Hey guys.

Yesterday i installed an app from Dictionary.com called Dictionary. i already had it installed but wanted to perform an update cause u cannot copy and paste the corectly spelled word directly into wherever u originally mispelled it. Anyway i performed an update, Bold asked me to reboot, now the phone boots half way, then restarts...over and over and over and over. Im back down to my Pearl :x

Is there any way to salvage this situation without me having to erase and reinstall everything from scratch? Is there a"safe mode" i can boot into on the phone and manually remove the app cause i have a feeling thats what's causing the reboots.

thanx guys.

02-18-10 12:24 PM
    ughh that doesn't sound good at all. I mean I guess you could try hooking it up to your computer and wiping it clean and reinstalling the OS. Which OS are you currently running on the Bold?
    02-18-10 01:45 PM
    There is a safe mode on 5.0 you get it by holding down the escape arrow during boot up.

There could be a bad media file on your card also. Remove the media card if you have one and reboot. If that doesn't work, plug in your BlackBerry,run desktop manager and remove the dictionary program. I don't think you'll have to wipe it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-10 01:59 PM
    Don't pull the battery yet. Read this first:
    552 error!

If that doesn't work, you will need to reinstall the OS.

How to Recover a Nuked BB

02-18-10 02:36 PM
    This happened to me back in December. Couldn't even get so far as being able to put it in safe mode to do an OS wipe though; Just kept restarting. You may have to call up your provider and swap it out for a new one.
    02-18-10 03:22 PM
    Hey fellas...
    thanx for all the replies.

Well, i was using the 5.0.0.464 official (after a strange update from the .464 beta where it replaced three .cod files and that was the update).

had no idea about the safe mode and needed the phone asap kinda deal so...had to reinstall the OS.
    Lost all my 24 apps that i had installed but honestly i can only recall 7 of them, lol so my bold is running much faster now.
    Im also having the pleasure of using a fresh install on my Bold which i've never had so...my bold is kinda...uber fast(er), lol.

Thanks for ur input fellas. Much appreciated.
    02-19-10 04:07 AM
    Glad to hear that everything is working despite having to do a wipe and reinstall. Hopefully this will get you into the habit of making backups of everything including your 3rd party apps in case something ever happens. I'm way OCD with this stuff and I make a backup of my 3rd party apps whenever I install something new (although that's almost never), but I do a standard backup once a month or more.

Chris
    02-19-10 04:23 AM
    You can backup third party apps "uber" easy with this:

BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife (BBsak)

02-19-10 01:55 PM
    i had no idea u can back up ur third party app. *do'h*
    that would come in handy now that i cant download my amazon app from amazon. Tells me my device is not supported??? I got around this once before but i cant remember how.

thanx guys for all the info. Good stuff.
    02-20-10 03:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD