Seriously, how does one go about silencing this annoying app, which has had this problem for as long as I've been using it (going back to OS 5)?

I have notifications unchecked in the app options. So therefore I should NOT be receiving notifications, right? Only it still sends them and it's driving me crazy. I've reinstalled the app, rebooted, checked options over and over again. I do NOT want Facebook notifications pushed to my phone, this has to be a battery drain as the app must be connecting to the server to check for updates.

I can set the alert tone to silent of course, but it is still giving me visual notifications. I could also uninstall the app, but I actually want to use it - I just want to refresh my feeds and look at notifications manually when I open the app though.

I am sick of this problem on the Blackberry Facebook app. It's been happening on and off for years and I can't believe the option to disable notifications STILL doesn't work. Anyone else experiencing this?
    09-01-11 05:46 PM
    Seriously, how does one go about silencing this annoying app, which has had this problem for as long as I've been using it (going back to OS 5)?

I have notifications unchecked in the app options. So therefore I should NOT be receiving notifications, right? Only it still sends them and it's driving me crazy. I've reinstalled the app, rebooted, checked options over and over again. I do NOT want Facebook notifications pushed to my phone, this has to be a battery drain as the app must be connecting to the server to check for updates.

I can set the alert tone to silent of course, but it is still giving me visual notifications. I could also uninstall the app, but I actually want to use it - I just want to refresh my feeds and look at notifications manually when I open the app though.

I am sick of this problem on the Blackberry Facebook app. It's been happening on and off for years and I can't believe the option to disable notifications STILL doesn't work. Anyone else experiencing this?
    I feel ya!!!!!!!.............i actually like to get notifications, I just wanna stop the GD mafia wars, someone has sent you flowers, farmville crap.
    I don't get all that crap on the FB mobile app, but I do on the BB FB app.
    Can anyone help a guy(s) out
    09-01-11 06:43 PM
    Open the FB app
    Hit the BB menu button
    Select Options
    Uncheck all the boxes
    And hit the link for "Turn off all FB email notifications"
    I also changed the "Check for New Feeds" to Never - so you have to manually refresh your feeds.
    deezy87 and suzy575 like this.
    09-01-11 07:59 PM
    Open the FB app
    Hit the BB menu button
    Select Options
    Uncheck all the boxes
    And hit the link for "Turn off all FB email notifications"
    I also changed the "Check for New Feeds" to Never - so you have to manually refresh your feeds.
    Don't think you read my post correctly - I have all the relevant options checked to disable notifications and yet still they come. I have also opted out of email notifications. Additionally, I have checked to make sure mobile notifications are unchecked in my desktop options. The problem is the Facebook app just ignores these options.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    suzy575 likes this.
    09-01-11 08:56 PM
    09-01-11 10:44 PM
    Oh well, at least they're "on it"! I wonder how much battery life is wasted by having Facebook notifications on? After all, I think I'm correct in assuming the notifications aren't pushed to the phone in the same way as email notifications, i.e. by RIM over the phone network? The only way they could work is if the phone keeps connecting to the Facebook server to listen for new notifications - this has got to drain battery in much the same was as the fake "push" email drains power on the iPhone.
    09-02-11 01:18 AM
    I like getting facebook notifications. As long as the phone doesn't vibrate every time I get a notification I'm fine with it. I'll just check the notifications when I have time and if I'm lazy I'll press mark prior opened and check them when I get home.
    09-02-11 02:39 AM
    Don't think you read my post correctly - I have all the relevant options checked to disable notifications and yet still they come. I have also opted out of email notifications. Additionally, I have checked to make sure mobile notifications are unchecked in my desktop options. The problem is the Facebook app just ignores these options.

What has worked in the past for me:
    Open Facebook app
    Go into Options
    Clear Cache
    Logout
    Reboot the phone (battery pull or alt+left shift+del)

However I'm still getting the occasional unwanted notification on my 9810, but not all of them.

suzy575 likes this.
    09-02-11 08:23 AM
    Oh well, at least they're "on it"! I wonder how much battery life is wasted by having Facebook notifications on? After all, I think I'm correct in assuming the notifications aren't pushed to the phone in the same way as email notifications, i.e. by RIM over the phone network? The only way they could work is if the phone keeps connecting to the Facebook server to listen for new notifications - this has got to drain battery in much the same was as the fake "push" email drains power on the iPhone.
    I have uninstalled this app until there is a better version.
    09-03-11 02:39 PM
    Now I can't even like people's comments, wtf, I'm so sick of software that doesn't even appear to have been tested on any level. The standard of software development these days is appalling, lok

suzy575 likes this.
    09-03-11 03:43 PM
    Sorry I misunderstood your post.

I was getting FB notification too until I went to the FB application on a desktop, Account Settings, Notifications and unchecked all notifications so FB never sends an email to me. FB is really sneaky about notifications and some are probably leaking through from your desktop settings, not your BB settings. I am also on the newest version of FB, if that makes a difference. Hope that helps.
    09-06-11 06:10 PM
    Sorry I misunderstood your post.

I was getting FB notification too until I went to the FB application on a desktop, Account Settings, Notifications and unchecked all notifications so FB never sends an email to me. FB is really sneaky about notifications and some are probably leaking through from your desktop settings, not your BB settings. I am also on the newest version of FB, if that makes a difference. Hope that helps.
    I checked my desktop FB as well, I have no notifications checked and no emails are sent to me. My BB FB is the latest version.
    09-06-11 08:02 PM
    I keep having the same problems

I use social scope, but I keep the facebook app installed to send pics to the correct picture folder.

I have done all I can and they still pop up.

Only had this problem since Facebook V2 arrived.

Pain in the ***. Let's hope this is sorted soon.

09-07-11 06:13 AM
    I have uninstalled this app until there is a better version.
    You should have been around in the days of v. 1.2 for the BB FB app if you think this version is crappy.
    09-07-11 07:20 AM
    You should have been around in the days of v. 1.2 for the BB FB app if you think this version is crappy.
    Yeah and it's still crap - what's your point
    09-26-11 08:04 AM
    Hi. I have the same problem, I want to turn the Facebook notifications on my Bold 9900 off but it doesnt work. RIM, please, we need a fix!!
    01-08-12 11:25 AM
    To all... Take a look at your group list such as close friends and acquaintances. I only get notifications from close friends. Play around with it.

01-08-12 12:08 PM

AHHH thank you for posting this. I just got the blackberry 9900 and i was having the same problem............no freakin wonder its so annoying =X if anyone knows please help =)
    03-03-12 02:32 AM
    just log out
    10-14-12 08:31 AM
    Thank you for your easy-to-read, easy-to-implement method to remove/delete Facebook notifications!
    kris kemp
    12-25-12 09:24 AM
    How do I get Facebook notification to stop coming to my phone?
    05-04-14 03:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD