Hi everyone. I have seen so many bb screens with the temperature/sun or clouds displayed on the homescreen, usualy in one of the upper corners. I believe it's a "weather slot" and I understand that it can be displayed from certain themes that you download and of course you need a weather app.

1. I already have the weather channel app and will either get weather bug or berryweather, seems to be an ongoing debate with the two.
    2. I just downloaded my first theme last night.
    3. Caannn the weather be displayed without a theme?

So how do I get the weather to display?

Thanks everyone!! You all have been wonderful and patient
    07-17-10 01:11 PM
    basically no - RIM devices, as do apples, do not support widgets. So you have to make the Weather application one of your icons at the bottom, and scroll over when you want to see the temp, weather conditions. I know there are some OE looking themes + a weather spot so it makes things a little bit closer to a "weather widget".
    07-17-10 01:14 PM
    Berry Eye is free and has an active icon that shows current conditions when you scroll over it. And you don't need a weather slot. Just move the icon to your home screen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-17-10 01:22 PM
    basically no - RIM devices, as do apples, do not support widgets. So you have to make the Weather application one of your icons at the bottom, and scroll over when you want to see the temp, weather conditions. I know there are some OE looking themes + a weather spot so it makes things a little bit closer to a "weather widget".
    Ok so your saying that with my phone and RIM I can NOT have the weather displayed even with a theme weather slot like what I've been seeing? But weather apps like "weatherbug" and "berryweather" once downloaded I just have to scroll over them and it will display the weather/temp. without having to actually click on it?
    07-17-10 01:29 PM
    Berry Eye is free and has an active icon that shows current conditions when you scroll over it. And you don't need a weather slot. Just move the icon to your home screen.

Thank you! I think now it's just a decision between berryweather or weather bug
    07-17-10 01:31 PM
    Thank you! I think now it's just a decision between berryweather or weather bug
    correct. you download weather bug, set it as one of the "Front five" the icons that show on the main page and scroll over it, and the weather will pop up.

and with weather bug it'll show a "sunny" "cloudy" "rainy" icon depending on the conditions and when you scroll over it'll show a temp.
    07-17-10 01:34 PM
    Learning more every day They say bb's are addicting, I do believe this site is addicting, seeing how I have put in countless hours over the past couple of days just trying to learn. Thanks again!

PS. Is there much difference between the paid versions of beweather and weatherbug compared to the free versions. I can't see paying for weather.
    Last edited by ncmomgoinczy; 07-17-10 at 01:48 PM. Reason: ask a question
    07-17-10 01:45 PM
    Learning more every day They say bb's are addicting, I do believe this site is addicting, seeing how I have put in countless hours over the past couple of days just trying to learn. Thanks again!

PS. Is there much difference between the paid versions of beweather and weatherbug compared to the free versions. I can't see paying for weather.
    There a few extra features with the paid version of berryweather, like the little thermometer icon
    07-17-10 02:26 PM
    The nice part about the freebies is you get to try it before you buy it. Great marketing if you ask me. Good luck! And happy hunting.

07-17-10 03:06 PM
    Not saying you CAN'T have the weather icon displayed on the home screen, just not with the stock theme. You'll have to download a custom theme that includes the afore mentioned "weather slot." (I'm no theme maker but I believe it simply displays an icon in that are of the screen. You could put something out than a weather app there if you wanted. Lots of free themes available with weather slots, grab one, a free weather app and you will be set.
    07-17-10 03:54 PM
    You know I have not played with Berry weather in a while but can it show weather conditions/temp/hi-low, just as part of the Wallpaper and not have a dedicated icon in the theme.
    07-17-10 04:44 PM
    Thanks everyone! I downloaded weatherbug and moved it to the front, so this way I just have to highlight it and the temp. and high/low appear and it the app is shown according to the conditions outside. Although I guess you all knew that already. The theme I downloaded allows for 9 mini icons on the screen and does have the weather slot but as mjneid mentioned above, it won't work for me. So I did the next best thing.
    07-17-10 05:39 PM
    tandaina and F2 are correct. I'm not sure about weatherbug or weather elite, but BerryWeather and SimpleWeather both display on top of a wallpaper of your choosing, or by using an icon that can show the conditions, temp, and advisories that you can put on your home screen*. The reason default themes can't do this is the requirement is that the wallpaper has to be saved to your device separately. Some theme designers put up the wallpaper for their themes just for this. Using the icon on the homescreen is not effected by wallpaper usage.
    I have both but prefer BerryWeather pd, this is my current screen using the the wallpaper display.

*be sure your device has an OS that updates on the homescreen or neither icon nor wallpaper display will update.
    07-17-10 06:51 PM
    So now I am getting confused. My OS is 5.0 on a Sprint curve 8530. So how do I know if it updates on the homescreen? And is your weather that you have pictured above and icon/app or is it just displayed? I'm thinking that there's a difference with app and display. So I have the weatherbug app on my homescreen and say for instance, right now it shows a cloud w/ a lightening bolt and I can highlight it and it will give me the temp. I'm so confused now.
    07-17-10 07:50 PM
    So now I am getting confused. My OS is 5.0 on a Sprint curve 8530. So how do I know if it updates on the homescreen? And is your weather that you have pictured above and icon/app or is it just displayed? I'm thinking that there's a difference with app and display. So I have the weatherbug app on my homescreen and say for instance, right now it shows a cloud w/ a lightening bolt and I can highlight it and it will give me the temp. I'm so confused now.
    as far as updating on the homescreen there should be a setting in there to have it done automatically, and you can set how often

he is using the wallpaper setting, that isn't the normal display like you are describing...less confused now?
    07-17-10 08:30 PM
    It's a display, and the theme author included weather support so that pressing that area brings up my weather app no matter where I have the actual icon. I put the icon hidden with this theme since it's not needed, although I can have it on the homescreen if I don't want the wallpaper display.
    As to the OS not updating, that depends on what version. For those of us with Storm2's, they originally shipped with OS 5.0.0.320 which didn't update anything on homescreen but did in application list. Every version after .320 updates now. Just out yours on homescreen and see if it updates or not as I don't know which, if any, other OS versions have had that lack of updating problem.
    07-17-10 08:34 PM
    OMG, I should have left well enough alone when I thought I was understanding it just fine lol. Ok so I believe mine is updating automatically because 1. My version is .395 and 2. My icon does change with the weather. Now if you two are going to tell me something different so I get confused again, I'm gonna go back to my simple, little Katana II phone

I don't understand this whole wallpaper thing. Isn't the theme part of the wallpaper. Do ya know what I mean? I download them, my screen is of the theme. So what's with having the wallpaper?

I know, your about the throw your hands up in frustration. Trust me I know the feeling. Thanks guys!

07-17-10 10:37 PM
    OMG, I should have left well enough alone when I thought I was understanding it just fine lol. Ok so I believe mine is updating automatically because 1. My version is .395 and 2. My icon does change with the weather. Now if you two are going to tell me something different so I get confused again, I'm gonna go back to my simple, little Katana II phone

I don't understand this whole wallpaper thing. Isn't the theme part of the wallpaper. Do ya know what I mean? I download them, my screen is of the theme. So what's with having the wallpaper?

I know, your about the throw your hands up in frustration. Trust me I know the feeling. Thanks guys!

Omg a former Katana user - we had the original many moons ago, went from that to my 1st BB
    First things first - awesome that you have an OS that updates properly, now we can move on to the good stuff.
    All themes come with some sort of background of the author's choosing; most people change this to personalize their device - picture of kids, places visited or want to, random photos, other art. Here's the default wallpaper of the theme I'm using:

The above wallpaper is not accessible after installing the theme on my device; I'd need to ask the theme's author for a copy of it to use with the homescreen weather display.

Here's another shot, different wallpaper using BerryWeather:

And the wallpaper I'm using now, without BerryWeather display:

What I'm doing is using the "Homescreen Wallpaper" option in BerryWeather to display - at the bottom it says "Select Image", and then I select from images that are saved on my device. SimpleWeather is the same process, different menu and look though.
    07-17-10 11:28 PM
    You can also have it displayed for free. You can display a weather icon and weather info on your home screen if you come across a theme that has a slot for it. I've seen many free themes that would have the typical 6 icons docked at the bottom, while allowing the weather icon to be displayed in another location on the screen. It's usually placed in the top right corner. The theme maker can place it practically anywhere. That just seems to be the most common spot. When you move your weather icon to the 7th slot in your applications list, it will be displayed in that slot on your home screen. You can download BeWeather Free from BlackBerry App World. It's basically the free version of the popular BerryWeather app. Set the homescreen icon settings in BeWeather to Temp+Hi/Lo+Condition. It will be displayed on your home screen, and will update every 2 hours. Since it's free, it won't allow you to display the large icons on your home screen, it will only update every 2 hours. You can refresh it manually in between those times if you wish. Here's a capture image of my home screen set up using a theme I mentioned and BeWeather Free.

07-18-10 04:00 AM
    Hi genomos

can you tell me what is this theme ? I Like it
    07-18-10 06:12 AM
    Ok I think I got it now but one thing first. The theme I downloaded said it had a weather slot and hidden dock. Well now I don't know because the dock isn't hidden on my bb.

1. I have to have the wallpaper to my theme in order to "display" the weather and the display is not an icon?
    2. Wallpaper does not come with the theme, I would have to ask for it from the designer of the theme?
    3. Without the wallpaper, the only weather I can show on my homescreen is my weather icon? Which does show temp, high/low and clouds or sun.
    4. So my weatherbug right now can not be used as display only because I don't have the wallpaper?

I wanted the weather to display and that's why I started this thread but now I don't even care, it's pure determination to understand it...lol
    07-18-10 07:02 AM
    Just get the paid version of berryweather. It displays the live weather on your screen in a variety of sizes and areas, you can modify how often it updates, and you can use any theme you want.
    07-18-10 08:09 AM
    Oh dear. OK, let's go one thing at a time since I see some previous posts that might be confusing. Sorry about the size for anyone viewing mobile. >.<

Ok I think I got it now but one thing first. The theme I downloaded said it had a weather slot and hidden dock. Well now I don't know because the dock isn't hidden on my bb.
    Weather slot is usually a specific slot set apart for weather icons, or any icon you want to put there. Some themers call it the OCD slot. All you need to do for this is to put your weather app icon in the correct position for it to show in that slot, e.g: if it says slot 5, make sure it's the fifth icon on your application screen.
    A hidden dock is a row or line of icons that pops in and out of view with the press of a button or edge of screen (touchscreens).

Here's a couple screenshots of a theme with a hidden dock:

1. I have to have the wallpaper to my theme in order to "display" the weather and the display is not an icon?
    You need a wallpaper that is saved to your device as a picture - it doesn't have to be what your theme came with unless that's the one you want - then you need to have that saved to your device.

2. Wallpaper does not come with the theme, I would have to ask for it from the designer of the theme?
    All themes come with a wallpaper/background; it's just part of the theme and not a separate pic that suddenly appears. Some authors give the wallpaper to download and use with weather, most don't; if you want to have the weather displayed on the homescreen as a display (not the icon) and you want it displayed with the background (wallpaper) that came with the theme, then you need to ask the author for it unless the wallpaper was posted as a separate pic.

3. Without the wallpaper, the only weather I can show on my homescreen is my weather icon? Which does show temp, high/low and clouds or sun.
    Absolutely correct. And this is an option - you can display weather any way you want.

4. So my weatherbug right now can not be used as display only because I don't have the wallpaper?
    I could be wrong, but I don't believe weatherbug can do anything but icon display. I can't find any info that says it does; as far as I know BerryWeather and SimpleWeather are the only two that display weather on the homescreen like what I have.

I wanted the weather to display and that's why I started this thread but now I don't even care, it's pure determination to understand it...lol
    Deep breath, you're fine. You just need to find the weather app of your choice - there's free ones and paid ones; all the pics I'm posting have BerryWeather because I prefer BerryWeather over all the others, although it's the most expensive.
    Themes are the same way - there's free ones and premium (aka paid) and some have OCD slots for whatever icon you want to put there - weather, messages, most used app.
    07-18-10 05:28 PM
    Hi genomos

can you tell me what is this theme ? I Like it
    It's BeFroyo DOES by Ahaz and Jmal, Storm version.
    Last edited by genomos; 07-18-10 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Oversensitive touchpads suck.
    07-18-10 05:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD