I'm looking for an instant messaging application that uses the existing data plan instead of SMS, as I do not have unlimited texts. I know that BeeJive does an amazing job and uses data, because I've already used up my free trial. I'm looking for a free alternative though. Does anybody know of any IM apps that support AIM and only utilize data? I've heard of Fuze Messenger, but really can't find a clear answer on google whether or not that uses SMS or Data. I am on AT&T by the way. Thanks!
    01-10-10 09:11 PM
    If you can afford a blackberry you can afford a 1 time fee of $15 for a app to help their servers.
    01-10-10 09:14 PM
    I'm using Fuze Messenger and I'm pretty sure it's using whatever connection you're on (wifi, EDGE, etc). The messages you receive show within the app and not in your SMS inbox. I find that pointless if it did because there's a feature on AIM that let you use AIM through SMS anyway.
    01-10-10 09:33 PM
    If you can afford a blackberry you can afford a 1 time fee of $15 for a app to help their servers.
    Wow, did somebody **** in your cornflakes this morning boy? Now crawl back in your hole grab your ****** and try to cheer up.

Oh well, here are some apps in blackberry app world. IM and SMS are two different things so most any IM app on a Blackberry will use data and not SMS.
    01-10-10 09:38 PM
    And for each IM sent through Fuze, you are not charged for SMS on your bill?
    01-10-10 09:38 PM
    Wow, did somebody **** in your cornflakes this morning boy? Now crawl back in your hole grab your ****** and try to cheer up.

Oh well, here are some apps in blackberry app world. IM and SMS are two different things so most any IM app on a Blackberry will use data and not SMS.
    Thanks so much! I also just realized that Nimbuzz is free
    01-10-10 09:57 PM
    And for each IM sent through Fuze, you are not charged for SMS on your bill?
    I highly doubt you'd be charged for SMS. If you're still skeptic, try installing an IM app and then send/receive a message. Then dial #646# to check how many SMS messages have been sent/received for that month.
    01-10-10 10:22 PM
    Totally uncalled for!!! Sometimes these phones are given as gifts too!!!
    01-11-10 04:09 AM
    01-11-10 04:22 AM
    Instant Messengers do not use SMS. You can use whichever one you'd like - Yahoo, AIM, GoogleTalk, Windows Live, ICQ, etc. Heck you can install and use all of 'em.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-10 04:23 AM
    I use Palringo and it is free as well.
    01-11-10 07:05 AM
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the IM apps get charged against your minutes not data (at least the ones bundled with the OS). I have never gotten a satisfactory answer to this both here in the forums, and from TMO. I would love a data only IM client, so I can IM people at their computers or who don't use Blackberry's.
    01-11-10 07:27 AM
    I read some do and some don't. I'm not 100% sure. I think it might be for the ones you have those IM services on their phone already that get charged against SMS. I use Palringo because I need all the IM services and I know for a fact it only uses data on my bills.
    01-11-10 07:35 AM
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the IM apps get charged against your minutes not data (at least the ones bundled with the OS). I have never gotten a satisfactory answer to this both here in the forums, and from TMO. I would love a data only IM client, so I can IM people at their computers or who don't use Blackberry's.

IM clients use data. They do not use SMS or minutes. IT is just pure data usage.
    01-11-10 07:41 AM
    Consider this a correction, because you are wrong. IM is data. Period.

01-11-10 07:41 AM
    I have used AIM, Google Talk and Yahoo and they all use data.
    01-11-10 08:01 AM
    I actually bought BeeJive because I never actually found a free version that was even compareable. For $30, you get the app and unlimited updates and device transfers. I bought version 1.1.1 and just recently upgraded to 2.0.2 and I didn't have to pay a penny. This app is amazing and keeps getting better. Plus, it works over Wi-Fi only for those who don't even have data.

01-12-10 09:21 AM
    Totally uncalled for!!! Sometimes these phones are given as gifts too!!!
    I believe he was talking about the monthly fee...
    01-12-10 11:07 AM
    Thanks for all of the help! I just installed Fuze Messenger, and I love it! People are giving it negative reviews because of how seemingly ugly the UI is, but I find it to do the job perfectly well and efficiently. Of course its not going to be the same quality as BeeJive, but it performs very well over 3G, Edge, and WiFi. Thanks again!
    01-12-10 08:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD