Hi guys, I'm using my 8300 without a data plan right now. It's the same plan(continued) from my old phone. Just unlimited texting and 300 minutes. On my old Nokia, I was able to stay signed into AIM all the time, and not be charged for data usage. Are there any apps for the BB that allow instant messaging, but don't use data?
    07-27-09 06:28 PM
    Hi guys, I'm using my 8300 without a data plan right now. It's the same plan(continued) from my old phone. Just unlimited texting and 300 minutes. On my old Nokia, I was able to stay signed into AIM all the time, and not be charged for data usage. Are there any apps for the BB that allow instant messaging, but don't use data?
    not that i know of, but i'm probably wrong.
    i just have aim/msn apps, but i am pretty sure they use data.
    :/
    07-27-09 06:30 PM
    I bought my Curve unlocked, so it didn't have any major IM apps besides BBM. Wonder if I could maybe flash it to T-Mobile firmware...?
    07-27-09 06:37 PM
    That is because AIM on Nokia sends and receives messages by SMS and you are charged an SMS message everytime you send a message. I have tested BeeJive with a generic data plan and with it on all day the BB used about 16 minutes of data airtime an hour. Still would add up fast and eat up too much time for you. If you have an 8320 Beejive can use WiFi but you would need to do something to make sure the TCP connection with GPRS is not used.
    07-27-09 08:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD