I read that if I got Google Voice and put the Google number as my 5 friends and family numbers (who I can call with no airtime charges) through Verizon, I can drop my minutes plan down to 900 from 1350 because I won't be using them.
    So I get that and so does Verizon making you buy a 900 minute plan to have friends and family numbers at all-lol.
    But where I need help is which number do I put in friends & family? Is it my Google voice or the number that appears on my phone when I make a call using Google Voice (access number)?
    I've read people have seen the access number change every 3 or 4 days. I just got it yesterday so have only seen one access number.

Also where do I find the newest OTA version to download? I'm actually having trouble finding it. Right now I have 0.1.6.
    Oh, do I need to change any of my BB settings??
    Thanks SO MUCH!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-26-09 07:58 AM
    I read that if I got Google Voice and put the Google number as my 5 friends and family numbers (who I can call with no airtime charges) through Verizon, I can drop my minutes plan down to 900 from 1350 because I won't be using them.
    So I get that and so does Verizon making you buy a 900 minute plan to have friends and family numbers at all-lol.
    But where I need help is which number do I put in friends & family? Is it my Google voice or the number that appears on my phone when I make a call using Google Voice (access number)?
    I've read people have seen the access number change every 3 or 4 days. I just got it yesterday so have only seen one access number.

Also where do I find the newest OTA version to download? I'm actually having trouble finding it. Right now I have 0.1.6.
    Oh, do I need to change any of my BB settings??
    Thanks SO MUCH!!

I'd be glad to help but I'm still looking for a Voice invite (hint hint). From what I've read though, your answer has to do with HOW you set up your GV -- whether you're using your mobile # or your Google number.

I can't post a link yet but there's good info about this at google>voice>more information. Surf around. Good luck
    12-27-09 10:02 AM
    you have to give your friends and family the GV number to use exclusively and make sure your GV number is pointed towards your cell number.
    In GV settings you can either chose to display GV number for caller ID, or forward through the Caller ID for the other callers.
    As long as use the GV number and you have it set as a Friends and Family number you should be fine receiving.
    12-27-09 10:22 AM
    I knew I came to the right people to get help (the correct help I might add).

I actually bought my invite from a guy on Ebay who sent it in 12 hours and was a power seller w/lots of feedback. It cost me $2.00 which is worth it to save 40-50 a month on the cell bill. He sells direct through his own site too (buy 2 invites, get 3 free or something like that).You can PM me for the sellers name if there's anyone who wants to buy an invite from someone trustworthy.

I did apply for a GV number so if I get the invite, I will happily send you the link!! You helped me, I'll help you

I'm getting the hang of it. I though I could have my google voice number "hidden" and since I was forwarding to my cell I wouldn't have to tell everyone that I have a new mumber. But should have known nothing that saves money is gonna be that simple.

There was something called Gizmo5 which apperently when intergrated with Google Voice did use your Google # but showed the call was coming from your cell but Gizmo5 is closed to new applicants.

So for now I think I can give people my new number rather than give Verizon $165 a month!
    Thanks all!!

12-28-09 06:59 AM
    I'm not yet able to PM anyone yet....but thanks for the offer

Since I'm with Sprint, the only $ I'll be saving is the cost of calling VM if I'm over minutes. Otherwise I'm in it for the convenience of transcripted voice messeges..

Ideally, I would love a VOIP for my BB (without Wi-Fi) (I think it's called SIP?). It's coming soon, I'm sure of it...
    12-28-09 07:19 PM
    You need to know your access number (I believe) if you are using the native GV app.
    12-28-09 10:01 PM
    Two things to consider:

1. Outgoing Calls -- you would need to add your Google Voice ACCESS # that shows up when you dial a call. I've used google voice for months now, and initially yes it was changing every week or so. In the last month and a half, my access number has stayed the same. This is the # I have added to my Sprint pick 3. Thus, any outgoing calls through my Google Voice App are not against my plan minutes.

2. Incoming Calls - others correctly covered this. You would need to additionally add your Google Voice # to your 'calling circle'. Also, in your GOogle Voice Settings , need to set it to display your GV # for incoming calls. If you have people dial your GV #, it will show on your caller ID as only a call through GV, and you wont know who's calling at the moment. This call though would be free. If you miss a call, you can check your google voice APP and refresh history to see who called.

Version .16 is the latest. Hope I helped.
    12-28-09 10:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD