03-16-09 05:15 PM
46 12
tools
    Hey, I wrote a new Java app for the Storm. it is a simulation of a HP25 scientific calculator. Actually, I ported it from am existing Web applet.

You can get it from this page: http://www.dougbraun.com/blackberry
    The actual download link is: http://dougbert.is-a-geek.com:8080/BlackBerry/HP25.jad

The Java source code is also there, so you can use it as sample code for learning BB programming. You can also critique my design or coding style...

Let me know if there is any problem installing it from the web page.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by dougbert609; 01-26-09 at 01:54 PM.
    01-26-09 01:27 PM
    Can you put the dl link in here please

01-26-09 01:33 PM
    hey i am thinking of writing some apps for the storm, but dont know java and i downloaded the bb ide and was lost. couldnt even do a hello world.

i only know vb.net and used to know a little C. but i hear the bb ide sucks, is this why its so hard?

plus with visual studio, if i want a drop down box, i drag one on the screen. with bb java, i cant right? i have to make the box in code and then some how tell it where i want it on the screen?
    01-26-09 01:43 PM
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Developer Program | Overview, Features, Tools and Opportunities
    take a look at that link

There are plugins available for Visual Studio
    Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 01-26-09 at 01:51 PM.
    01-26-09 01:48 PM
    hope this works. He can't post links yet...

http://dougbert.is-a-geek.com:8080/BlackBerry/HP25.jad
    01-26-09 02:11 PM
    I'm going to test this out buddy. Thanks for your Storm support. Will get back...

Edit:

Ok, just installed the application. It's an HP-25 Calculator. Needs a lot of work done to it... speaking of aesthetics.

- The button placement is very confusing.
    - Seems like an emulator then a real program for the Storm.

I suggest you use RIMs way and make it prettyfull. Thanks though.
    Last edited by envyv07; 01-26-09 at 03:38 PM.
    01-26-09 03:32 PM
    I like it, wish it was the HP 10c, or better yet a 35s, but I like the option to see the "real" calculator or the "graphic equivalent".

Keep it up, maybe a little clean up (contrast on graphic screen) and it's a winner...
    01-26-09 04:38 PM
    This is great!!! I was missing RPN on the Storm!!! Any way to have a landscape version drawn out like a 12C? Or to change the background to black, so it's a different color than the part where the numbers are?

Thanks for your work on this!!!
    01-26-09 05:36 PM
    Very nice.... Thanks for sharing your work. It is much with RPN than a normal calculator

Thanks again,
    Dave
    01-26-09 06:18 PM
    It is cool there is also a free scientific calculator at gwhiz. It graphs and everything pretty cool and free.
    01-26-09 06:22 PM
    I'm going to test this out buddy. Thanks for your Storm support. Will get back...

Edit:

Ok, just installed the application. It's an HP-25 Calculator. Needs a lot of work done to it... speaking of aesthetics.

- The button placement is very confusing.
    - Seems like an emulator then a real program for the Storm.

I suggest you use RIMs way and make it prettyfull. Thanks though.
    About the aesthetics: What do you expect for version 1.0 :-)

About the button placement: It matches exactly the button placement of the original HP25. But I would like to improve the layout of the text
    on the buttons, and generally make them more beautiful. I could probably draw just the relevant key labels whenever the F or G keys are pressed.

About looking like an emulator: It IS an emulator! It models the behavior of a real HP25 almost perfectly.

01-26-09 07:01 PM
    This is great!!! I was missing RPN on the Storm!!! Any way to have a landscape version drawn out like a 12C? Or to change the background to black, so it's a different color than the part where the numbers are?

Thanks for your work on this!!!
    Currently the display is locked to portrait mode because there is no landscape key layout. But that would be easy to add. All the color choices are quick and dirty, and could definitely be improved. Sometime when I have some free time, I'll probably do version 1.1...

01-26-09 07:03 PM
    Could you build a financial calculator? I deal with bank loans and investments so it would be nice to stop carrying my HP 12c
    01-26-09 10:53 PM
    Could you build a financial calculator? I deal with bank loans and investments so it would be nice to stop carrying my HP 12c
    Banks are no longer giving loans...and all investments are going DOWN...there you go; no calculator needed!
    01-27-09 08:02 AM
    I easpecially enjoy the "Realistic" Mode.
    01-27-09 08:14 AM
    Very cool calculator. I feel so much better now that I can use RPN. The "Realistic Screen" is pretty fun to use for that retro feel. Now I'm just hoping that someone will make a 48GX emulator...
    01-27-09 08:23 AM
    thanks for posting the source code. I'm looking to tinker in the development area and it's always good to get some sample code to leverage as a starting point.
    01-27-09 09:15 AM
    I want to thank you for feeding my need for an RPN calculator.. Great Job!

If you do a landscape mode, could you maybe do a layout similar to a 11C?

Also, is there a way to turn off the buzz for every key input (just seems like a waste of battery to me)

Once again, for a version 1.0, this is fantastic!
    01-27-09 10:04 AM
    Banks are no longer giving loans...and all investments are going DOWN...there you go; no calculator needed!
    I still gotta calculate how much I'm loosing!
    01-27-09 01:21 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion of using the HP-11 as a basis for the landscape layout.
    The only reason it doesn't already do landscape is because I was too lazy to design
    a good layout.

Of course, it is trivial to add an option to turn off the vibrate. (It's also trivial to do
    the vibrate in the first place; I wonder why more applications or the OS itself do
    not have that option.)

I want to thank you for feeding my need for an RPN calculator.. Great Job!

If you do a landscape mode, could you maybe do a layout similar to a 11C?

Also, is there a way to turn off the buzz for every key input (just seems like a waste of battery to me)

Once again, for a version 1.0, this is fantastic!
    01-27-09 04:19 PM
    Great app or emulator or whatever it is. I'm stoked to have an RPN calculator on my Storm.
    01-27-09 04:30 PM
    Unrelated dev question (since you were nice enough to post the source code, hoping you'll point me in the right direction with this)

I've generated the HelloWorld app and have a .cod file. I need an .alx file to load via the desktop manager. How do I go about generating one in order to copy it over to my BB for testing (I can view via the simulator, but want to deploy on my actual phone)?
    01-28-09 04:56 PM
    I like it... I always find it hard to go back to a 'forward texan' calculator. RPN will always be easiest for me! Thanks, Dougbert

PS - Any interest in doing an HP-48SX???
    01-28-09 05:39 PM
    Unrelated dev question (since you were nice enough to post the source code, hoping you'll point me in the right direction with this)

I've generated the HelloWorld app and have a .cod file. I need an .alx file to load via the desktop manager. How do I go about generating one in order to copy it over to my BB for testing (I can view via the simulator, but want to deploy on my actual phone)?
    There is a command in the JDE "Build' menu to generate an ALX file. But I have never needed one.
    During development, I simply load the .cod file into the phone with JavaLoader.exe.
    Setting up the app for OTA download is a bit confusing- you have to unpack the .cod (which is really a .zip) into several "sibling" .cods, and
    you have to edit the .jad file a bit. Search the developer message boards for more info. I am surprised that the JDE does not do
    these things automatically.

01-29-09 08:27 PM
    PS - Any interest in doing an HP-48SX???
    Find an existing Java implementation and your work is 90% done...

01-29-09 08:29 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD