I find it a little odd that the iPhone has over 70,000 apps in its app store while Android phones have 10,000 apps in their app stores while BlackBerry only has 2,000 apps in its app store. Little dissapointed since that's the selling point of the iPhone really. People get it because of the app store so I was wondering when the apps for BlackBerry App World are going to pump out?

Here's an interesting article from the New York Times that state that making apps for BlackBerry smart phones are about 30-40% harder to make than iPhone apps. That goes for both functionality and visuals.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/te...ref=technology

I believe it's because the tools to make BlackBerry apps better aren't available yet so once those are out then I believe that apps can start more fluidly coming into the App World. Any thoughts on this?
    10-17-09 12:33 PM
    Well, if RIM would flip the switch for OpenGL, we would see more, better looking apps. Until then,............
    10-17-09 12:37 PM
    From what I've heard its a security issue that RIM has. I was reading something where they said that if they gave developers the tools to make more apps, it would risk the security features that bbs are known for. I'm not sure how but they need to get it together.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-09 12:39 PM
    RIM acknowledged they were working developing tools for app makers to help developers. I always smile when I hear these numbers...70,000, 10,000, 2000 apps. How many apps do most people put on their phones? Maybe 10-20? So out of those 70,000 apps, how many are really GOOD or necessary? I guess iPhone users need those apps to play games with since they can't make complete calls on AT&T's network.
    10-17-09 12:43 PM
    Nice find. Very interesting. Like what the article said, I think RIM is gonna do some *** whooping in November. Hopefully that means official releases of OS 5.0, and some new developer tools for apps. Of course, we know new phones are coming out in November. =)
    10-17-09 12:43 PM
    RIM acknowledged they were working developing tools for app makers to help developers. I always smile when I hear these numbers...70,000, 10,000, 2000 apps. How many apps do most people put on their phones? Maybe 10-20? So out of those 70,000 apps, how many are really GOOD or necessary? I guess iPhone users need those apps to play games with since they can't make complete calls on AT&T's network.
    There's a map for that!

10-17-09 12:47 PM
    Plus how many of those are the same app (does the same thing but different name)

10-17-09 12:47 PM
    There are some major gaps in the BB application lineup -- starting with VOIP. It's definitely a problem. The VOIP issue is the one major thing holding me back right now from BB as I weigh smartphones. If someone could show me convincing evidence that Skype for BB is imminent, I'd go for it.

The issue with RIM APIs has been mentioned elsewhere in the forums. Not only would a proper API make it easier for developers but the slicker and more consistent design would be nicer for customers too.
    10-17-09 01:11 PM
    apple has 100 usefull apps , android , 200 , blackberry rufly 1999
    10-17-09 01:13 PM
    SMH. Is that so. Do you seriously believe what you just wrote or are you following what seems to be a growing trend; the iPhone isn't what it is by mistake and as far as AT&T's network, any person with sense knows service depends on where you are on ANY network. But carry on...
    10-17-09 01:14 PM
    70,000 apps? How many of those are really used though? I saw a commercial for an Iphone app that tells me what bird I'm hearing.... not the type of app I'm looking for but if its your cup of tea then more power to ya....
    10-17-09 01:20 PM
    70,000 apps? How many of those are really used though? I saw a commercial for an Iphone app that tells me what bird I'm hearing.... not the type of app I'm looking for but if its your cup of tea then more power to ya....
    And that's the thing, I would never use anywhere near the amount of apps any if these phones have available, but they ARE being used by other people all over.
    10-17-09 01:52 PM
    70k apps and around 10 of those are useful...well thats what i say to my apple loving friends...gets right up there noses about it.

I have the ipod touch...i can put apps on it no problemo...ive looked at alot of apps...out of the ones ive looked at...ive only got 3 lol...go figure...i mean what next an app for wiping your ***??

Now with my BB...ive got over 20+ apps and all of them are mostly used at some point because the apps add functionality to my BB whereas most of the iphone apps dont add any functionality whatsoever.
    10-17-09 01:53 PM
    Well OS 5.0 being released with the Storm2 should open up a new chapter for RIM. They know what people are looking for when it comes to a smartphone now rather than just security and basic needs so when OS 5.0 comes out I'm expecting some great things out of RIM.

That is if they don't flop again like they did with the first gen Storm of course lol
    10-17-09 02:09 PM
    Yeah the other thing peeps have to realize is that not all apps are in the Blackberry App World. Mobihand(Crackberry App store) has a very good amount of apps that are not in App World, and I would dare to say the more useful apps lie there as well. Also for android people say one of its drawbacks could very well be its "Open source" platform in that developers have to develop multiple versions of their software because each phone manufacturer can add or delete what ever components they wish. This can become a pain, and there have been a few who tried a similar platform and failed but of course didn't have Google backing them. Just saying I can see how open source could be a problem, especially if the manufacturers really start making these phones their own.
    10-17-09 09:36 PM
    apple has 100 usefull apps , android , 200 , blackberry rufly 1999
    Nonsense. Apple and Android have loads of great apps that we could only wish to have. And for free. I'd say well over 50% of BB apps are memory eating, laggy, and lacking. The Java OS does not allow us to compete with other devices and if you think otherwise you are seriously mistaken.

BB's aren't designed for these apps and that is why BB hasn't been in a hurry to correct it. BB is a "business" device. BB is finally realizing that other phones are starting to move in on their market and they need to spread their wings.

It is that simple. If you honestly think every BB app is good I can roll a list of useless and disappointing apps so long you won't even know.
    10-17-09 10:44 PM
    More flexibility is almost always better. I do agree that in terms of Apps iPhone really beats BB. Think about it. Although sometimes more options will make life harder, overall it makes us closer to what we really want/need.
    10-17-09 10:59 PM
    Nonsense. Apple and Android have loads of great apps that we could only wish to have. And for free. I'd say well over 50% of BB apps are memory eating, laggy, and lacking. The Java OS does not allow us to compete with other devices and if you think otherwise you are seriously mistaken.

BB's aren't designed for these apps and that is why BB hasn't been in a hurry to correct it. BB is a "business" device. BB is finally realizing that other phones are starting to move in on their market and they need to spread their wings.

It is that simple. If you honestly think every BB app is good I can roll a list of useless and disappointing apps so long you won't even know.
    amen! These days a cool phone with an excellent GUI will only take you so far. Success in the smart phone market these days and in the future will absolutely depend on the development of apps.
    10-17-09 11:14 PM
    Im just going to be real with you. These are the apps in our appworld

Featured Apps for BB

WHERE
    Free
    GPS locator for restaurants,gas, movies and more

7digital Music Store
    Free
    Download mp3

BBM
    Free

Salesforce Mobile
    Get instant, answhere access to salesforce
    Free

Orgrain Trail for gods sakes. Everyone loves that

Sudoku Popular game

Face Life
    Distort and send photos right from your phone
    2.99 (bbs can be fun too see)

Nobex radio companion
    Free

Hippo mobile
    sends post cards
    FREE

TIME new and blogs
    FREE

Poynt
    Find places near you
    FREE

Acttion pad
    memo encryption
    useful app not fart app

Globovision Movil
    Breaking news and videos
    FREE

Vlingo
    FREE
    Do everything without typing!

Call time tracker by momentum
    FREE

Food network
    FREE

not poke the cow and make his fat jiggle apps.

or shake the phone to feed the fish apps....actually that app is bad ssa
    10-17-09 11:17 PM
    i have over 64,000 apps on my iphone. check out their latest ad featuring even more useful apps:

10-18-09 12:23 AM
    this might be what most of you were referring to though:

nonetheless, when iphone hits verizon—whenever that may be—i'm getting one.
    10-18-09 12:32 AM
    I would rather have 10 quality apps then a choice of 76,000,000. Not saying that all BB apps are quality and all iphone apps are useless... but you guys get the point. The iphone has fun, time-wasting apps mostly with some quality useful ones. If you dont agree with this you need to browse the apple app store.

I like where BB is going with widgets and themes. I think a couple good widgets and some good apps, and you will have a BB that is as useful and versatile as any out there.
    10-18-09 01:01 AM
    Last time I checked, the app store has a few thousand free themes for the iphone

10-18-09 01:07 AM
    I would rather have 10 quality apps then a choice of 76,000,000. Not saying that all BB apps are quality and all iphone apps are useless... but you guys get the point. The iphone has fun, time-wasting apps mostly with some quality useful ones. If you dont agree with this you need to browse the apple app store.

I like where BB is going with widgets and themes. I think a couple good widgets and some good apps, and you will have a BB that is as useful and versatile as any out there.
    i've browsed the app store, and i disagree. even if there is only 1 useful app for every 2 useless apps, that still equates to about 25,000 useful apps, and BB has only a couple thousand total? and i've browse the bb app store as well, which didn't take long, and there are definitely useless, crappy apps to be found—some of which are even paid apps. the thing about the iphone app store is that, out of the 75k+ apps, i can decide which apps are useful to me and which apps are not instead of being limited to so few apps such as on the BB app store. for every app on the BB app store, there are probably two, or three even better apps on the apple app store.
    Last edited by jamestrenda; 10-18-09 at 01:15 AM.
    10-18-09 01:09 AM
    And 5,000 of those are fart apps.
    10-18-09 01:44 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD