Options > Advanced > Service Book > FACEBOOK > Menu Key (BB logo) > Delete

try it
    Worked like a charm, thanks a lot.
    06-25-08 08:53 PM
    Thanks, finally got rid of the icon!!!
    06-25-08 11:58 PM
    oh dang, finally got rid of them!
    nice tip.
    I've been trying for almost a week to do that.
    06-26-08 12:09 AM
    Are you guys doing a battery pull after clearing facebook? Because I have tried deleting handango and facebook through the service book. And although the icons are gone after I follow those steps, they come back after doing a battery pull.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-08 12:54 AM
    Well you could always just hide it.
    06-26-08 12:57 AM
    Well...yeah, but I'm never ever going to use it. And every bit of memory counts, I need to delete handango in hand and facebook..

06-26-08 01:03 AM

try it
    Great directions. Thanks.
    06-26-08 12:58 PM
    Nope I didn't do a battery pull I just turned off the phone. Worked for me. Its very rare that I do a battery pull. But that's just me.

06-26-08 02:47 PM
    battery pulls are good for you BB youll see a big jump in terms of memory when you do it. there are some apps that dont require a device restart, some will tell you the device needs to be restarted in order for the deletion to be completed
    06-26-08 03:25 PM
    Well...yeah, but I'm never ever going to use it. And every bit of memory counts, I need to delete handango in hand and facebook..

How do you delete Handango? that an app i wouldnt mind getting rid of. let me know if it can be done.
    06-26-08 03:27 PM
    Im also curious about deleting handango...and facebook for that matter. The service book technique does not work for me...after a battery pull both icons are back. So im a bit confused as to how this is working for everyone else..
    06-26-08 03:36 PM
    Im also curious about deleting handango...and facebook for that matter. The service book technique does not work for me...after a battery pull both icons are back. So im a bit confused as to how this is working for everyone else..
    Shory and anyone else looking to get rid of these apps. I just did the following and did a battery pull after and they are all finally gone.

Click on the icon you are trying to get rid of and it will bring you to a download screen. Download the app. Once it is installed go into your applications list and it will be there. Delete the application. Once its done it will ask to restart click no. Then go into your service books and delete the service book for that app (facebook or whichever you just deleted from applications). Do these stepes for each unwanted carrier application one at a time and then do a battery pull after all are done. They should be gone.

Please note if you have to resend your service books for any reason in the future these will probably come back but atleast now you can remove them.

Hope this works for you. It did for me
    06-27-08 04:07 PM
    ok its not in my service books either but i have the icon however I do have 4.5 so maybe there is another way its not in applications either
    06-27-08 07:32 PM
    I deleted it and after a battery pull the icon comes back so I just delete it again......No biggie.
    06-27-08 07:40 PM

try it
    I've done this several times. T-Mobile apparently has some sort of reader than senses if facebook has been removed from your service books and reinstalls it.

Yuck. I can't get rid of it.
    06-27-08 08:04 PM
    NDO, thank you for your suggestion. So here's what I did, tell me if I did this wrong.

I clicked both the handango and facebook icons. I downloaded both apps. They finally showed up in the applications list, I chose to delete both of them. When it asked if I wanted to restart I clicked no. Then I went to the service book and deleted the 2 entries associated with facebook and handango. I did a battery pull....and they both are still back!

Please let me know if I did something wrong, these 2 apps annoy me lol.

Thanks for the help

06-27-08 08:11 PM
    it will still show an icon because is a default and service books out an install icon on the screen so just hide it
    06-27-08 08:26 PM
    Then I went to the service book and deleted the 2 entries associated with facebook and handango.
    As mentioned in my last post, I think T-Mobile has some sort of system that reloads these programs to your phone if they are removed. I removed both of them awhile back and recently noted they had returned. Now, as soon as I delete them, they get reloaded into my service books. I can no longer get rid of these programs.
    06-27-08 08:28 PM
    As mentioned in my last post, I think T-Mobile has some sort of system that reloads these programs to your phone if they are removed. I removed both of them awhile back and recently noted they had returned. Now, as soon as I delete them, they get reloaded into my service books. I can no longer get rid of these programs.
    Thats wrong actually because i have T-mobile and I was able to get rid of them both.
    My process was this, I deleted Facebook from the applications list (because it only gave me the one option), then did the restart.

After the restart, go into the servicebooks
    (Options > Advanced > Service Book > FACEBOOK > Menu Key (BB logo) > Delete)
    and delete the one that says "BC_Virtual_Preload_Facebook."

As for handango, look for the one that says Handango in the filename in the servicebooks as well, as there is no link through the applications list, I forget what exactly the filename is.
    Then finally just turn the phone off manually, without doing a battery pull.

Now I dunno if this only worked for me because I'm on OS 4.5, but it worked.
    06-27-08 09:11 PM
    Ok but have you done a battery pull since then? Because after I did they came back.

06-27-08 09:38 PM
    Thats wrong actually because i have T-mobile and I was able to get rid of them both.
    My process was this, I deleted Facebook from the applications list (because it only gave me the one option), then did the restart.

After the restart, go into the servicebooks
    (Options > Advanced > Service Book > FACEBOOK > Menu Key (BB logo) > Delete)
    and delete the one that says "BC_Virtual_Preload_Facebook."

As for handango, look for the one that says Handango in the filename in the servicebooks as well, as there is no link through the applications list, I forget what exactly the filename is.
    Then finally just turn the phone off manually, without doing a battery pull.

Now I dunno if this only worked for me because I'm on OS 4.5, but it worked.
    I followed these steps and once again....after doing a battery pull both apps came back. I am pretty much convinced that the only way to remove these apps is to go in and delete some obscure files in the java folder. Im becoming quite frustrated
    06-27-08 09:59 PM
    yup, i'm having the same issue, but with multiple programs,,, i deleted the application, which would still show the icon,,, then I would go and deleted the service book, and then the icon would disappear,,, after a battery pull, the icons would be back, along with a service book,,,

I say they:
    Realtone
    FaceBook
    Handango
    Magmic Bplay
    Digby
    Telenav
    Handmark
    GoogleTalk

How do I keep service books from automatically re-appearing? other than not doing a battery pull, lol
    07-06-08 01:13 PM
    Has anyone found a way to delete these icons for good?
    03-20-09 07:38 PM
    No.

They are pushed by the carrier, so there's nothing you can do. It's not within your control.

Hide them and just be done with it.
    03-20-09 07:41 PM
    ^Thanks.I kind of figured that was the case...
    03-20-09 08:54 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD