Question for all you BB gurus. I'm afraid to keep my apps open because I don't want it to drain my battery life. I keep myself logged into BB messenger all the time but what about another IM application like yahoo?
    10-08-08 05:01 PM
    Question for all you BB gurus. I'm afraid to keep my apps open because I don't want it to drain my battery life. I keep myself logged into BB messenger all the time but what about another IM application like yahoo?
    Leaving Yahoo IM open did not drain my battery, but did drain my memory for whatever reason...
    10-08-08 05:04 PM
    I also use Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger for BB and I have not noticed any significant drain on the battery.

If for some reason the Yahoo or MSN login servers crap out there is a chance that the BB phone will try, try and try again to login/reconnect which can hammer the data channel possibly causing extra battery drain.
    10-08-08 05:16 PM
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

What if I have really crappy service at my house and it loses signal. I wonder if it'll keep trying to log me in. BB msgr hasn't given me any probs though
    10-08-08 05:23 PM
    I've run into the same problem as severedeceit... Aim drains my memory!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-08 05:30 PM
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

What if I have really crappy service at my house and it loses signal. I wonder if it'll keep trying to log me in. BB msgr hasn't given me any probs though
    The reason for that I believe is, although I could be wrong, is that there is no "log in/out" in regards to BBMessenger. All it is is a GUI that facilitates PIN2PIN messaging. Yahoo, AIM, MSN, etc. on the other hand are 3rd party server based when it comes to holding your contacts, sending messages, etc. which is why it would potentially use more power.

However, I have Yahoo and GTalk running and signed on at all times (no AIM on Bold yet. grrr) and have not had any noticeable effect on my battery life.
    10-08-08 06:51 PM
    Bump.

Related question (as I newly installed YahooIM).

If I close the app (thus nothing shown when you hold the BB button), I can still receive alerts/messages.

Is this because I am still "signed in" (which is based on when I hover over the icon it still shows me as available/signed in)?

I assume if I sign out, that is what stops the communication or seeking of the channel from the client.....right?
    09-17-09 10:42 AM
    Correct you need to sign out and then close the app.
    09-17-09 10:49 AM
    people still use yahoo? I hardly use aim anymore... But they don't drain out batter right??
    09-17-09 10:54 AM
    Sure. It beats conversing via e-mail (when you don't have a text plan).
    09-17-09 12:09 PM
    The main reason for battery drain is the poor signal. The weaker the signal, the more battery power the device uses to try and communicate. It works that way no matter what is running on the phone.
    09-17-09 12:43 PM
  12. T
    I leave yahoo, msn, and AIM, on whenever I'm not at my laptop, and I've never noticed any significant drain because of it. But, that may be because I'm usually in a strong signal area.

09-17-09 06:01 PM
    ditto, leave yahoo chat on 24/7 no real batt drain. get at least a day use form full charge, lots of texting, e-mailing, and just messing around with bb...
    09-17-09 10:03 PM
    the drain is a result of poor signal
    09-17-09 11:22 PM
    I'm finding yahoo is a great way to keep up with old friends that leave farther away......
    09-18-09 07:55 AM
    I also use Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger for BB and I have not noticed any significant drain on the battery.

If for some reason the Yahoo or MSN login servers crap out there is a chance that the BB phone will try, try and try again to login/reconnect which can hammer the data channel possibly causing extra battery drain.
    Where can I get the app for Yahoo Messenger??
    09-18-09 02:47 PM
    On my Tour, an icon to load the messenger came on the Tour by default in the Apps folder, along with AIM, Facebook, Windows LM, etc.
    09-18-09 02:57 PM
    Where can I get the app for Yahoo Messenger??
    Try this link. http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/dev...yahoo&CPID=VPL

Last edited by lak611; 09-18-09 at 10:11 PM.
    09-18-09 04:23 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I actually went to yahoo.com ->messenger->download.... I know that should have been my first step. About a year ago when I tried, it would not work.
    09-22-09 12:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD