RIM would grow significantly.

Would you be more interested in using "live BBMing" from your phone to a friend that is typing from a computer, if possible?

Now with the upcoming BBM you have avatars, status, what I'm listening to, etc... If they can just push it a little bit further I"m sure they can take over facebook, and I would love for it to happen. Wouldn't you?
    07-23-09 12:07 PM
    But that would require everyone to have a blackberry in order to get bbm. Lots of people don't have a BB, so why would bbm kill facebook?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-09 01:00 PM
    Look into myblackberry
    Apparently they are running with the idea already, so I hear.
    07-23-09 01:16 PM
    All they are trying to do is coming out with a client that you can run on your computer like AIM and Yahoo. Just like you can instant message from AIM and YIM on your phone and computer, RIM wants to have BBM on the computer. Not even comparable to facebook. Just so you can chat with your buddies either way. I think it would be cool, but at the end of the day, messaging on the blackberry is much more fun lol. I have all the clients on my phone so I don't have to go to the computer. But hey...
    07-23-09 01:49 PM
    BBM and Facebook are two completely different things. BBM is just a pure messaging app. You can't create event pages, upload and host pictures/video's to it, leave posts publicly for anyone to comment, etc. etc. etc.
    07-23-09 01:59 PM
    BBM and Facebook are two completely different things. BBM is just a pure messaging app. You can't create event pages, upload and host pictures/video's to it, leave posts publicly for anyone to comment, etc. etc. etc.
    Its true, but they are moving into adding a lot more stuff into their BBM. Now that you have a profile pic, status updates, etc... I'm sure it'll become a facebook type of deal but more focussed on the messaging part. I really think that would be a great move on their side. Why? Because almost everyone updates their facebook status through their phones.

I'm telling you, blackberry messaging is getting huge outside of the US right now, its about to blow up. I've hear from all of my friends outside the US that they are buying their blackberries JUST for the messenger. Half of them don't even set up e-mail accounts for business in them. That should tell us how big it will be within a year.

Take NEXTEL as an example. You were able to talk through the radio only with a few people at first because nobody had NEXTEL, and then at some point, everyone had their cellphones and a NEXTEL too.

I'm just saying it would be a great idea and a lot of revenue will be generated if that's the case.

My 2 cents.
    07-23-09 02:12 PM
    But that would require everyone to have a blackberry in order to get bbm. Lots of people don't have a BB, so why would bbm kill facebook?

It would be like the NEXTEL effect (its already happening just for the BBM app).
    07-23-09 02:13 PM
    Yeah, how's that working for nextel now? It's so bad now they can only market it for deliver or construction workers.
    I'm not saying NEXTEL is doing great or that is great. All I'm saying is, because people had that "cool feature" (push to talk) everyone bought a Nextel.

Nextel sucks, but if RIM puts some work into it and make it work properly, they will do fine.

Nobody uses Nextel anymore because it SUX and they did absolutely nothing to make it better.
    07-23-09 03:49 PM
    Its true, but they are moving into adding a lot more stuff into their BBM. Now that you have a profile pic, status updates, etc... I'm sure it'll become a facebook type of deal but more focussed on the messaging part. I really think that would be a great move on their side. Why? Because almost everyone updates their facebook status through their phones.

I'm telling you, blackberry messaging is getting huge outside of the US right now, its about to blow up. I've hear from all of my friends outside the US that they are buying their blackberries JUST for the messenger. Half of them don't even set up e-mail accounts for business in them. That should tell us how big it will be within a year.

Take NEXTEL as an example. You were able to talk through the radio only with a few people at first because nobody had NEXTEL, and then at some point, everyone had their cellphones and a NEXTEL too.

I'm just saying it would be a great idea and a lot of revenue will be generated if that's the case.

My 2 cents.
    Adding profle pics and status updates is nothing new. We've been able to do that on AIM, MSN and YIM for years. RIM just wants to make BBM like those IM clients NOT like facebook which helps you reconnect with friends.
    07-23-09 03:49 PM
    You say bbm is getting huge OUTSIDE the US? Wasn't it already pretty big inside? Just look at the demand and hype around bbm5.

07-23-09 03:55 PM
    You say bbm is getting huge OUTSIDE the US? Wasn't it already pretty big inside? Just look at the demand and hype around bbm5.

Yes, BBM is huge here in the US, but its taken for granted (kinda). What I mean is: Us, people in the US, don't see BBMing like a huge thing, BUT people outside of the US is just purchasing blackberries to JUST BBM.

All of my friends from Mexico are just posting their PINS on facebook all day long. Everyone is getting into the BB train, and when something gets that big in Mexico usually a big opportunity opens.

For example, Starbucks, which is just a regular coffee shop here in the US (We only go in and out for a cup of coffee) Is a huge deal in Mexico. Starbucks's down there are like the "cool hip place to hang out on Fridays". So what they did is they put HUGE sitting areas inside and outside of each one of them with more expensive coffee and food than the regular Starbucks we have here. And its a ridiculously profitable business down there. Consider that it started only started 5 years ago in Mexico...

BBM is now becoming the NEW BIG THING down there, so a lot of opportunities can come out of it if done right
    07-23-09 04:17 PM
    Sorry that's dumb. It's like asking "what if hot dogs became the new hamburger?"
    07-23-09 04:18 PM
    Sorry that's dumb. It's like asking "what if hot dogs became the new hamburger?"
    Haha! True story. The OP is comparing apples to oranges. If anything, the new BBM is growing into a Google Talk IM application (or AIM, MSN, take your pic).

P.S. If BBM ever became like Facebook, I'd ditch the phone.
    07-23-09 04:22 PM
    Maybe someone already posted about this, but there's a new thing coming called myblackberry.com, right now its only by invitation but its basically a facebook for BB users
    07-23-09 04:25 PM
    Absolutely not. Facebook incorporated IM already into their page. Their IM is awful, but you can see they are trying to make it into that.

BBM is already an IM service with some other features. If you take the perfectly working IM service and turn it into something bigger and better automatically you will have more "connectivity" with people and would be more appealing to people to get a BB as their new "facebook" with the PLUS of IM everywhere in the world instead of waiting for a PM on facebook. ITS INSTANT.
    07-23-09 04:26 PM
    BBM can't be Facebook, ever. If anything, it'll be more like Twitter.
    07-23-09 04:27 PM
    BBM 5.0 has caused so many servers to overload. There are more teens walking around with blackberrys then there were last year! Blackberrys arent just for the "business" people anymore. its a way to live! if RIM was smart, they would keep marketing to the youth because thats who determines what products are "in" and what is "out" not the 30+ age
    07-23-09 04:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD