The Tour is my first BB. I know most apps have to be closed by hitting the BB button and selecting close. Is there is way to know which apps can just be closed by hitting the back button and which need to be closed? Is there a list somewhere? Is there a setting where you can have the back button close the app?
    11-21-09 04:50 PM
    BB button, scroll down to close/exit
    11-21-09 04:56 PM
    You'll be better off closing all of your apps that way. There are a few that will pop up with a text box asking if youare sure you would like to quit, but its a good habit to close them through the menu.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-09 05:00 PM
    The Tour is my first BB. I know most apps have to be closed by hitting the BB button and selecting close. Is there is way to know which apps can just be closed by hitting the back button and which need to be closed? Is there a list somewhere? Is there a setting where you can have the back button close the app?
    There is no option that can modify how an application is closed; that is all individually based. You could experiment with each individual application in order to determine whether or not escaping out completely closes that application. Best practice is always to select close/exit from the menu.
    11-21-09 05:00 PM
    Lol no there is not a list or a setting...you'll eventually just figure it out. For example, launch an app, click the back button, and then press and hold the bb key to see if its still running. If it is, then you know you need to select menu and close first. Some apps, like the bb browser, can be closed by pressing and holding the back button. Most apps however will go into the background when pressing and holding the back button. Either way, pressing and holding the bb key is the fastest way to see if an app is running or not. I know facebook will also close while backing out...aim will not, pandora will not, gmaps will not...there's no list-you just need to go through and see for yourself. Best thing to do is menu-close an app manually anyway, just to be sure its closed. After all, why keep it open if not in use...they load fast enough anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-09 05:01 PM
    having pressed and held the BB button, which displays several apps (which I'm told indicates "open applications") and then subsequently opening them, opening menu and selecting the "close" button ......this is CLOSING the app?! If so, I guess the 6 apps that ALWAYS show up when i hold the BB key are not "closeable"?! VVM, Browser, BBM, Home, Messages, and Call Log.....ALWAYS show up when I hold the BB button, regardless of if I go through the aformentioned "close process".

Am I straight on this "closing" business ?!! It's been confusing as ****. I think an app is closed, only to hold the BB button and it show that it's open.
    01-13-10 08:36 AM
    There are some BB apps that never close as you have discovered. Even using Menu-Close only puts them in the background and they continue to run (or, at least, be in the ready).

Then there are some apps that run in the background but do not show in the 'RIBBON' (which is what some folks call that screen that shows when you press/hold the BB button). Autostandby was one of those - once invoked, it runs but does not show up.

Then I use MSDICT (multilanguage dictionaries) and it runs on startup. I use to be able to close it but since installing OS 5, it will NOT close. It runs in the background (not doing anything until I use it, but it is loaded).
    01-13-10 08:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD