1. marfaboy's Avatar
    A couple of days ago I downloaded the Google Mobile app - the d/l went flawlessly, and, of course, I pulled the battery afterward, and then re-sent my service books, just for good measure.

    At first I was delighted - what a cool application! But then, problems started....after several hours, the app would no longer connect (message: "Google Mobile Application Unable to Make Connection"), which was odd. So, I pulled the battery, and then was able to connect once again.

    For a while.....I pulled the battery several times, and same story. Then, my wifi connection started to become intermittant. Battery pull, battery pull, battery pull. Then my BBWeather would no longer connect....more battery pulls, but no Google Mobile App, and no BBWeather, and, worst of all, no wifi.

    So, I gave up - I've had my 8900 since April with no problems whatsoever, and don't like issues with my BlackBerry, so last night I just removed the Google Mobile App and all its peripherals using Desktop Manager.

    Problems solved....steady wifi connection once again, and BBWeather is working. Does anybody else have any similar Tales of Woe using the Google app?
    07-24-09 10:11 AM
  2. BerryMedic20's Avatar
    I've had the same problem, but not consistently. For some reason, it sometimes generates that "Cannot Connect" message, but I can't figure out why. Like you said, usually I have a strong enough connection to do more data intensive things than a quick google search. Clearly a flaw in the app.
    07-24-09 10:14 AM
  3. marfaboy's Avatar
    Yeah, it was kind of embaressing for me, because I was having a conversation with my co-workers, debating the iPhone vs. BlackBerry. One of the guys with an iPhone was showing us how he could search for restaurants, clubs etc., get their phone numbers and maps, blah, blah, and I said "hey, the BlackBerry does that, too, and just as well". So, I opened up the Google Mobile app to prove it, and naturally I got the "could not connect" message.

    07-24-09 10:25 AM