With very little fanfare, Clear Channel has finally released a version of their "iheartradio" app for BlackBerries. Supported devices include the Pearl, Curve, and Bold. I'm assuming 88xx devices also work although I haven't tried it yet. The Storm version is apparently coming soon.

I've tried this out on my Bold via WiFi, 3G, and EDGE. All worked great! It has over 150 different radio streams across every major and mid-major market. The app allows you to search by genre or location, has a Favorites list, and starts streaming almost immediately.

Since Clear Channel token-izes their internet streams, there is no easy way to add these stations to Orb. This little app solves that very problem.

Visit www.iheartradio.com on your BB to download it.
    03-14-09 10:59 PM
    Pretty cool. Works on my Bold. Thanks for the info!
    03-14-09 11:04 PM
    Awesome I can't wait to check it out...thnx for the link!
    03-14-09 11:11 PM
    Pretty nice app!..I wish Berrytunes would dress up their user interface like iheart.

Good
    Great user interface ,Channel selection is ok , fast stream and free

Bad
    You cant add your own channels and icon is freaking ugly.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 03-14-09 at 11:56 PM.
    03-14-09 11:48 PM
    Disturbing.

One thing to consider when creating an application for BlackBerry devices that a lot of developers fail to realize, is that you are developing applications on a device created and for the most part, manufactured in Canada and to cut off your Canadian users from usage, especially in an application like this one considering FlyCast works in Canada is just insane and makes NO sense.

Great looking application, Nice looking and functioning UI. Sadly, no use to me, due to the fact it's only available to US listeners.

Is iheartradio available in my area?
    iheartradio is available to customers in the United States with cell phone coverage or access to a Wi-Fi network
    Loaded it on my Bold, just to see...same thing as Slacker, just sits there and buffers, never actually streaming anything. Flycast it is.
    03-14-09 11:58 PM
    Oh I forgot , It also has gps feature to pull up local stations from your location.
    Last edited by Slingbox; 03-15-09 at 12:57 AM.
    03-15-09 12:35 AM
    Disturbing.

One thing to consider when creating an application for BlackBerry devices that a lot of developers fail to realize, is that you are developing applications on a device created and for the most part, manufactured in Canada and to cut off your Canadian users from usage, especially in an application like this one considering FlyCast works in Canada is just insane and makes NO sense.

Great looking application, Nice looking and functioning UI. Sadly, no use to me, due to the fact it's only available to US listeners.

Loaded it on my Bold, just to see...same thing as Slacker, just sits there and buffers, never actually streaming anything. Flycast it is.
    That really sucks. I'm guessing CC's reason for no streaming in Canada is the same as Slacker's -- licensing agreements with artists and/or advertisers. Sometimes the most ridiculous legal decisions trump perfectly great technology implementations.

The crappy part of it all is that CC puts a death date on their MMS streams. This prevents me from permanently adding them to Orb. I'm guessing, again, that this is done for some dumb legal reason. I guess Cumulus and the other big US groups got around it somehow (although I admittedly haven't tried them in Canada).
    03-15-09 01:53 AM
    That really sucks. I'm guessing CC's reason for no streaming in Canada is the same as Slacker's -- licensing agreements with artists and/or advertisers. Sometimes the most ridiculous legal decisions trump perfectly great technology implementations.

The crappy part of it all is that CC puts a death date on their MMS streams. This prevents me from permanently adding them to Orb. I'm guessing, again, that this is done for some dumb legal reason. I guess Cumulus and the other big US groups got around it somehow (although I admittedly haven't tried them in Canada).
    Ya, funny thing about is that it ALMOST works over WiFi, it'll play for a few mins then just dies.
    03-15-09 06:31 AM
    Works great. What I found funny is the fact that the ota version actually plays the music ahead of the live radio. Only downside is they don't have 104.7 so I can't listen to my hate radio when I'm out of the pgh area

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 06:36 AM
    Does anyone have a direct OTA link I would like to try the pearl version on my storm and see if it works in compatibility mode.

03-15-09 07:15 AM
    Hmm I just visited iheartradio and it told me my device wasn't compatable. I'm on a curve. I'll try again when I get to my pc.

03-15-09 07:27 AM
    It worked fine for me on my curve 8330

03-15-09 07:44 AM
    http://cdn.ccomrcdn.com/cc-common/de...heartradio.jad

Is the version that worked on my Bold, kinda..

I'm not saying it does not work, I'm just saying officially Storm is not a supported device nor does (from my usage) it work as it should in Canada.
    03-15-09 08:06 AM
    I've been hearing Leo Laporte mention this app for some time now, so I was anxious to try it out. I just downloaded it and was up and running in about a minute on my Bold. Very nice! I only tried one local station (KFI), but it seems the audio quality is fine. Should be a useful app.
    03-15-09 09:15 AM
    Works great on my Storm

03-15-09 01:07 PM
    www.iheartradio.com tells me iheart radio is not compatable with my blackberry at this time. However this ota link http://cdn.ccomrcdn.com/cc-common/device_apps/blackberry/iheartradio.jad works! Good app!

03-15-09 01:20 PM
    Hmm I just visited iheartradio and it told me my device wasn't compatable.
    I had the same experience with my 8820. Oh well...
    03-15-09 01:34 PM
    With very little fanfare, Clear Channel has finally released a version of their "iheartradio" app for BlackBerries. Supported devices include the Pearl, Curve, and Bold. I'm assuming 88xx devices also work although I haven't tried it yet. The Storm version is apparently coming soon.

I've tried this out on my Bold via WiFi, 3G, and EDGE. All worked great! It has over 150 different radio streams across every major and mid-major market. The app allows you to search by genre or location, has a Favorites list, and starts streaming almost immediately.

Since Clear Channel token-izes their internet streams, there is no easy way to add these stations to Orb. This little app solves that very problem.

Visit www.iheartradio.com on your BB to download it.
    Thanks for the share. I will check this out later. I am sad the Canucks can not have a go with it however or other countries for that matter. I hope that is only temporary.
    03-15-09 01:38 PM
    I hope since clear channel owns stations all over the world the application will add stations.

With that said, great application!

03-15-09 02:08 PM
    I had the same experience with my 8820. Oh well...
    Maybe try the link above that points directly to the OTA link. My wife will have an 8820 later this week and I'll give it a shot then.
    03-15-09 03:10 PM
    Great app .... I downloaded it for 97.1 in new york aka hot 97.... And it dosent have it.... WEAK

03-15-09 07:26 PM
    Great app! There are a few user features missing but this is a great start! I hope one day it will the artist and perhaps the recent playlist. I also could not get the app to determine my location by GPS. Anyway, I like it.
    03-15-09 08:02 PM
    Works great on my Curve 8330. 750+ streaming stations from all around the country. This is a WOW! app.
    03-15-09 08:35 PM
    Works great on my Storm

Not so much. Guess you love trying to use your screen as a trackball...it's kinda confusing. There's a Storm version in the works that I hope is much like the iheartradio app on the iPhone...
    03-15-09 10:09 PM
    Can anyone compare it to Slacker? I have long despised Clear Channel for ruining the music industry by squashing anything independent, original, and (gasp) reginional, and spoon-feeding consumers the same boring tripe that's available everywhere.

In this particular case I don't think my argument is particularly relevant, and I am curious how this app stacks up to Slacker. So far Slacker's working pretty well for me, so quality of selection is going to be what ultimately decides which app stays on my phone. Perhaps I'll give this one a shot soon.
    03-15-09 10:48 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD