Hello,
    I am a new owner of a BB 9700, i am currently with Tmobile. they have given me a free basic data plan not the bb data package some of the apps like Beehive and WhatApp work fine, however when i try to use other apps such as Facebook and MSN Messenger, nor am i able to get my hotmail emails. i keep getting an error "unable to reach the server" when i was at the Tmobile store the sales person told me i should be able to make everything work if i know how to work around it. i have played with the settings but no luck. my cousin who has an Iphone he is able to do all of it with the same basic data plan. any ideas here...! Thanks for the help.
    11-28-10 06:19 AM
    Turn WiFi on. That should help WiFi always get top priority

Hope this helps,
    Redz120
    11-28-10 06:36 AM
    Facebook and Windows Live Messenger are RIM apps. They require a BLACKBERRY Data Plan in order to work even over WiFi.

In addition, push email will not work without the proper data plan. Pay for the proper data plan or accept the limitations. Those are your options.

BlackBerry devices are different from other devices.

There's no "work around".
    11-28-10 07:37 AM
    Most of the native apps use RIM's servers to push messages to your BlackBerry. Facebook, Twitter, and the native IM apps all do this. To be able to push messages to your BB, you have to have a BlackBerry data plan - no way around that.

Well... the way around it is to use apps that don't use push, such as BeeJive, SocialScope, and so on.
    11-28-10 09:49 AM
    BlackBerry devices are different from other devices.
    ".
    Which it really sucks, pretty much you are telling me if i get rid of my BB and get an Iphone such as my cousin has everything will work as it suppose to but with the BB it s all restrictions...
    11-28-10 03:32 PM
    Which it really sucks, pretty much you are telling me if i get rid of my BB and get an Iphone such as my cousin has everything will work as it suppose to but with the BB it s all restrictions...
    Pretty much. You could get an unlocked iphone, get the cheapest web package
    on TMO, and all you'd have to do is unlock the APN and everything will work
    flawlessly.
    11-28-10 04:00 PM
    I wouldn't call them "restrictions", but whatever works best for you.

Sounds like that means an iPhone. Good luck.
    11-28-10 04:13 PM
    That's an odd way to set up data plans... on Rogers, you have to have a BlackBerry data plan to have BIS access, but the price points and data allotments are the same as general data plan (ie. no additional BIS fee).
    11-28-10 04:22 PM
    Thanks guys for the replies, yeah as much as i like my BB im gonna have to get rid of it and get an Iphone, thats the only way for me to take full advantage of the free data package im given by TMO, thanks again
    11-29-10 01:51 AM
    And mention to the store's Manager about the salesman who said "you can get things to work if you know how to work around it." He lied to sell you the phone, OR he is incompetent.
    11-29-10 07:12 AM
    OP sounds like a 15 year old who got intso something he cannot afford.

People really buy blackberries for the wrong reason. If the reason you wanted it wsa for msn and facebook then you should have gotten an iphone in the first place.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-10 07:19 AM
    OP sounds like a 15 year old who got intso something he cannot afford.

People really buy blackberries for the wrong reason. If the reason you wanted it wsa for msn and facebook then you should have gotten an iphone in the first place.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Whether someone buys something for the wrong reason (as you put it), it's still their money and they can buy something to use it as they please.
    11-29-10 08:08 AM
    Reps like that shouldn't have jobs. And also customers should do research before going in to buy a device. I hate how people are misinformed and then they find out the hard way they can't use the device as they had hoped.
    11-30-10 12:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD