Just curious... how do HulloMail (startup) and YouMail expect to compete with Google Voice? I was a YouMail user and switched to my Google Voice. I'm loving GV. GV provides the services that HM and YM offer and they're all free. I know GV is not available to everyone yet but how can these VVM companies compete?
    09-29-09 10:24 AM
    I think the way YouMail works is completely different than GV.

YouMail in essence becomes a replacement for your regular voicemail through no-answer forwarding, which is not available to everyone (based on carrier).

With Google Voice, you either have to set up no-answer forwarding, or forward the number to GV in some other way, or give out a completely different phone number.

I was looking at YouMail, but USCC doesn't do no-answer forwarding. Google Voice works for me by forwarding one number and giving out the GV number. It's just a different approach to things. Makes sense that others would want to get into the game.
    09-29-09 10:35 AM
    I think any recommendation of Google Voice over any product at the current time is not an ideal option for most people, because Google Voice is not availabe to the masses, yet. If I can't get Google Voice, it's like saying the Iphone is better than the Blackberry, but if I am on Verizon, what does it matter? I can't get the iPhone, so it's a moot issue. When Google Voice becomes universally availalbe, then you can have the argument. Just like when the iPhone becomes available on Verizon, how popular will Blackberry be then?
    09-29-09 10:41 AM
    I'm just thinking down the road when GV is available to the masses...

I use it as a no-answer forward in the do not disturb mode and it works great as VVM and includes, at no cost, speech-to-text transcription. The other "bells and whistles" include free calls (US and Canada) and free text messaging.

I don't see a way for the other VVM alternatives to compete in a meaningful way.

As a phone service, GV has a ways to go. They don't currently allow you to port your existing number to GV and they don't allow for speech-activated responses on their fancy call screening feature. I have to say that I'm mildly disappointed with GV for not making more progress. I was with Grand Central for a long time and since the Google takeover, very few improvements have come. In fact, GV was charging for calls to Canada, albeit at a low rate, and it really upset former former Grand Central users (GC allowed for free calls to Canada). At least that was reversed.
    09-29-09 12:50 PM
    I think any recommendation of Google Voice over any product at the current time is not an ideal option for most people, because Google Voice is not availabe to the masses, yet. If I can't get Google Voice, it's like saying the Iphone is better than the Blackberry, but if I am on Verizon, what does it matter? I can't get the iPhone, so it's a moot issue. When Google Voice becomes universally availalbe, then you can have the argument. Just like when the iPhone becomes available on Verizon, how popular will Blackberry be then?
    Google Voice invitations to non-Grand Central users began rolling out. Oct 3.
    10-04-09 06:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD