Sorry - I am so stupid about all of this. I switched from BB to iPhone 6 months ago but I dug BB out of closet for trip we are taking to Argentina. Verizon unlocked BB. I am trying to get on wifi on the phone - on the phone it does show the hotel name of the free wifi but when I try to connect, say on Facebook, it says "a connection cannot be established to the Facebook server." Is there something more I need to do to access the internet? Thank you!
    11-15-11 09:37 PM
    That's an FB app issue. Do you have an active data plan? If not, the FB app won't work.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 11-16-11 at 07:43 AM.
    11-16-11 07:15 AM
    I don't have data plan on this BB. Really just using it as a phone in Argentina - getting an Argentina sim card. I was just curious about trying to get on wifi.
    When I go into the browser and try a link it says unable to connect to the Internet, please try again.
    Not a big deal if I can't make this work - I am just curious. Fortunately I have my laptop.
    Thanks!
    11-16-11 08:24 AM
    Make sure your wi-fi is on then go to network connections and put data service-on and while roaming-off. That works for me and I don't use any of my free data. I might be wrong but I do think you need a data plan but give it a try.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-11 09:13 AM
    It definitely should work. You able to access any other web pages?
    11-16-11 09:59 AM
    I was worried that Verizon would doc me for roaming. This BB is not currently signed up with Verizon - my iPhone is - so
    should I be okay turning on the data?
    I just don't want any HUGE surprises on my Verizon bill while away in Argentina for 3 weeks. Thanks!
    11-16-11 10:52 AM
    WAY off topic . . .

gonna hit some red clay while you are down there? Would love to!
    11-16-11 10:57 AM
    ha!!!! we have a very busy itinerary - hubby would kill me if I took a tennis racket too!!!!
    I have played on clay - interesting!
    11-16-11 10:59 AM
    play on green here in Louisiana - would love to stain a few pairs of my socks with the red!
    11-16-11 11:01 AM
    last time I stained my socks "red" was when we hiked the Kalalau trail on Kauai!
    11-16-11 11:02 AM
    Damn the tennis sounds fun, and hiking is a huge passion!

If you only want to use it for browsing, turn the mobile network off, otherwise just limit your data use to when on Wi-Fi and you'll be fine.
    11-16-11 11:20 AM
    If you're using the BB Facebook app, then yes, there will be an error because you would not have a Data plan. Try the mobile version of Facebook instead while on WiFi. m.facebook.com
    11-16-11 01:32 PM
    Thank you! Yes, turning data on worked and thanks for the FB tip!
    11-16-11 07:02 PM
    It definitely should work. You able to access any other web pages?
    Not without a data plan it won't.

Thank you! Yes, turning data on worked and thanks for the FB tip!
    11-17-11 07:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD