I bought the new Blackberry Tour (9630) but now when try to access NYT via its app, it gives me this error message:

"The protocol specified is not supported by the handheld. Please try a different URL".

I contacted Verizon and Blackberry but they couldn't solve the issue.

How can I fix this issue?

Thank you in advance for your suggestion.
    07-13-09 05:19 PM
    Having the same issue. Will try to install the NYT mobile link again late next week. Hopefully it will be fixed by then.
    07-17-09 06:02 PM
    Posted a similar post a few days ago...having the same problem with the ESPN and CNN shortcut apps as well.
    07-17-09 06:32 PM
    try putting http:// before www.

it should work (it did for us)
    07-23-09 01:11 AM
    It's because the NY Times is worthless and the Tour knows it. It's just trying to save you from wasting your time.
    07-23-09 02:57 AM
    Although I can get the mobile times working directly through the browser, I can't get the version that is directly accessible using the Times Icon working either.
    07-24-09 09:39 AM
    I am having the same problem with several of my downloaded shortcuts.
    (Npr, STL Cardinals)
    I tried uninstalling and re-downloading. This did not work.

try putting http:// before www.

it should work (it did for us)
    How would you do this, I can't figure out how to get to the actual shortcut and modify it.

Thanks!
    07-26-09 06:49 PM
    This is a known issue for shortcut apps like nyt and cnn - be patient, updates will come...in the meantime, I use the left conv. key for the browser...press it twice and your bookmarks/history load immediately, scroll down to NYT and you're there in seconds...no need for the shortcut apps really...kinda pointless. When I did have it installed I always forgot to use it because the conv. key was...well, convenient! Ha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-09 06:53 PM
    The NY Times shortcut is working now. I didn't do anything to my Tour, so the Times must have. You may just have to download it again.

I never had a problem with CNN, that's always worked for me.
    08-01-09 08:40 AM
    I dl'd it, works over here...
    08-01-09 09:15 AM
    i launced it ok this morning and when i tried to exit, it froze my Tour. had to do a battery pull
    08-01-09 09:25 AM
    Have any of you guys noticed that the NY Times app now appears on the list of permanently running apps? (hold the menu key, and you'll see it alongside contacts, home, browser etc)
    08-06-09 09:50 PM
    I hate to post the dumb question here but where are you guys finding the NYTimes shortcut? I see the OTA App link but that doesn't seem to be working. Thanks
    08-06-09 10:34 PM
    Both the NY Times and the Boston Globe appear as permanently running apps since I upgraded them today. What I joke. I've archived them, but if this isn't resolved I'll just delete them.
    08-13-09 03:17 PM
    You need to remove them from the browser-they should be underneath your bookmarks in the "channels" section.

Both the NY Times and the Boston Globe appear as permanently running apps since I upgraded them today. What I joke. I've archived them, but if this isn't resolved I'll just delete them.
    08-13-09 03:49 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, mconk, but no luck. I don't have either bookmarked. In fact, of the dozen or so apps I downloaded thru App World, these are the only 2 that run in the background even after I've exited from them individually. Any other suggestions?
    08-13-09 05:14 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion, mconk, but no luck. I don't have either bookmarked. In fact, of the dozen or so apps I downloaded thru App World, these are the only 2 that run in the background even after I've exited from them individually. Any other suggestions?
    I'd like to know the answer to this, too, if anyone has any idea.
    09-19-09 01:16 PM
    Mobile.nytimes.com

Though it may require a few thumb movements, I'm sure you can spare the energy to type that up and bookmark it

Enjoy the fix

09-19-09 05:23 PM
    Mobile.nytimes.com

Though it may require a few thumb movements, I'm sure you can spare the energy to type that up and bookmark it

Enjoy the fix

While I appreciate your comment, of course I would have done this if I wanted to go into my browser first and then choose the bookmark. The whole point of having a launcher is to avoid that. If other launchers completely close out, why won't the NY Times one? That's the question that we have, and that's what we want to figure out. Maybe we are CrackBerry newbies; that doesn't mean we are BlackBerry newbies.
    09-19-09 07:59 PM
    My NYT icon worked with no problem before I updated to OS 5.0. Now when I try to use it I get the error message others have received. I tried deleting and downloading the shortcut again but got the same result.

Strangely, when I visit the site through the browser, it works but pressing on an article link does not light up like any other icon or link on my Storm 1.

I hope there's an update coming.
    10-28-09 04:21 PM
    Because the NYT devs are lazy. Make this easy for yourself-set your left convenience key to open the bb browser - then set your bb browser start page to the "start page" which displays your bookmarks, a google search, and your history. That'll give you two-clock access to the nytimes...which is what you'd need to do anyway, if the nyt launcher wasn't on your very first 5 apps on the home screen.

While I appreciate your comment, of course I would have done this if I wanted to go into my browser first and then choose the bookmark. The whole point of having a launcher is to avoid that. If other launchers completely close out, why won't the NY Times one? That's the question that we have, and that's what we want to figure out. Maybe we are CrackBerry newbies; that doesn't mean we are BlackBerry newbies.
    10-29-09 08:56 AM
    The NY Times app works fine for me, but I do wonder about memory issues: Can I get it to NOT run in the background all the time, and where do those articles supposedly downloaded for offline reading being stored - and how long are they there?
    11-25-09 08:36 AM
    Are you talking about the app, or the web shortcut?

The NY Times app works fine for me, but I do wonder about memory issues: Can I get it to NOT run in the background all the time, and where do those articles supposedly downloaded for offline reading being stored - and how long are they there?
    11-26-09 05:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD