Okay, so I know the gist of it, its features, what it does. But how exactly would I make use of it? I've got a Storm 9530 on Verizon Wireless. Let's assume this is at a point where Google has introduced number portability to everyone... So if I were to do that, I would port my number over to GV and pay an early termination fee to end my contract with Verizon. Then I've got the GV dialer app on my phone. I'm assuming the whole thing uses data, right? But if I've terminated my contract with Verizon, then where am I getting my data from? Like I said, I understand the concept and its usefulness, but I guess I'm just missing this "key" to understanding how it'd all work...? Thanks.

Brian
    08-20-09 10:54 PM
    uh...you don't port your # to Google Voice. GV is meant to be used to forward to a different #.
    08-20-09 11:05 PM
    I use mine for work, I am in sales and don't want every customer to have my cell but google voice allows me to use another number that rings to my cell so I still get every call. There are other great features as well but this is probably my favorite feature
    08-20-09 11:08 PM
    I use mine for work, I am in sales and don't want every customer to have my cell but google voice allows me to use another number that rings to my cell so I still get every call. There are other great features as well but this is probably my favorite feature
    The newest feature that GV offers that GrandCentral did not have is the SMS part. you can actually text to another person's cell # and it will show up with your GV #.

I have total 2 GV #. I use one for work and one for Craigslist
    Last edited by alexn206; 08-20-09 at 11:12 PM. Reason: more info
    08-20-09 11:11 PM
    Well, it seems number portability is where I'm not on the same page with people... I get that right now you don't port your number over. But I have read it on several technology blogs that it's in the works for the future. Does that necessarily make it accurate? No. But in trying to understand how it would work... From TechCrunch:

Today you are issued a new phone number when you sign up for Google Voice. But weve confirmed that a very small number of people have ported their existing numbers to Google (Google uses Level3 to handle phone numbers). In the U.S. its possible to port any phone number to another service provider - even a mobile number to a voip provider like Level3.
    Google is only testing the service for now, but weve heard from a source inside Google that they plan to roll out number portability as a general feature later this year. Once that happens, users will be able to move the phone number theyve had forever to Google, and avoid the switching costs.
    That means you can switch your mobile number to Google and then just use whatever device you happen to have in your hand to receive calls. Thats an extremely powerful feature for Google Voice.
    So how would that work on "whatever device you happen to have in your hand?" I would think you'd still need a carrier's network and data plan to use it...?
    08-20-09 11:19 PM
    Google voice needs no data plan. It provides a number, you choose what phone or phones you want to to ring when the google voice number is dialed. if you are on your cell and you want to get on a landline, you press # and it rings every phone you have set up until you pick up the landline you want to use.
    08-20-09 11:22 PM
    So if your google voice number is 555-555-5555, when someone calls it, will ring every phone you have set up. Mine rings my cell, home, home office, and work office at the same time. I answer my cell usually
    08-20-09 11:23 PM
    Yep I use it to ring my home, work, and cell (if its my wife or parents) the cool thing GV does is allow me to make long distance phone calls from a phone that DOES NOT have long distance on the line. Like my home phone for example.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-09 11:33 PM
    OP, you need to have an active line with one of the carriers to use it. One advantage of GV, is that it doesn't matter which carrier you use. Once you have ported your number, you can choose any carrier and just have GV ring your new number when they call your GV number, or have it ring your landline, office number, GF's number, etc. Combine this with transcribed voicemails, online call management, free domestic calls, etc and its a great phone solution.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-09 12:35 AM
    I love my Google Voice. One of the main things that I like about it is the ability to block calls. No way you can do that on a cell phone.
    08-21-09 12:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD