I had read such good things about beyond411 that I was all excited to try it out. Well, i've had it for 30 minutes and am pretty disappointed...

- This is one of the least user friendly apps I've ever used in my life.
    - After I type in a business that I'm looking for, it lists the locations in proximity to the address I'm using. Great!...Right?...Nah, because when I click "map" or "directions", I don't get a map and the directions are consistently wrong...and not even a little wrong, but grossly wrong. Like instead of me just having to walk one block, it has me driving 1,300 miles. Since when do I need to get on the Pennsylvania Turnpike just to get from 23rd St in NYC to 24th St in NYC? This is the biggest problem I have with the program - without a map, it's kinda worthless, and I'm not about to copy and paste everything over to google maps.
    - Movie times - I click the "movies" option and it opens the browser and shows me a page that has nothing to do with movies - it just lists some random locations of the last business that I searched (in this case, "starbucks" just as a test).
    - Supposedly beyond411 uses yahoo for all of its searches, but it's apparently using google instead. I don't have a problem with google or anything, but it's just one more thing that just isn't what it's supposed to be.

I gave up at this point and I really don't think I'm asking too much. Calling it buggy would be an understatement, but I gotta at least start discussion about this since so many people rave about this program. And maybe the problem is me or some setting that I need to change - please help me out if this mess could be my fault. Or if not, is there another program like beyond411 that does what it's supposed to do and is easy to use? What else are you guys using?

Thus, I must issue a formal declaration of shenanigans upon beyond411. Alas, thee shall be uninstalled from me Curve. (Unless someone has a really good rebuttal to this post.)

Thanks guys! (And trust me, I'm not as angry as I probably sound. Just disappointed, which I'll get over in about 5 minutes, heh.)
    06-10-08 04:08 PM
    "shenanigans" Ok, somebody watches A.T.O.S. don't you!
    06-10-08 04:15 PM
    A.T.O.S.? Don't even know what that is. Heh.
    06-10-08 04:19 PM
    A.T.O.S.? Don't even know what that is. Heh.
    Riiiiiiight!
    I'm waiting on them to do a gadget pron on the Bold. Especially since, they're in love with the Iphone on that show.
    06-10-08 04:24 PM
    Do you have BIS? Also have you inputted information in Edit settings so it picks up where it's searching from. Cos I just tried and it goes to the BB browser and it brings up the correct information
    06-10-08 04:28 PM
    Do you have BIS? Also have you inputted information in Edit settings so it picks up where it's searching from. Cos I just tried and it goes to the BB browser and it brings up the correct information
    Yep, I have BIS.

And yep, under "edit settings" i entered my work address and my home address.

It's giving me correct results to my searches, but the maps & directions are just wrong (which is kinda the whole point).
    06-10-08 04:39 PM
    You know what try a battery pull. I think I had to delete mine one time and it was acting weird but it went back to normal after the battery pull. If it doesn't work still I'd try and re-install it. Trust me, I luv it and I just tried the movie and other features and they're all working fine. Sorry I don't have a more concrete answer
    06-10-08 04:52 PM
    I'm definitely not a Beyond411 fanboy really. But , I do think it's a fairly good program. I'm in Cleveland, the home of odd one way streets, and it does pretty well for me.

I am pretty picky about stuff, but they do ok.
    06-10-08 05:07 PM
    Atos= attack of the show on G4 TV.
    Shennanigans
    That's funny.
    I do get the odd result 3000 miles away, but it's always pretty much spot on for what I need and the price is right. If I needed something for traveling to places I wasn't familiar, I'd bite the bullet for a pay app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-10-08 07:48 PM
    Lol, shens....

Dm

06-10-08 09:38 PM
    I deleted the app awhile ago from my berry.
    06-10-08 09:53 PM
    First thing I thought too... But it's AOTS, not ATOS.

Yeah, I had Beyond411 for all of a day before getting fed up and deleting it.
    06-11-08 01:51 AM
    FWIW, We call shenanigans all of the time at home and with the family and I have never ever ever heard of ATOS or AOTS or G4 or whatever it is ya'll are referring to...

That being said, I didn't like beyond411 either, I much preferred Google Maps. I didn't have to swim the Indian Ocean just to get to the grocery store, but I didn't care for it at all.

06-11-08 02:31 AM
    Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I tried a battery pull last night. Didn't fix anything. I tried deleting and re-installing it. Didn't fix anything. It's gone for good now and after some researching it looks like my options are...

- Live Search Mobile
    - Tell Me
    - Yahoo One Search
    - Infospace Find It (although, they don't have Verizon's 8330 listed, so this might not be an option)

Good thing it's a slow day at work today
    06-11-08 10:41 AM
    Love TELL ME. Works GREAT and utilizes Microsoft's Live Search.

You can talk to it... or type your city and location ... reads your GPS if you have that active.... can instantly call movie theaters for movies you select ...can view map of the location or instantly get driving directions.

To me..... I'd get rid of beyond411 and upgrade to a real 411 type application like TELL ME. You will like it
    06-11-08 12:29 PM
    Love TELL ME. Works GREAT and utilizes Microsoft's Live Search.

You can talk to it... or type your city and location ... reads your GPS if you have that active.... can instantly call movie theaters for movies you select ...can view map of the location or instantly get driving directions.

To me..... I'd get rid of beyond411 and upgrade to a real 411 type application like TELL ME. You will like it
    I wish. Tell Me looks great and a lot of people really like it, but it's not available for the 8330 Curve...neither is infospace find it. on top of that, so far i think yahoo one search stinks. live search mobile isn't too bad, but it's not exactly what I was hoping for.

I think pocket express is supposed to be something along the lines of these programs, so i'm gonna look into that too.

I dunno. I'm disappointed.
    06-11-08 01:31 PM
    FWIW, We call shenanigans all of the time at home and with the family and I have never ever ever heard of ATOS or AOTS or G4 or whatever it is ya'll are referring to...
    IMPOSSIBLE! It's totally inconceivable that a pop-culture reference could be used by more than one group of people!

Attack of the Show is a program on the G4 television network that covers everything from tech, movies, gaming, sex, cons, blogs, and general cool stuff on the internets. Whenever they find a video or something they think is fake the call SHENANIGANS! and have a graphic that displays on the screen.

I'm not saying they created shenanigans, but AOTS is a very popular show and has introduced shenanigans to a whole new group of people.
    06-11-08 03:06 PM
    Well I still use it and love it. I'm in Louisiana and its never giving me the wrong distance with using my address or using the gps. As far as the movies plugins I've had to use a different one of them because it left out a theater near me. As with most 411 plugins I find trying to use a different movie one or weather one works for me. If you look through the plugins you will find many different plugins that do the same thing. If you find a different program you like more then great but for many of us we love 411 and BS threads like this won't change our mind. Usually the issues are stupid user error but if there is a bug that needs to be addressed I think a discussion on resolving the issue would be the better route for a thread. This is a free and a bit dated program that works pretty good and to thrash a free program is just wrong. Don't like it Don't use it but stop the ********.

06-11-08 03:35 PM
    okay, so here's the compromise i came to (if anyone actually cares)...

- beyond411 was actually really good at coming up with listings for almost anything i typed into it, so i re-installed it and am keeping it to use really only as a "free text-based 411 service" and nothing else.

- since the maps & directions suck harder than paris hilton at a slumber party, i figured it only takes an extra few seconds to add the location to my address book, then map it with google maps from there. golden.

- i don't care about beyond411's weather (because i use weathereye); i don't care about its sports (because i'm not a sports fan); i don't care about its shopping (because i'm not a girl); and since the movies plug-in also seems to stink on ice, i just created a bookmark in opera mini for fandango.com (i created an account at fandango, added my 3 favorite movie theatres, and put a credit card on file, so now when i go to the webpage on my phone, it shows me those three theatres without having to navigate around for 15 minutes, then i can buy tix with the credit card on file). the rest of the features of beyond 411...to be polite...just "aren't for me."

at the current moment, 'infospace' is not available for my verizon 8330 curve, nor is 'tell me' - which is understandable since the phone's only been out for a month or so, but hopefully those guys will get them out shortly. (i'm almost drooling to check out 'tell me'.) i also thought 'live search mobile' and 'yahoo's one search' were also..."just not for me", heh.

in conclusion, i really think it's a shame that none of these developers can put together a simple little program that WORKS, is SIMPLE, and is EASY TO USE. (Again, I can't speak for infospace or tell me.) ****, I wouldn't even mind dropping a couple bucks on one if it was worth it. I think beyond411 has the right idea, what with the plugins and all, if any of it actually worked...and maybe they could spend a little time working on the logistics and user-friendliness of it.

at this point, i still stand by my original declaration of shenanigans...and, no, i have no idea what "attack of the show" is, and i'd like to issue another declaration of shenanigans to everyone who tried to accuse me of ripping off the word from some tv show that i didn't even know existed. but seriously, thanks for all the replies everyone

keep hope alive.
    06-11-08 03:40 PM
    Well I still use it and love it. I'm in Louisiana and its never giving me the wrong distance with using my address or using the gps. As far as the movies plugins I've had to use a different one of them because it left out a theater near me. As with most 411 plugins I find trying to use a different movie one or weather one works for me. If you look through the plugins you will find many different plugins that do the same thing. If you find a different program you like more then great but for many of us we love 411 and BS threads like this won't change our mind. Usually the issues are stupid user error but if there is a bug that needs to be addressed I think a discussion on resolving the issue would be the better route for a thread. This is a free and a bit dated program that works pretty good and to thrash a free program is just wrong. Don't like it Don't use it but stop the ********.

i'm not about to get into an argument with anyone over this, but christ man, lighten up. i'm glad you like the program and still use it. really. but ya can't please all of the people all of the time, and i was trying to open up discussion about it... i asked if maybe there was something i was doing wrong; i asked if there were any known boo-boo's within the program that the "community" has just chosen to ignore and not worry about; there's mention of competing programs as alternative solutions (if you read my last post, me and you even agree on the movie plugin in beyond411 being lackluster, so we found alternative solutions); there's talk of compatibility issues; and there really isn't any ignorant bashing of anything in this thread - there's plenty of justification and explanation for every point made.

so now you can stop trying to act like a mommy by telling us what to do and what to think. ...by your same argument, you also could have just ignored this thread if you didn't like the conversation. just relax, man. it'll be okay. peace.
    06-11-08 03:55 PM
    i'm not about to get into an argument with anyone over this, but christ man, lighten up. i'm glad you like the program and still use it. really. but ya can't please all of the people all of the time, and i was trying to open up discussion about it... i asked if maybe there was something i was doing wrong; i asked if there were any known boo-boo's within the program that the "community" has just chosen to ignore and not worry about; there's mention of competing programs as alternative solutions (if you read my last post, me and you even agree on the movie plugin in beyond411 being lackluster, so we found alternative solutions); there's talk of compatibility issues; and there really isn't any ignorant bashing of anything in this thread - there's plenty of justification and explanation for every point made.

so now you can stop trying to act like a mommy by telling us what to do and what to think. ...by your same argument, you also could have just ignored this thread if you didn't like the conversation. just relax, man. it'll be okay. peace.
    Perhaps you didn't get the point I was making.....If you don't like it don't use it. I'm not your mommy but I'm trying to get you to realize this pointless BS about complaining about a program an author gave us free of charge. Many like it and some have issues with it but again it usually ends up being user error. If you would have done a search you would have seen this addressed many many times. I guess you are too busy looking for a "mommy" to locate the search feature. There are lots of 411 alternatives that a search would have pointed you to.
    06-11-08 08:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD