hi all,

I have scoured the net for answers and it has failed. So I return to the only place that got me through the first days as a new crackberry addict. My question is regarding the upcoming skype for blackberry.

Let's say i get it and i want to call my cousin on his nokia n71 which also has skype mobile...now i know i will use data or wifi but if his phone doesn't have a data plan (it's overseas) can he still pick up that call for free (skype-to-skype is free i read) or will it just cost him local minutes? Also if i text him and we both have skype thats free right?

Now my last question is what if i just get skype for my pc and he has it on his nokia. if i call skype pc to skype mobile is that considered free.

I realize these questions are complex and not exactly relevant until may. But i was hoping some tech savvy individuals who are familiar with skype or mobile skype on other devices will be able to field these inquiries.

I also know that ideally a skype forum/ help employee would be better suited for this stuff but have you been on the site? You can't even email a question and the forums i found unhelpful.

Thanks in advance for any help
    04-01-09 03:16 PM
    Until the product comes out there is no exact answer.

The quick answer is that some, or all, of the providers may or may not allow skype use under their data plans. It is likely that all that allow any skype use will allow it when using WiFi.

ATT apparently is not going to allow iPhone to use it on their data plan: the NY Times on 31Mar09 said regarding iPhone:

"There is one major restriction. Skype calls have to be made over Wi-Fi, not over the voice or data frequencies of the phone."

To answer some of your questions, it seems that if any skype member is connected in any way to the internet then they can talk to another skype member for free. If the outgoing BB party has a monthly unlimited plan to land-line (US/Canada or International), and the call is made through WiFi then the call is included.

If your relative receives your call through the land-line (or for that matter a wireless provider, meaning not an internet) connection then his/her local charges/plan apply.
    If your relative receives your call through the Wifi connection then his/her local charges/plan apply.

For those who do not know: skype.com is owned by ebay. It is a voice over internet protocol (VOIP) service that also has text messaging and limited IM.
    You can join for free.
    You can talk (through) PC: using PC headset or internet phone, to any other skype member for free.
    You can purchase credits for PC to land line (varies by country but is often about 2 1/2 cents US per minute). Usually you have to give a $10 deposit by credit card with an auto refill.
    You can also purchase unlimited PC to landline: US/Canada @2.95/month and international (many countries) @9.95/month.
    In the case of the new BB or iPhone service you will be able to use the service as if you were connected to the internet through a PC or internet phone.
    Service quality varies. Sometimes it is great and sometimes you get cut off or echos. The service has improved during the past year.
    You can also get video to video. Unless both parties have fast broadband then signal and voice is not good.
    Last edited by mandony; 04-01-09 at 03:56 PM.
    04-01-09 03:33 PM
    Update from cnet.com

You'll be able to call other Skype users for free, and can initiate calls to landlines and mobile phones using Skype Out credit. You'll also be able to receive inbound calls to your online Skype number. Instant messenger and SMS features will also stay intact, but features like voicemail and file transferring, which are also available on other platforms, will be delayed on BlackBerry for the time being. Also, unlike the iPhone version just released, you won't need Wi-Fi to connect to Skype. Skype Lite will work over your BlackBerry's data plan, so long as you have a calling plan.

If the cnet is true: for the $3/month US/Canada and $10/worldwide, with an unlimited data plan you will have unlimited BB to land line service.
    This essentially means that all you have to do is purchase a low minute voice plan.
    Have your friends call your skype-in number so that you do not get charged for the incoming calls too.
    Last edited by mandony; 04-01-09 at 07:01 PM.
    04-01-09 06:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD