View Poll Results: Is it worth an app like this?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I want

14 82.35%
  • Won't use

3 17.65%
    I don't think this app exists and don't know if anyone here can program it but I was thinking of an app I would love to use and if it was out I would desperately go after.

The app is a simple app like automatic profiler. It uses the GPS in the blackberry and looks at your location every 5 minutes. If you are within a preset location, say withing 300 feet of the GPS coordinate that you set, it would turn on wiFi and if you leave that 300 foot circle it would turn off wiFi.

I have a new 8900 and love it. I turn on wiFi at home and at work but turn it off when I leave either place. It would be nice to have that setup automatically by using GPS to do it. Since there are other phones out there with wiFi and GPS like the bold it would be nice to have this application.

As a further thought, it after the app was made being able to download a database of known hot spots per carrier would also rock. That way AT&T and T-Mobile users would be able to have it auto work at say an airport or starbucks etc.

Just my 2 cents. And I hope this may start a programmer thinking this is possible Does it sound like it is worth it?
    01-10-09 03:46 PM
    I don't have WiFi on my Curve, but I would definitely love to have a GPS-enabled profile switcher. Automatically putting my BB into vibrate mode whenever I get near my office, church or the movie theater would be great! I currently use Profiler to switch my profile, but using it assumes that you have a set schedule for when you will be at the places that require profile switching....not always possible, especially for the movies. If there was an app to adjust the profile based on GPS position, I would be all over it!
    01-11-09 12:15 AM
    Then all we need is an application that polls the GPS location every 5 minutes that will update the phones profile and wifi and maybe a few other things while within a certain range of a GPS coordinates or last known position.... Anyone even know if this is possible? I sure hope so...
    01-11-09 01:22 PM
    I recall hearing something on the radio about an iPhone app that did this. Doesn't mean there's a BB equivalent, but it seems to follow that it is at least possible.

I'd use such an app - would be nice for setting phone on vibrate when I walk into the courthouse and back to Normal when I leave.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-09 02:45 PM
    There are apps for both the Iphone and G1 that do this. I would imagine that it won't be long before we see one for Blackberries. It's honestly one of the few apps that I would consider shelling out money for.
    01-11-09 03:54 PM
    There are apps for both the Iphone and G1 that do this. I would imagine that it won't be long before we see one for Blackberries. It's honestly one of the few apps that I would consider shelling out money for.
    Do you know what the one for the iPhone is called? I'd love to download it. Thanks.
    01-11-09 05:51 PM
    Not off the top of my head, no. Sorry
    01-11-09 06:01 PM
    So whats the chance of getting a developers or programmer to do this for us?
    01-12-09 08:25 AM
    So whats the chance of getting a developers or programmer to do this for us?
    Got money? Developers/programmers come at a hefty price these days
    01-12-09 04:42 PM
    i think thiats the coolest idea ever. I always forget to change my profile back and always miss text/call/emails

I'd love it.
    01-12-09 05:07 PM
    If we get enough willing to buy it, we have the money, i'm willing to buy it

I just hope some developer sees this and thinks this is good to make as well. Maybe toysoft.ca since they already have a profiler and auto reply program "not now". Getting them would be cool.
    01-12-09 05:28 PM
    Android:androidlocale.com/?nav=product

S60:handheld.softpedia.com/get/Travel/SmartProfile-S60-2nd-edition-26833.shtml

WinMo:handheld.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/Enhancements/Location-Profiler-Mobile-72823.shtml

And iphone has one i think...

we just need one for blackberry now!!!! :P

(can't post links yet)
    01-15-09 10:00 AM
    precentral.net/new-features-pre-oops-im-late-and-automatic-calendar-context

I am seriously wanting something likes this. Blackberry seems to be the only smartphone without this smart app. This alone may make me want a pre. But nothing else of course... Not a fan of the S60 WinMO or iphone. Had them all and they all didn't meet what I wanted. Sofar only blackberry and maybe now the pre.
    01-19-09 03:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD