gotten as low as -50MB before I finally do a battery pull. ...
    Down 50 Mb means you are still showing over 230 Mb of Free Memory when you feel the need to pull the battery. I start with about 15 Mb Free and I rarely drop below 5 Mb.

JVM DOES NOT MANAGE memory on MY phone. ...
    I don't know what to say about that, execpt, that is not possible.
    01-14-11 10:08 AM
    Down 50 Mb means you are still showing over 230 Mb of Free Memory when you feel the need to pull the battery. I start with about 15 Mb Free and I rarely drop below 5 Mb.

I don't know what to say about that, execpt, that is not possible.
    So your advice then is to let it keep going and not pull battery until I only have a few MBs left; if it goes that far?

Let me restate JVM Memory Manager does not manage my memory effectively, in my opinion, since I NEVER see an increase of any memory added back like others have suggested.

Is it normal for a phone to lose 40-50MB of memory in a 2-3 day period? And never recover it till a battery pull?
    I am seriously trying to find a way to deal with this. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you!
    01-14-11 10:24 AM
    So your advice then is to let it keep going and not pull battery until I only have a few MBs left; if it goes that far?
    Yes.

You have so much memory available that JVM is not concerned with recovery, yet. At some point, conditions will be optimum to recover memory.

I would really be interested in watching it work for a week or so. I suspect you will find it will stabilize with 100+ Mb in free memory. I do not expect you to encounter any negative effect of going a week.

01-14-11 10:50 AM
    On topic, Memory leaks are part of the Myth and Lore that surrounds BlackBerry. When I first began my exploration of the inner workings of the OS, I realized "memory leaks" are not the issue.

In early generations of software, memory management was the responsibility of the coder. If the coder asks for memory but never gives it back, it is a leak.

Sun Java VM is more advanced. Memory management becomes the responsibility of the kernel software. No classic memory leaks are possible.

What we see are the results of BlackBerry using memory. Memory is used to make data available on demand, buffering what you might need in the near future.

The automatic part kicks in when it is idle or other conditions trigger it. Memory is continually recycled.

It is possible to run out of memory, particularly with the 64 Mb models. When that happens, the spinning hour glass kicks in. That is the time when a battery pull is justified, flush all the caches and use the bandwidth to fill it back again.

Many of us take note of how much up-time we can accumulate. Alt + HELP / A + RACE will display how long it has been since you last restart. I have gone months in the past.
    I really like this answer. Thank you. Everone wants to multitask and auto update apps but want their memory to remain at 100% and want their data exchange to increase unless they are surfing. My nephew has an android and was complaining to me about memory and data leaking. Just looking at the device for a 2nd noticed he had weatherbug running. We dled him an app manger and he had 7 apps running that he thought closed when he backed out. As great as our devices are the work we ask of them comes at a price.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Reed McLay and CASH like this.
    01-14-11 01:21 PM
    I really like this answer. Thank you. Everone wants to multitask and auto update apps but want their memory to remain at 100% and want their data exchange to increase unless they are surfing. My nephew has an android and was complaining to me about memory and data leaking. Just looking at the device for a 2nd noticed he had weatherbug running. We dled him an app manger and he had 7 apps running that he thought closed when he backed out. As great as our devices are the work we ask of them comes at a price.

agreed! i have an app that shows me whats running too, it's very handy!
    01-14-11 01:55 PM

This is certainly NOT me. I know exactly what's running on my phone. I have 43 different processes running, including all the bbos processes, as well as apps that update regularly. I am quite aware of what's running. But I understand what you are saying even if you weren't speaking about me. I just didn't understand why my phone was NOT managing to gain back memory when other folks with the same model phone say to me "I don't lose any memory".

Thanks Reed for your explanation and advice! I am going to try to go as long as I can and see if my phone kicks into recovery mode eventually.
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 01-14-11 at 04:58 PM.
    01-14-11 04:54 PM
    can i just ask is bb meter worth getting? i know its free but does it do what it says?
    01-14-11 04:57 PM
    I am not familuar with that particular app, but I have tested several in the past. Many of us have come to the conclusion, they are not worth the space they occupy and certainly not worth spending any money to acquire.

At best, they can accelerate the automatic process by doing a forced garbage collection on demand.

I am going to try to go as long as I can and see if my phone kicks into recovery mode eventually.
    I am looking forward to your results. Memory is a resource a computer uses to optimize performance, it is pointless to have a huge amount of memory sitting unused.
    01-14-11 06:11 PM
    I am not familuar with that particular app, but I have tested several in the past. Many of us have come to the conclusion, they are not worth the space they occupy and certainly not worth spending any money to acquire.

At best, they can accelerate the automatic process by doing a forced garbage collection on demand.

I am looking forward to your results. Memory is a resource a computer uses to optimize performance, it is pointless to have a huge amount of memory sitting unused.
    downloaded it and it just seems to be a detailed version of status in options so far!
    01-14-11 06:16 PM
    This is certainly NOT me. I know exactly what's running on my phone. I have 43 different processes running, including all the bbos processes, as well as apps that update regularly. I am quite aware of what's running. But I understand what you are saying even if you weren't speaking about me. I just didn't understand why my phone was NOT managing to gain back memory when other folks with the same model phone say to me "I don't lose any memory".
    Oh I wasn't saying that about you. I was saying in general.

Thanks Reed for your explanation and advice! I am going to try to go as long as I can and see if my phone kicks into recovery mode eventually.
    Oh I wasn't saying that about you. It was a general statement.

01-14-11 08:09 PM
    I would listen to Reed, he know's what he's talking about. He also created the legendary optimization guide. I learned from him.
    ria__x likes this.
    01-14-11 08:14 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD