Works great for me.....i Just open the manager went to restore/backup and simply took the downloaded service book and opened the advanced menu in backup/restore and inserted the service book to my device plain and simple!!! and now i have yahoo on my blackberry with at&t.
    How do I take the downloaded service book and insert it to my device using the advanced restore/backup util.?
    12-06-07 01:49 PM
    How do I take the downloaded service book and insert it to my device using the advanced restore/backup util.?
    With Desktop Manager open and handheld connected, open the Backup and Restore Option, and click on the Advanced button

On the right will be your device databases, on the left will be desktop file databases. now, choose File and Open and browse to the downloaded service book restore file (something.ipd) and select open, now the service book should appear on the left side. select the service book and press the arrow that points to the right.
    12-06-07 01:59 PM
    now, choose File and Open and browse to the downloaded service book
    Ah! Don't I feel stupid! .. File and open.. Thankx! Worked perfectly once I realized that one little word was up there...
    12-06-07 02:13 PM
    Awww, don't feel stupid. That's what this site is all about, sharing the knowledge that some of us have learned through the school of hard knocks.

Welcome to the site and maybe i'll see you in Yahoo Messenger
    12-06-07 02:43 PM
    I don't seem to see the Desktop [sync] workbook
    12-14-07 04:56 PM
    This helped me out so much!!! I was about to get really frustrated!

I love this site and the users. Every problem I have had with my Pearl has been solved by someone WAY smarter than me on this site.
    12-17-07 08:56 PM
    I don't seem to see the Desktop [sync] workbook
    ME NEITHER! arrrgh! I am looking through it , theres a ton of media mall svc books, some wap2 svc bks,.. I am so technologically illiterate, and im scared to mess with my beloved new BB but i MUST have messenger!
    12-27-07 02:03 AM
    I did not see the Desktop [sync] service book either. I went ahead and continued with the rest of the instructions and everything seemed to work just fine. My yahoo messenger is working like a champ now.

I am not sure what that is used for. I have only had my BB for a few days, so it may be something that I have not installed/setup on mine at this point. I am still learning at this point.

Thanks for all the information provided in this post. I use Yahoo fairly extensively in my work and was fairly bummed at first when I found out it would not work with ATT. Finding this post really made my day.
    12-27-07 09:33 PM
    I did not see the Desktop [sync] service book either. I went ahead and continued with the rest of the instructions and everything seemed to work just fine. My yahoo messenger is working like a champ now.

I am not sure what that is used for. I have only had my BB for a few days, so it may be something that I have not installed/setup on mine at this point. I am still learning at this point.

Thanks for all the information provided in this post. I use Yahoo fairly extensively in my work and was fairly bummed at first when I found out it would not work with ATT. Finding this post really made my day.
    THANK YOU! i thought of doing that but i was scared to try it and do irrepairable damage to my berry. ill try it today
    12-28-07 01:38 PM
    I believe Desktop [sync] is for BES users
    12-29-07 07:41 AM
    Works great for me.....i Just open the manager went to restore/backup and simply took the downloaded service book and opened the advanced menu in backup/restore and inserted the service book to my device plain and simple!!! and now i have yahoo on my blackberry with at&t.
    Worked like a charm
    12-31-07 01:23 PM

I tried that, and it didn't work. I don't have the Desktop [sync] service book. Tried skipping the steps that involved it, but still get the usual error when trying to use YIM. Any ideas?
    Last edited by bassthumpa; 01-14-08 at 01:25 PM.
    01-14-08 01:23 PM
    GoDJ, thanks for the instructions, it worked for me.

Which plan does this Yahoo Messenger 2.0 setup on the Blackberry use? Do the chats go through the text plan, or through the data plan?
    01-15-08 08:34 PM
    This stand alone version will use your data plan.
    01-16-08 12:54 PM
    Empty is right.

OZ uses texts.

The seperate apps that you download use data only.
    01-16-08 01:01 PM
    Empty is right.

OZ uses texts.

The seperate apps that you download use data only.
    Excellent! That's what I want. Thanks guys!!!
    01-16-08 03:53 PM
    Follow up questions:

1. Yahoo Messenger is working, and I'm getting incoming messages from my email accounts, but now if I delete emails in my Blackberry, they don't get deleted from the email server (and vice versa).

Is this because I deleted the "Desktop [SYNC]" service book from my BB? How do I resolve the above issue?

2. In the original instructions of this thread, Step 3 says: "Open Desktop Manager and restore that service book (Click here for How-To)". Which service book is being referred to?

Thanks in advance!!!
    01-17-08 02:57 PM
    Are you on a BES server? If so, try resending the service books from the server.
    01-17-08 03:50 PM
    Thanks GoDJ for the post! Here's my take:

1) Make sure to do a backup before beginning any of this

2) My Pearl 8100 doesn't have Desktop [SYNC] and I'm not a BES user

3) I tried adding the YM service book, but it replaces my existing books (no more email). Restore, email and other books back, whew.

4) I don't see a way to combine or insert the book as one user suggested (unless that user doesn't use email and didn't notice it overwrote it?)

5) Shame on AT&T for being so greedy and forcing all of us to waste time with work-arounds.

So, anyone know what I may be doing wrong, or is there a way to "merge" YM's service book into my Bberry?

Thanks!

Follow up: This thread helped: Y! 2.0 Workaround for ATT Subscribers - PinStack.com

Bottom line: Inserting YM service book does wipe out your existing books, but going to BIS site you can have them resend your books which doesn't wipe out the YM book you just added. Make any sense? Hope so.
    Last edited by nlstong; 01-21-08 at 11:10 AM.
    01-21-08 10:56 AM
    Thats actually Step 5 in my original post.
    01-21-08 09:23 PM
    I decided this morning to be clever and upgrade from YIM v1 to v2... and spend the remainder of my day trying to fix what I had managed to screw up!

I am SOOOOO glad I found this post tonight! I had it all back to normal withing 15 minutes. Turns out I just needed to find the new service book for 2.0!

Thanks so much for your help!

Limes
    01-28-08 08:46 PM
    So i should be expecting a Yahoo IM from you soon?
    01-29-08 02:11 PM

Thanks so much for your help!

Limes
    Glad it worked.
    01-30-08 03:46 PM
    i just got this to work
    thanks for the great info
    this should be a sticky!
    02-01-08 05:21 PM
    this should be a sticky!
    Great idea. Ill PM a mod and see if its worthy like most of us think it is.
    02-01-08 07:11 PM
146 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD