Hi all,

I was wondering if there was a way to install Opera Mini from my computer and put in on my BB Pearl. I do not have a data plan, but i can get on Facebook and receive emails. I was reading a thread which someone is using Opera Mini to contect to the net without a data plan.
    01-05-09 08:03 AM
    i'm curious as to how you can connect to ANYTHING without a data plan.... Or, are you just using WiFi?
    01-05-09 08:12 AM
    Yes. You can install Opera mini (zip/cod file) onto your pc and load it onto the BB via desktop manager. You will also need the APN settings for your carrier put onto your device at options > advanced options >TCP.

You will need a generic data plan however to pay for data use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 08:26 AM
    Hazysky is correct.

However, RIM are intentionally misleading their customers about the data plan issue because they make a lot of money from selling it. You do not need a special data plan for Internet use (my emphasis). You do need a network connection such as GPRS, GSM or G3 (in Europe).

The RIM data plans run ontop of the basic network connection to provide their unique push services. RIM push services allow other RIM users to send data directly to your handset, at a cost to you.

However, there is nothing to prevent you using pull operations over a standard GPRS/GSM/G3 connection to download data without a RIM data plan, at a cost to you.

The push solution is particularly good in companies which employ mobile users, such as travelling salesmen or anyone working under call-out conditions. It allows the company HQ to push applications, emails, and other boring work stuff onto your handset. The push solution is a bit **** if you're on Pay As You Go because your friends can push unwanted junk onto your phone and burn your credit.

Note that RIM software does not typically support pull for most operations, but many 3rd party apps do. Furthermore, if you connect with G3 but without the RIM data plan, it says on your screen 'Data Connection Refused' but you can still pull data. It's a very misleading statement, but you can disable it in options.
    Last edited by flop; 01-05-09 at 08:55 AM.
    01-05-09 08:50 AM
    Well, i just installed Opera and I'm on the net. I tested it and was able to get on Facebook and Crackberry.
    01-05-09 09:03 AM
    You may want to check your bill soon before you get a surprise.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 12:09 PM
    On that note, the best deals I have found in the UK for pay as you go are:

ASDA charge the lowest flat rate of 20p per Mb and their service is powered by the Vodafone network. If you use only facebook, myspace or bebo then Orange (Dolphin) might be cheaper because they offer 50Mb of free access each month. It makes me wish BlackBerrys were dual-SIM and I think my costs works out at around �5/month (on average).

I have given up on contracts because Orange owe me �100 and won't refund it until I return phones that I did not buy!! That was the last time I trusted a network to play fair *angry*
    Last edited by flop; 01-05-09 at 01:26 PM.
    01-05-09 01:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD