I am sorry if I seem a bit of a Luddite, but I obtained my first "smart phone" a week ago. While I have been programming for decades, I used phones only for talking, until now. I just 'upgraded' my phone to the Blackberry Z10, and am still learning how best to use it.

But my most urgent problem at hand is that I am weeks away from deploying a web app based on Apache's OFBiz project. That is a web app that provides reasonably full featured ERP capability. One of the modules in it provides for managing inventory, and one potential customer asked me for a solution that would make it easy for him to have product delivered to a job site, and to take an inventory of the products so delivered, as well as to take inventory at a job site both at the start and at the end of the work day, so he can more easily track use of product at each job site (this man is a contractor). Now, I have downloaded the bar code reader from s4bb, but, while playing with it (and it seems to work fine, and was easy to use), I have yet to figure out how to use my phone to read the bar code on various products, and have it enter the relevant data in plain text in a web form. If I can over-come this hurdle, taking inventory anywhere becomes a simple matter of reading the bar code and then entering a number representing how much of the scanned product is on hand. Can this be done? If so, how? (and if so, is there a bar code reader that will serve this purpose that will work on ANY smart phone?). If there isn't somethign ready made for this (and cross platform), what would it take either for me to program it (and what tools would I use - I am an old hand at programming, C++, perl, &c., but nothing on a smart phone), or to contract someone to develop it for me (are we talking something that could be completed in a day or two, or would it take many months - whether or not I pursue this will depend on expected cost); or would one of the companies that already have bar code readers be willing to make something? As I see it, it ought to be simple, as bar code readers have been around for decades and conventional apps just treat them as another input device like a mouse or keyboard (I have programmed touchscreens, which I found to be dirt simple to do, but that was for an embedded computer, done in C++).

My nephew is the closest thing to a Blackberry expert in the area in which I live, and he recommended that I ask in this forum.

I will appreciate any assistance anyone can provide.

Thanks

Ted
    04-11-13 10:17 PM
    You're looking for a bar code reader that reads the bar codes on product that you have to inventory and automatically puts the information into a form that is stored online? Is that correct?
    04-11-13 10:29 PM
    You're looking for a bar code reader that reads the bar codes on product that you have to inventory and automatically puts the information into a form that is stored online? Is that correct?
    Yes. The form itself is HTML + JavaScript, served to any browser, by a Tomcat application server.
    04-11-13 10:33 PM
    I'm quite certain you will need to write your own app for this or hire someone to come it for you. That sounds like a very specific task you're needing.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-13 11:52 PM
    I'm quite certain you will need to write your own app for this or hire someone to come it for you. That sounds like a very specific task you're needing.

Posted via CB10
    That begs the question as to what tools I would need to use to do it myself, or who I cna turn to who is reliable and who has the skills to get it done at a cost I can afford? I have all the tools I need to develop applications for a desktop, regardless of whether it is running some flavour of Windows or a server running Linux. But I haven't tried to develop an application for a smart phone.
    04-17-13 08:01 PM
    Hi,
    As for me, I am testing the related
    online pdf-417 barcode generator these days. Do you have any ideas about it? Or any good suggestion? I am totally a green hand on barcode generating and reading field. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Arron
    06-17-14 10:51 PM