Even though my phone runs great with .151(and I mean really really nice most of the time) my memory is still a bit MOODY. I have been switching from precizion zen to win 7 theme back and forth to figure out whats causing this sudden mood swing with this phone.

Even when my app memory is low my phone still runs really smooth.

I dont know if its my theme or what, but I am not running many hardcore programs.

So if my phone is running great, why do I keep checking my memory, and even though its moody, why does it still bug me even when phone is running correctly....

Does anyone else feel this way?

If I didnt know what app memory was I wouldnt be this weird about it.
    08-05-09 09:00 PM
    Perhap memory OCD?

Best thing to do is to reset your phone and your memory will recover back... and in time, you will recover from memory OCD as well when better OS comes out.
    08-05-09 10:02 PM
    You could delete one of the themes....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 10:03 PM
    best thing to do...make yourself stop checking the app memory...unless the phone becomes slow or unresponsive and everything works why even bother?

and i agree with Joey, try deleting a theme obviously not precision zen as its necessary haha...maybe worth a shot?
    08-05-09 10:05 PM
    I don't run any themes and I currently run 5.0 my memory hardly drops at all. I have tons of apps I would say its your theme.
    08-05-09 10:07 PM
    Hello,

My name is Jason, and I have memory OCD! I had to get rid of MeterBerry from my phone because i was checking it even more than normal. It is a sickness, and if there is a support group, sign my a$$ up!
    08-05-09 10:27 PM
    this will make you feel even better--- I picked up a "live" Tour in the VZW store today and decided to check the memory... 97.4mb of available application memory!!! 97.4 and it is supposed to be the same OS! ha.
    08-05-09 10:32 PM
    this will make you feel even better--- I picked up a "live" Tour in the VZW store today and decided to check the memory... 97.4mb of available application memory!!! 97.4 and it is supposed to be the same OS! ha.
    tour is 4.7.1 storm runs 4.7.0 not the same OS and the tour comes with more memory
    08-05-09 10:34 PM
    Hello,

My name is Jason, and I have memory OCD! I had to get rid of MeterBerry from my phone because i was checking it even more than normal. It is a sickness, and if there is a support group, sign my a$$ up!
    Hi Jason...
    08-05-09 10:35 PM
    It all makes me crazy. A glimmer of hope: DM Backup is working a lot better than just a few months ago.

My Storm's memory management reminds me of my PS's spam, virus, etc. protection: Who is really in charge and knows what the xx**7% is going on ? I do trust Peter Norton, but sometimes I see whacky things like - the firewall is turned off. That just can't be right !

My Storm's memory management is an exact incarnation of "Too Many Cooks Spoil the Broth"

RIM, please, please get this right, even though we all insist on installing any old third party apps we want to !

PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE, SOON !

Doctor Neutron
    08-05-09 11:21 PM
    Yeah! Don't get me wrong .151 handles the memory leak in that it doesn't allow memory leak to mess with phones performance but it shouldn't even be an issue. I don't think its RIMS fault as much as the software developers faults. Its this whole third party app intro that's causing RIM and app builders to have to step it up if they want to keep us happy. I DO have memory OCD now more than everything. First I had click OCD with surepress where I would have to clock my phone every now and then just to get that satisfication...now its memory. These phones are greeeeeat but have minds that aren't fully tamed yet. But as I've seen RIM has fixed app world which I didn't expect so soon. So I'm sure memory leak is on the list for 5.0. After all don't RIM employees use their own phones? Lol.
    08-05-09 11:58 PM
    And the thing that sucks is I would see people write about memory leak as a noob and all I could think was wth are they talking about how does memory leak where are they going to check this. Now that I know about it its like mAaaaaaaaaan lol.
    08-06-09 12:01 AM
    The only time I have memory issue with .151 is when I'm running any theme other than the stock one ...

Many have tried to convince me I'm doing something wrong and have recommended other themes ... the result is always the same ... running stock theme, memory does not move, all day long, no matter how heavy my usage, maybe up or down .5mb in a 12 hour period.

Install a theme, get it all nice and set up the way I want it, stable and works the same as the stock theme until .....

Until I load a new app. That's when the leaks start. I ran one theme for 2 weeks and was ready to declare hallelujah until I installed a new app and the leaks began the next day.

Removed the theme, went back to stock, rock freakin' solid mem management again. Even with the new app installed.

As Einstein said "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is a sign of insanity" ... I am soooo over trying to run themes on the Storm.
    08-06-09 01:32 AM
    The only time I have memory issue with .151 is when I'm running any theme other than the stock one ...

Many have tried to convince me I'm doing something wrong and have recommended other themes ... the result is always the same ... running stock theme, memory does not move, all day long, no matter how heavy my usage, maybe up or down .5mb in a 12 hour period.

Install a theme, get it all nice and set up the way I want it, stable and works the same as the stock theme until .....

Until I load a new app. That's when the leaks start. I ran one theme for 2 weeks and was ready to declare hallelujah until I installed a new app and the leaks began the next day.

Removed the theme, went back to stock, rock freakin' solid mem management again. Even with the new app installed.

As Einstein said "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is a sign of insanity" ... I am soooo over trying to run themes on the Storm.
    Your on my level........

So yeah you just confirmed what I have been thinking and testing recently. The problem is theme makers are making themes that are backwards compatible but they are causing issues on .151 even when they work....they shouldn't be affecting app mem like that. that is why RIM is releasing 5.0 to get everything on the same page. Theme builders and app builders try to keep up but have limited time therefore limited written quality.
    08-06-09 01:39 AM
    It just means you're a nerd. That's OK. None of us would be here unless we were all guilty of such.
    08-06-09 01:45 AM
    It just means you're a nerd. That's OK. None of us would be here unless we were all guilty of such.
    lol Ill accept that honor.
    08-06-09 01:48 AM
    lol Ill accept that honor.
    well put lol
    08-06-09 06:04 AM
    Lol, I was in the same boat as you guys, then I did something... I still have Meterberry installed, and I still have it cycling between the memory and battery life. But I made a conscious decision to ignore the memory until it got below a certain point. With .148, that was 10MB and with .151, it's 20MB. I now actually make it a game... how long can I keep my phone running without it dropping to that preset mark? I still watch it, but now, it's more to see if it's getting close or not.

And I now restrict my memory OCD to new OS installs and to answer specific questions about those installs - e.g. is it better to use Shrink-A-OS or not (I've come to the conclusion that on my phone, it doesn't help and actually makes it worse)? Or am I having a problem after installing an app? (e.g. Google Maps is an issue for my phone). Once those questions have been answered, that's it, I just sit back and relax and wait for if/when it'll drop past my preset point (and when I hit that point, guess what, I set one even lower).
    08-06-09 06:23 AM
    To quote patches regarding Memory, "don't put the pu$$y on the shelf!". At least I think that was in reference to memory...but either way...

The phone has memory to be used. The OS should use it as needed and recycle when it is done. So you will drop, but as long as it goes back up in time you are fine.

That being said I am a reformed memory check addict. I used to look at status > memory 100x a day easy. Once I found the thread in my signature I fixed my memory issues and started to cure my habit. At least until I got kookoo nutty and ran a theme. It was okay for a while but I found myself hitting that memory option again. Uninstalled the theme and wal la. So I definaty agree that themes leak memory.

Since 151 and 140 I really never look at memory and never really reset the phone.

That is my story. Some people or places may have been changed to protect their privacy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-09 07:54 AM
    I have 151 and run a theme. I use Podtrapper all day so my battery is kaput by quitting time. I have a second battery so I put that in before leaving work. I rarely have to reset my phone now since it is done once a day anyway. Memory starts in the mid 40's and may go down to the low 30's before the other battery goes in.
    08-06-09 08:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD