When you install and uninstall programs on a Windows based computer, often some of the program remains behind gumming up the machine, and the registry is still altered from what it was before the program was installed.

Is the same type of thing true on my Blackberry 9700? If I install and uninstall apps, will this slow down and generally hinder the Blackberry over time?

Thanks.
    10-02-10 05:02 PM
    Don't know for certain, but I have never seen any deterioration after removing apps. That goes for the 9700 and my old 8320.
    10-02-10 05:06 PM
    If you have a memory card, there is a small bit of info in Blackberry\App World\downloads

if you do an uninstall followed by a battery pull there should be no traces left.

Now when loading/upgrading OSs its a different issue. I always recommend a WIPE and then load the upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-10 05:08 PM
    The blackberry doesn't use a registry. it mainly uses a JVM, in which, everything installed within it is well organized. Not a programmer, but that is what I know.

If you're going to upgrade the OS to another later release, use BBSAK. It's a life saver

Also, this is best for windows computers: http://www.ccleaner.com/ you'll never need another registry or "junk" cleaner, it does everything and it's free. Why pay for something that would normally do the same thing or nothing at all? lol (when you install it, UNCHECK the yahoo toolbar option, you don't need it unless you're an all-yahoo user)

Last edited by Rootbrian; 10-02-10 at 05:33 PM.
    10-02-10 05:31 PM
    I agree with Brian, Ccleaner (or crap cleaner which is what it actually stands for) is a brilliant chunk of free software to keep your Windows PC tidy.

Sorry, I spose this shouldn't be in this forum.
    10-02-10 05:54 PM
    When you install and uninstall programs on a Windows based computer, often some of the program remains behind gumming up the machine, and the registry is still altered from what it was before the program was installed.

Is the same type of thing true on my Blackberry 9700? If I install and uninstall apps, will this slow down and generally hinder the Blackberry over time?

Thanks.
    Nope.
    As stated earlier, there may be some leftover info on the sdcard, but I haven't run into that much.
    When app loader is run to load a new OS, it wipes the old OS before loading, so its not necessary to manually wipe the device. I still wipe the old OS myself though

10-02-10 06:26 PM
    Thanks guys. Good to hear that there are no/little lingering effects. I'd like to try a variety of things, but want stability and consistency more than anything else.

Addressing the side note of the post, I too find CCleaner to be very good freeware for the purpose of keeping a Windows based computer clean and stable.
    10-03-10 08:17 AM
    I've always found it to be beneficial to the device to delete apps via Desktop Manager/App Loader.
    10-03-10 09:41 AM
    Get the memory up lite its free and takes care of leaks. I am not sure if this is exactly what you meant though.
    10-03-10 01:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD