I want to try the latest version of the OS for my 8900 (I currently have version 4.6.231 installed), but if it doesn't do what I want, I want to be able to go back to the previous version with everything EXACTLY the way it was before the OS upgrade.

Can someone please explain to me (or point me to a FAQ) what backup procedure I should follow, and, just as importantly, the RESTORE procedure, so that I can do this?

Thanks!
    05-14-10 11:58 AM
    I want to try the latest version of the OS for my 8900 (I currently have version 4.6.231 installed), but if it doesn't do what I want, I want to be able to go back to the previous version with everything EXACTLY the way it was before the OS upgrade.

Can someone please explain to me (or point me to a FAQ) what backup procedure I should follow, and, just as importantly, the RESTORE procedure, so that I can do this?

Thanks!
    What you can do is use the desktop manager to backup all ur phone data (contacts,sms,emails,call logs etc). If u have any third party apps u can use bbsak to back it up. hope this helps.
    05-14-10 01:17 PM
    Thanks for your reply... but I was really looking for a more comprehensive answer. I don't think I'll be able to restore the old OS, all the apps, and the settings, simply by following your directions. For example, wouldn't I need to delete the Desktop Manager software that comes with the new OS, and then reinstall the OLD Desktop Manager software before doing anything else? Are there any other steps which need to be taken to do a downgrade (as opposed to an upgrade)?
    05-15-10 08:35 PM
    downgrading will require you to wipe the device since the higher installed OS, will not allow you to install a lower version.

chances are, you will never want to go back to 4.6 after getting a taste of what 5.0 has to offer. when you install the new OS via the loader.exe file, it does a full backup (settings, emails, messages and 3rd party apps). i would suggest that you do the upgrade via the loader file. then assess if you want to keep the new OS or not. at that time, you can go about doing a complete backup of your own in order to wipe and revert back.
    05-16-10 11:16 PM
    Thanks for your reply.

We're getting there... but there's still information missing... :-)

1) If I want to do a FULL, 100%, complete backup -- one which contains EVERYTHING currently on my Blackberry (OS, apps, 3rd party apps, settings, emails, SMS etc), and one from which I can restore my Blackberry to its current status, what do I do? If I use my current Desktop Manager to do this, I won't be able to use Desktop Manager to get it back onto my Blackberry, right?

2) Having got an answer to #1, above, I'll end up with some kind of backup file. Now, assuming I want to go back to my old OS, with all its apps, 3rd party apps, settings, emails, SMS, etc, how do I restore my Blackberry to its pre-OS upgrade condition using the file I created in step #1, above? You mentioned having to wipe it, but how? Once it's wiped, how do I restore the old OS, apps, 3rd party apps, settings, emails, SMS etc that were on it before?

3) Having backed up my old OS, apps, 3rd party apps, settings, email, SMS, etc, and installed the new OS, how do I import the settings, email, SMS etc back into my Blackberry so that they're available in the new OS? Or do they not get deleted during the OS upgrade?

vins_666 told me I can use Desktop Manager to backup what's on my phone data, but didn't explain how to get it back (which software or app to use, or the procedure to do it).

dictoresno told me I'd need to wipe my Blackberry in order to revert back to the old OS, but didn't tell me how to wipe it, or how to get the data back from my backup file(s). This statement was confusing: "You can go about doing a complete backup of your own in order to wipe and revert back." Isn't that what I was asking how to do? :-)

Sorry if it seems I'm being dumb... I'm just hoping someone can give me step-by-step instructions (or point me to a FAQ which covers it) on how to back up EVERYTHING on my Blackberry, and restore EVERYTHING the way it was, if necessary. I can't be the first person who has needed this information, surely? :-)

Thanks again.
    05-18-10 01:43 PM

2) Having got an answer to #1, above, I'll end up with some kind of backup file. Now, assuming I want to go back to my old OS, with all its apps, 3rd party apps, settings, emails, SMS, etc, how do I restore my Blackberry to its pre-OS upgrade condition using the file I created in step #1, above? You mentioned having to wipe it, but how? Once it's wiped, how do I restore the old OS, apps, 3rd party apps, settings, emails, SMS etc that were on it before?

3) Having backed up my old OS, apps, 3rd party apps, settings, email, SMS, etc, and installed the new OS, how do I import the settings, email, SMS etc back into my Blackberry so that they're available in the new OS? Or do they not get deleted during the OS upgrade?
    if you upgrade by using the loader.exe method, the loading process will automatically backup EVERYTHING on the phone, including 3rd party programs, emails, SMS and settings and load it back onto the new OS after its done installing it. if you want to do a manual backup, use Desktop Manager. yet this will only backup everything except 3rd party apps. you will need to do one of two things in order to back those up. one is download a program called BBSAK (blackberry swiss army knife). it runs with a GUI that has buttons you click for commands. one command is to back up 3rd party programs. if you want to do it using DM, read the following thread...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

in order to restore your phone back to the old OS if you dont like the new one, you can use BBSAK to wipe the OS off of it, then reinstall the old OS. then, use DM to load the backup file you created earlier (the .ipd file) and then load the apps you backed up.

like i said to you before, stop worrying so much about it. do a basic backup in DM. then install the new 5.0 OS via the loader.exe process. it will automatically backup everything and reload it upon completion. i guarentee you wont be going back to 4.6 once you experience 5.0.
    05-19-10 03:22 AM
    I would love for there to be a way to take a full image of my BB... one file, one image, everything on it. Like CloneZilla or Ghost for the BB. Nirvana...
    05-19-10 08:09 PM
    I followed dictoresno's instructions, above, and bit the bullet! The upgrade took about 10 minutes and went flawlessly, with the exception that BBAlerts' settings didn't get transferred across so I had to do that manually. I must say, after tweaking the interface a bit, it's great! Loving version 5!

Thanks everyone for your help.

Oh, and yeah, I agree, an imaging app would be great!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-10 11:00 PM
    I followed dictoresno's instructions, above, and bit the bullet! The upgrade took about 10 minutes and went flawlessly, with the exception that BBAlerts' settings didn't get transferred across so I had to do that manually. I must say, after tweaking the interface a bit, it's great! Loving version 5!

Thanks everyone for your help.

Oh, and yeah, I agree, an imaging app would be great!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    i wont say i told ya so.
    05-19-10 11:40 PM
    The only problem I'm having with version 5 of the OS... is that Voice Dialing (either while holding the handset, or via a Bluetooth headset) just does not work! Before, it would easily understand "Call John Smith, work one" and dial his number. Now, it simply won't understand any name! It will dial numbers ("Call 1 310 123 4567") no problem, but even simple names do not work. I've even tried adapting the voice dialer, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?
    05-20-10 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD